Smiths 3-link couplings - all magnetic links supplied now?

• RMweb Gold

In my fumbled attempts to buy a couple of packs of Smiths screw link couplings yesterday, I of course picked up two packs of 3-links from the stand at Railex, paid for them and didn't examine them until I had slit open the packs at home this morning. Not the end of the world, because I always need 3-links as well as screw links, and completely my fault for not checking at the time...

However, upon closer examination it now seems that Smiths are supplying all magnetic links in these packs (so no non-magnetic links in either of the packs). Previously, you bought all non-magnetic links, and then had the option of buying a pack of magnetic links, so that you could assemble them with just the last link as a magnetic one.

I've found that 3-link couplngs made up of all magnetic links just dog-knot themselves as soon as anything magnetic is anywhere near them, and that what works well is when just the final link is magnetic.

So, whilst it's not a major problem to make up your own non-magnetic links from some brass wire and a suitably-sized oval former, it may be a slight trap for the unwary, hence my posting this here (Mods feel free to move it elsewhere if that's where it should belong, I wasn't totally sure if it should go here or in 'Small Suppliers').

Could you mix and match with the Exactoscale ones...or is there an appearance/significant price difference between the two? I'm fairly certain Exacto don't do magnetic 3 link - I could be wrong as I rarely do anything with wagons....yet.

Mike

Great to finally meet you on the weekend!

Captain,

when I had my last lot of Smiths couplings in ...a month or so ago they were as normal ...non magnetic ...the magnetic links are code LP3 and sold as loose links only ..no hooks etc ...they are also a slightly heavier gauge wire ....

the only thing I can think of is that maybe a "new packer" has just made a mistake with some packets ???

Regards Trevor .... :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify Rod's question - they were packs of links and coupling hooks. Having glimpsed the 8 hooks in the pack, I then blithely assumed that I had found the screw links....

I tend to prefer the Smiths hooks, Mike, because under exhibition conditions I find them much easier to use than any other type, even though they are slightly overscale (I think that even that looks better than most types of 'auto-couplers). I do have some stock with Masokits or other hooks, but these can be a bit awkward during a show, when you've been on the go for a few hours already and your arms are getting tired....

I use Exactoscale links and the bottom link is black mild steel garden wire,

or some lengths of magnetic wire that use to be sold by PC models,

wound round a 'tweaked' flat nose pliers (also used to close the Exactoscale links)..

I find I have to be careful with Smiths packets because I sometimes end up with the smaller links (LP10) rather than the brass ones (LP1) which are larger and easier to couple and uncouple.

Looking through Andrew Hartshorne's lists I see they do do a pack of magnetic links (LP3F); as someone has suggested, is this a packing mistake?

These are packets including drawhooks Tim or just links? I bought some Smith's links only from the Ambis stand and will have a check of those later.

I have bought packs of 36 links from Ambis which contain 24 plain and 12 magnetic links

Archived