Burnthouse Lane

Jack00

Had a good hour or 2 in the shed as planned. Got some ground cover for the yard area. Just needs to dry and a coat of weathering. Figured out a shunt move for the layout too:

Providing there are no trains on the layout except a designated shunter in the siding. The freight train would stop outside of the station, before the point, then uncouple, the loco would run into the platform light loco, then the shunter would collect the wagons and draw into the siding, the loco would then be free and shunt onto the back of the wagons, the shunter would be uncoupled and the train would then depart the siding, perhaps halted a while for the passenger service to arrive and then depart. As the layout is so compact, the freight would have to be 2 wagons plus a brakevan, and small loco such as a 20/25/33 or similar bo-bo power. Especially to fit the shunter in aswel as the rake and loco, a squeeze but do-able.

Jack.

The gravel looks huge in the pictures, but its not that bad in the flash (promise) ;)

post-13209-0-68466600-1341241573.jpg

post-13209-0-12294700-1341241577.jpg

post-13209-0-60639300-1341241580.jpg

post-13209-0-80609000-1341241583.jpg

post-13209-0-33426800-1341241587.jpg

tempted to pop down the model shop...make myslef feel better by spending money lol.

Jak.

• 3 weeks later...

No updates on Burnthouse Lane,

must be the BR rail strike lol... Hope the milk hasn't gone off.

Got a video of early diesels in south west, so that ought to get me inspired again. Fancy a bit sulzer thrash.

Also my anologue Bachmann 25 has been newly weathered/detailed so the body will be fitted to the DCC sound 25 soon. Then it's rusty thrash..!!

Jack.

Hey Jack,

Looking very nice I have to say. Noticed on your first post you said your baseboards were: "3 side-by-side rack systems from Argos, used for tool storage or whatever. they are 3ft each in length and 18in wide" What is the top surface? Is it chipboard by any chance...?

Thanks, Oli

Hi Oli. Thanks.

Yeah that's right the top surface is a layer of chip board already cut to size, with 3 in the box to make a total 3 shelves, except I just did a side-by-side arrangment rather than a stack.

Burnthouse lane is actually built on the chip-board supplied with the rack from Argos so I can just slot into the rack and fiddle yard construction is just a case of laying track straight onto the wood.

Quite a sturdy construction too. But very heavy to carry when flat packed. About £40 each aswel but considering stuff/stock can be stored on the lower shelves, quite a practical solution.

Jack.

Ahhh that's interesting, did you seal the chipboard first before ballasting and adding all the scenics? If so what did you use....?

Thanks, Oli

I didn't seal it as such, I sprayed the wood with a base coat of nut brown enamel spray. This gave a base for the greenery and track etc.

Once I was happy with the track in final position I sprayed the track with a rust colour before ballesting. As the nature of the layout being rather rustic and irregular trains used I added alot of weeds and oil stains.

Jack.

Forgot to mention the gravel I used in the old milk sidings, I'm not happy with looks odd, so I'm thinking perhaps sand or very fine gravel!

Just a case of scraping off the old stuff and applying the new ground cover. Think it's time to get out of my comfort zone aswel, perhaps make potholes and puddles in the yard. And tyre tracksnon the gravel. And old sleepers and chairs buried amongst the gravel.

Jack.

Made a start on the yard. Stripped off the old gravel. And prepped the surface for the new stuff. Carved a few pot-holes out to fill with the authentic still water and painted a dark colour all ready for application.

Jack.

Ok so little progress on the layout...but some at least. few finer details added, and a few tree's aswel.

post-13209-0-68090600-1343753618.jpg

post-13209-0-64228100-1343753621.jpg

post-13209-0-76241300-1343753627.jpg

post-13209-0-13423800-1343753631.jpg

post-13209-0-66330000-1343753634.jpg

post-13209-0-91238700-1343753637.jpg

post-13209-0-14728700-1343753642.jpg

post-13209-0-53515100-1343753646.jpg

Passangers now have luggage, and trollies with sacks of spuds. and milk cherns, very agrecultural setting, typical Cornish farming industry.

Especially with the cattle XP box vans. which also get loaded with trays of daffidils in the spring. ( this actaully happened on Helston-Gwinear branch) during the early 60's.

Jack.

(need to get rid of the men in high-vis lol) not very 70's at all. But perhaps a person in high-vis in the brake-van?)

I reckon a 121 in BR green would look great rattling in and out of the station.

Also I've just made the rails more rattley, by cutting grooves onto the rail heads, giving a more tinny sound.

(sounds stupid but it really works.)

Jack.

post-13209-0-75523000-1343842522.jpg

Doesn't matter how much i look or try to convince myself, but the ground cover over the yard just isn't right somehow. Think i'm going to go into the shed, with a can of Thatchers Gold and "re-do" the gravel with something a little more fine. The same stuff i used on my other layout.

Also, just found two amazing private sellers for all model railway scales, about half a mile up the road so i may pay a visit and purchase some new goodies...top of the list a lima 121 and Bachmann 04.

Jack.

post-13209-0-12802900-1343852290.jpg

post-13209-0-33623800-1343852295.jpg

post-13209-0-72526400-1343852298.jpg

post-13209-0-91692900-1343852302.jpg

covered the yard flooring with fine ballest, alot darker and once the glue has dried i reckon it will do it wonders. also moved some of the smaller details around and added alot more weeds to the siding.

Jack.

Hey Jack looking good. Have just caught up with all your posts (have been really ill for the last 3-4 days :/)

I reckon a 121 in BR green would look great rattling in and out of the station.

Also I've just made the rails more rattley, by cutting grooves onto the rail heads, giving a more tinny sound.

Sounds like quite a good idea lol - how you getting on with your DCC by the way...?

Thanks, Oli :D

Hi Oli. Seems to be alot of flue going round at the minute, especially as I work with people, easily passed on lol!

DCC going well think it was a good move... Shunting moves are so much easier and the sound aspect of DCC is simply awesome,

Nothing better than an old rusty weathered loco ticking away in the sidings gives a good atmosphere. Especially a thundering sulzer :-)

Jack.

I have the weekend off so I will hopefully get a load of stuff done to the layout.

More rust is needed for sure and more weeds growing in the sidings.

And of course shunt wagons and thrash the sulzer beast.

I fancy a modern theme for a few photos aswel. EWS VGA in the siding with an EWS 66 with the regional railways 150/2

I also respeayed my Hornby 153 into black and gold Wessex livery.

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from adding a few more tufts of weeds to the siding nothing else has happened to Burnthouse lane.

I need to perch it onto the racks and connect the fiddle yard so I can do some shunting, it's being neglected a little up in the shed.

But to keep my busy I can detail some stock and weather a few wagons. Also St. Agnes project will keep me busy.

Jack.

Hey Jack,

Looking really good - something I like about smaller layouts, the details are superb! Can I ask you where you get your tall 'yellow' grass from? Is it the woodland scenics...? And also where do you get your flower things from? They look really realistic, they can be seen in this photo:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-13209-0-33623800-1343852295.jpg

Cheers, Oli.

HI Oli, thanks for the kind comments.

The tall grass make slips my mind... edit that lol. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/index.html?action=search&searchtype=catID&quicksearch=1124&p_start=36&sortType=3&imageType=1&submit=erm

yeah woodland scenics, really good stuff, i normall clamp it in the vice and cut accordingly (short for inbetween the sleepers) then hot glue gun which secures it down nicely.

the flowers are woodlands too, but it comes in a net form, all i did was shake the packet over the bushes (which had glue over the top) and the pettles stuck to the shrubs, wasn't kean on the net to be honest only in small quantities as it looked a bit too much and too thick lol.

hope this helps.

Jack.

Thanks for that Jack, that has helped me a lot. Will purchase some next time I go to my model shop.

Went in there this morning to purchase some woodland scenics ballast after my trouble with the Javis stuff and I can't believe how much better the W.S stuff is!!!! It's amazing, looks about 10x better and lays so much better as well. And it works with my ballast spreader better - but still not properly lol!

Thanks again, Oli :D

ah thats good, it sometimes takes a while to find the prefered ballest, but once weathered it always looks better aswel. good luck with the scenics and ballesting, i'll have to catch up on your thread :D

jack. ;)

Archived