Bridge deck, Carlisle Crown Street Goods

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help with identifying the type of bridge deck here, the approach to Carlisle Crown Street goods. I had originally thought this was a waybeam bridge with rail fastened to longitudinal timbers but inspection of all available photographs suggest some sort of concrete construction, even during demolition it still looks fairly light coloured.

post-1643-0-76592700-1338483442.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

Michael, I've had a look through my books and the best photo of the bridge I can find is on P63 of Irwell's 'Steam City - Carlisle'.

The photo is from July '66, so the track has by now been lifted. The light-coloured area appears to have a pretty definite demarcation line, typical of a bridge deck and it does look to me like concrete. This notion is supported (if you'll pardon the contextual pun!) by concrete abutments at the landward ends of the side girders. Probably worth a second opinion but I'm fairly certain that the deck is concrete. If I'm not mistaken, Peter Brock described this as a frail bridge during his footplate days in the 1950s so it's likely some action was taken to remedy this situation later in the decade - the style certainly looks consistent with the kind of new and modified bridges built during the construction of the New Yard at Kingmoor in the 1959-62 period.

Hope the info is useful for you.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

That sounds useful, could you Email me a scan of the photo you mention? Do you know of any surviving bridge decks of this type, or clearer photos of others? The period of the layout is about 1960-62, photo below shows progress so far, temporary aluminium deck on the bridge in question.

post-1643-0-72339100-1338528427_thumb.jpg

Scary/ Awesome - which sounds like a SCISSOR SISTERS track!

I can imagine proper Waverley Route action being played out on those interlaced main lines. Fantastic Michael, be sure to keep us updated! Pleeeeeze!!!

• RMweb Premium

A few more photos, the first train to run anywhere on the layout, off the return loops which represent the Cumbrian coast lines, yours truly working in the distance. This is less than a third of the whole thing. A view from the north end of Citadel station and Peter Leyland's magnificent Victoria viaduct. the whole thing measures 30m x 6m.

post-1643-0-57306900-1338806413_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-16855500-1338806491_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-66651500-1338806524_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Did I spot two Co-Bos on a Condor in the first picture..... Shame you can't see the weathering(!)

Layout is very scary - Can we have a club "day" out to play with it when its finished? Perhaps Coachman needs to come along as well...

Guest Max Stafford

Why's there a passenger train coming out of Crown Street though? ;-)

In any case I don't really care because the scale and magnificence of this project bludgeons my senses such is its staggering enormity! This is railway modelling on an EPIC scale and the imagined size of the required stock-list is mildly terrifying to this man!

It must have taken up an incredible amount of man-hourage to get to even this stage.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one! ;-)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Did I spot two Co-Bos on a Condor in the first picture..... Shame you can't see the weathering(!)

Layout is very scary - Can we have a club "day" out to play with it when its finished? Perhaps Coachman needs to come along as well...

That's the whole Condor train, all 27 Conflat P and a Stove R for the guard, as you can see it fills platform 1. Club trip would be a good idea, it's a long way though and I don't know if we'll all live long enough to see it finished!

• RMweb Premium

Why's there a passenger train coming out of Crown Street though? ;-)

In any case I don't really care because the scale and magnificence of this project bludgeons my senses such is its staggering enormity! This is railway modelling on an EPIC scale and the imagined size of the required stock-list is mildly terrifying to this man!

It must have taken up an incredible amount of man-hourage to get to even this stage.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one! ;-)

Dave.

No passenger train out of Crown Street, we haven't laid any track there yet. The one in the photo above is coming off the M&C towards the station. I know how many hours I've put in on this but lots of other people are involved as well, including Alistair Rolfe (No Nonsense Kits) who sadly died just after he had more or less finished the baseboards. I've just got back from a 2 day research visit to Carlisle, I've only been there twice before and that was only on the station, walking round the goods lines and junctions was strangely familiar even though we hadn't been there before, Judith was asking where in the layout room we were at times. I'll keep posting some more photos as we progress.

I haven't found out for certain about the bridge deck but I'm sure it's concrete, flat bottom rail on the bridge as well but can't see how it's fastened or whether there are timber longitudinal beams on the concrete.

Does anyone know of a similar bridge elsewhere whivh might be still extant, I looked around Kingmoor today but didn't find any others - at least not any that I could see.

Guest Max Stafford

Oh, stupid me, I was looking at it from the opposite viewpoint. I'm afraid it doesn't take much to confuse me these days but it all makes perfect sense now! Will you be incorporating the triangular connection between London Rd Junc. and the Goods avoiding line at Upperby? Even as a 'backstage' component I would imagine it's a pretty important element of the trip working pattern. Looks like you'll be adding Viaduct Yard at some point too!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, stupid me, I was looking at it from the opposite viewpoint. I'm afraid it doesn't take much to confuse me these days but it all makes perfect sense now! Will you be incorporating the triangular connection between London Rd Junc. and the Goods avoiding line at Upperby? Even as a 'backstage' component I would imagine it's a pretty important element of the trip working pattern. Looks like you'll be adding Viaduct Yard at some point too!

Dave.

No room for that, the layout curves towards the fiddle yard here, similarly the room isn't wide enough for Bog Junction to Currock Junction so all that lovely pointwork at Bog Junction doesn't really serve any purpose. We are going to do some of Viaduct Yard, we have all the pointwork for the N end but it will have to be an edited version.

Guest Max Stafford

The layout is so massive that no one will worry about a little selective editing of the plan, Michael, least of all me! One thing I look forward to seeing here is the outrageous variety of signal box architecture, from the LNW design shown at No4 box to the big ARP type at the opposite end and the slightly odd Caley hotchpotch creation where the goods lines run in to rejoin the mainline at Caldewgate!

Dave.

• 5 months later...

How have I missed this layout!

Yes, I was wondering how I had missed this too! This is a truly astonishing project and as a long time LMS/LMR enthusiast I shall be watching its progress with avid interest. Is it actually bigger than Jackson's Retford? Whether yes or no, I don't care, because it dwarfs my own meagre efforts to create Hest Bank in 00 and it will give me a new focus on RMweb.

Congratulations to your team (I assume you must have one) and good luck for the future.

Terry D

Yes, I was wondering how I had missed this too! This is a truly astonishing project and as a long time LMS/LMR enthusiast I shall be watching its progress with avid interest. Is it actually bigger than Jackson's Retford? Whether yes or no, I don't care, because it dwarfs my own meagre efforts to create Hest Bank in 00 and it will give me a new focus on RMweb.

Congratulations to your team (I assume you must have one) and good luck for the future.

Terry D

If I'd only troubled to read what has gone before, I'd have realised that the answer is YES, it is much longer than Retford, but not quite as wide. Still superb.

It just shows how a thread can be rolling along RMweb that is of interest and yet not be detected. I too have only just found it. Alistair R. is sadly missed not just for his amusing chat down the phoneline but because he saved me the chore of EM-ing Carlisle's coaches! I look forward to further progress reports.

• RMweb Premium

I intend to start a proper thread on this layout fairly soon, one problem is the poor light in the room and I struggle to get decent photos with a fairly basic camera. As far as construction on site is concerned the "team" consists of me with some help from Judith, many others are involved with track, buildings and rolling stock but all in UK at present. I also have responsiblity for most of the loco building (this will involve a large number - I counted 98 locos on the layout at last visit). On our last visit in October we did get trains running right round the room in both directions, admittedly with some temporary track in the storage yard area. Most of the main line track through the station is now laid and wired.

Michael Edge

As the youf of today would say OMG! That has just knocked me back months. I was prepared to accept I could never achieve the quality in some BLTs but I was happy that I would have a more extended run in my 12 x 10 shed based on an old Freezer idea. Now I find this true MegaStructure and I am humbled and daunted.

Hi Michael,

Can I join the fan club? I think it might be Barry O's posting on my thread which has at least partly contributed to the surge of interest today :mosking:

I have designs on Carlisle one day as my 'layout of a lifetime' but the scale of your project is breathtaking. I've got to know the station and surroundings pretty well over the years and have been quietly collecting the various books and articles covering 'the greatest junction station of them all'. From the little you've shown us so far, everything looks instantly recognisable and faithfully reproduced, particularly the maze of lines and bridges to the south.

Great work and I look forward to seeing it develop, hopefully on its own layout thread (need any half decent pictures taking?! :D)

'Robert'

Archived