Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Meanwhile, the German standard collection increases by one. £59 secured a Roco Br.23, made up as "Museum Edition" 23.105, the last steam engine to be built for Deutsche Bundesbahn in 1959. Still in the original box, with the history book included. Always wanted one of these.

Lovely little loco - looks suitable to convert to P87 eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Got these 4 for 21USD (about 14 quid!) Seems like a pretty good deal especially since they all include metal wheels/bearings...

post-20244-0-94838300-1459181132_thumb.jpg

I'll have to see how I like making them, the last Parkside kit I wasn't too happy about making, maybe these will be better, at least the price was right :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Two recent bargains

Bachmann blue class 105 £46 (advertised in N gauge section)

Bachmann class 42 DCC fitted D827 last version before class 43s arrived, £41.50 plus £10 p+p which I'm sure put bidders off. D827 even came with etched plates. Bargains can still be had, well pleased.

Neil

• Like 1

Picked up a "mint" used Hornby S15 with the CUK20 offer for 79.99. Turned up with a vertical cab handrail missing, an easy fix with 0.45mm brass wire and black paint. Seller refunded £5. Since then purchased the Bachmann Club "Birch Grove", seller had it buy it now £130 or make an offer. Bunged in what I thought was a reasonable price given the original cost and ebay/ paypal fees half expecting it to rejected, and significantly less than it would have cost including club membership, and got it accepted. Now the interesting thing is Ebay has on the item listing as "Sold for £130" which it most definitely was not.

Just won a Southeastern SR M7 with wheels (Markits) and a Mashima open frame motor for 5p under £28 inc postage. Looks to be minus steps and a roof which are easily obtainable. The chassis needs finishing off but all the parts seem to be there for the chassis. Body in primer

• Like 2

Good catch Ivan!

Pure luck.

I'd never have bought one new. The psychological jump required to spend that much cash in one go on some blocks of metal and a collection of rods is just too great (he said, having shelled out £280 last week on three Finney and Mitchell kits after a bit of a miscalculation).

Just won a Westward 28/2884 2-8-0 loco. Not got one of these 2-8-0's or a Westward loco so very please with the buy for 2 reasons. Paid less than a set of Markit drivers for a kit which just needs a motor and gears.

Which variant will you be building?

The one with 8 drivers and a pony truck  :sungum:

Horsetan I will wait for it to arrive and see what's still in the box, no idea about the kit and what's in it he chassis seems to be etched brass rather than the earlier brass bar (but had a K's 63xx instructions which may give the wrong impression)

By the way, if you want to drop in now I am 49 miles away. Still both locals sell real ale

Untill

Oh. Shame.

Still, I enjoyed the (two) visits.

Ivan

Until the extension gets built I have a big cupboard, everything else in the loft. But The Generals Arms and for that matter the Bakers Arms both do real ale with fish and chips to die for. Will be at the West Herts exhibition on Sat the 7th of May building track when not answering questions, a good little show and one or two decent s/h sellers.

John

The kit arrived today (well yesterday but I was out) and all the parts seem to be there, so I can build either. I will consult my copies of Russell's books to see which I prefer, at the moment the latter with side windows looks favourite. The builder has been a bit heavy handed with the few parts built to date. Some have been soldered others glued so will un-do what has been built to start again. In 2 minds as to use a TA12 motor with the parts that come with the kit, or a Mashima with a Highlevel gearbox. The 2 items that seem to have been damaged is the hand rail wire and the front pony truck, I have a spare Comet truck if needed

Can someone translate 20, 24 & 26 SWG (wire) into metric sizes please

As a slight bonus there was a full set of instructions for a Keyser 63xx, I have several of these most of which I intend deposing of

Now off to the Generals Arms for a spot of research, as they have a Whitstable Brewery ale on tap.

• RMweb Gold

I recently won a rake of 4 triang mk1 coaches with comet sides already fitted and painted in choc/cream for £40 which is cheaper than the parts and today I won 9 airfix mk2d coaches for £53 which I also thought was quite good

But that is not SWG

Whoops, a case of reading what is the more common rather than what was actually written!

Although since 'A' and 'S' are next to each other on the (touch) keypad, it could equally be 'poorly positioned finger syndrome'.

However, a simple search thro' the same site gives this:

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/swg-to-mm.htm

Does that help, Peter?

Edited by leopardml2341

The Southeastern Finecast M7 arrived today, I was getting a bit worried as the seller marked it as dispatched on the 11th, the post mark said the 14th so all OK

As I thought it needs a set of steps and a roof, all easily obtainable from Dave Ellis at Southeastern Finecast and I guess about £5 + postage will do it. It cost me about £28 inc postage. The kit is about £88 the wheel pack another £30 and I guess the motor pack £20 had I bought them new its over £100 more than I paid, even after buying the spare parts. Just goes to show if you keep your eyes open there are still some good bargains out there, even on eBay despite what some say. Trouble is I am supposed to be reducing my collection 

By the way the beer was Whitstable Brewery's Pale Ale a nice light drink, back down to the Generals again tonight for a spot of food, as she will be driving I will sample the Shepherd Neame's Early Bird Spring ale. Could Take a couple of pints to check the quality still good.

Edited by hayfield