Mayshill - GWR

Jules

An excellent conversion. She looks very nice.

If you do decide to move the toolboxes, you may also want to see if you can remove the conduit that runs up the side of the cab, between the numberplate and the G. This was part of the auto gear on the 48xx/14xx loco's and not fitted to the 58xx's.

... but red headlamps were replaced by white from 1936 and a loco in GWR livery wouldn't have had them. ... .

-- gwrrob.,

- Thanks for yr. reply about the change-over from Red to White headlamps - I knew that it occured during the '30s. but the actual query had been in my mind for quite some times.

A small note about the driving wheels on the 14XX....

Apparently the balance weights on the two sets of wheels were in different places, to balance the cranks on the driven axle.

So, if you change the grooved wheels for a spare set of ungrooved wheels, the balance weights would be in the same place on both axles.

I did read of someone who changed the tyres on the grooved wheels for ungrooved tyres...keeping the different balance weights.

Really, it is a small detail...that hardly anyone would notice. (They should be counting the rivets. anyway! ;) )

A small note about the driving wheels on the 14XX....

Apparently the balance weights on the two sets of wheels were in different places, to balance the cranks on the driven axle.

So, if you change the grooved wheels for a spare set of ungrooved wheels, the balance weights would be in the same place on both axles.

I did read of someone who changed the tyres on the grooved wheels for ungrooved tyres...keeping the different balance weights.

Really, it is a small detail...that hardly anyone would notice. (They should be counting the rivets. anyway! ;) )

-- Why is it that some people's gaze seems to mist over when it comes to looking below the running-plate?

- Surely having correct Balance Weights, and in their correct pos'ns./quartering, are as necessary, in their way, as removing the auto-train's conduit or the correct pos'n. of the Tool Box, (posting #308.),?

- But I do agree that obsessive counting of rivets can be counter-productive - 'Not seeing the wood for the trees.' as the saying is!

Edited by unclebobkt
  • Like 1

Thanks for pointing out about the balance weights - it was something I admit to not even considering, my main aim was to rid the loco of traction tyres and I happened to have a spare set of wheels from a previous wheel change.  I might get round to correcting it in the future, but then again, I might not!

Edit :

After checking the loco, the balance weights are in different positions on the leading and trailing drivers, they are 90deg different.

Edited by Jules
  • Like 1

Smashing layout this.

I have a very similar arangement to my fiddle yard but i left one of the cassettes without the sides on solely for the placement and removal of stock, also comes in handy for testing loco's. I also installed a push to make switch on the control panel just to make sure nothing moved and rolled off the end by accident (push and hold button to make fiddle yard work). 

Colin

Thanks for pointing out about the balance weights - it was something I admit to not even considering, my main aim was to rid the loco of traction tyres and I happened to have a spare set of wheels from a previous wheel change.  I might get round to correcting it in the future, but then again, I might not!

... .

-- For a photo. of a real & live GWR.58xx.Class at work you might like to look-at -

> http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines/i-hPkB3Sf/A#!/Trains/Cambriancoastlines/i-hPkB3Sf/aA <

- NB.: I don't know about any possible copyright - but in the interests of the diffusion of GWR. knowledge ... !  ;-)

• Like 2

Great link, thanks for the pic.

I can't quite see the balance weight on the inner driving wheel, but it looks as though my model has got the weight in the correct 180deg at least!

-- Jules,

- You're welcome.

- Now, I do NOT know the precise relationship between  a GWR. 58xx. class and GWR. loco. no. 517., but there seems to me to be more than a slight and/or passing resemblance between the two,  so I may well be going-off at half-cock here, but I'll risk it on the off-chance that someone more knowlegeable will correct me.  But for #517., where the balance weights & quatering are clearly shewn may I suggest that you refer to the flg. - 

http://www.gwr.org.uk/pro517.html <  The modeller back-dated an Hornby GWR. 14xx. class to obtain his no.517..

- Also you might want to have a look at -

> GWR. Layouts' Section - 'Maeport East.' <.  --  :-)

Thanks for the links, nice 517 and a lovely layout!

I'm hoping the balance weights and quartering were completely different, otherwise mine is completely wrong!  However, looking at the rel\relationship between the cranks and weights, I don't think I could get it right with the existing wheels, the trouble with mixing Airfix and Dapol wheels.  I think I'll just have to live with it for now.

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules and Unclebob,

The GWR 517 class were designed by Armstrong in the late 19th century. Under Churchward they were given a new lease of life by the fitting of autogear. By the time Collett came along the 517's were getting pretty old and he produced a new updated design in the form of the 48xx/58xx classes.

Hope this helps.

Are there any painting destructions with it or 'does anything go' livery wise Jules.Needs a driver though. ;)

There are no painting instructions, just a simple exploded diagram of how to assemble it, you certainly can have an 'anything can go' livery! (as Job has already said :) )

I do need to source a driver (or whatever the technical term is!), I think pretending that Thor has travelled the route so often he doesn't need a driver is stretching credibility a bit far, even for me!

• Like 3

... .

After checking the loco, the balance weights are in different positions on the leading and trailing drivers, they are 90deg different.

-- Now, I am not a movie. buff,  so I write under correction - but I believe that a couple of GWR. class 58xx. locos. featured in the Ealing Studios' comedy film 'The Titfield Thunderbolt.'?

- Possibly worth a butcher's?

--  :-)

• 1 month later...

Seasons Greetings!

I haven't done a huge amount on the layout recently, just added a couple of trees from sea foam - the first ones I have created using this stuff.  I think a bit more practice is required to get the best results!

Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to show the three latest additions to the Mayshill wagon fleet.

These are all from the latest Parkside releases, PC81 GW 10t open wagon, PC84 GW 10t goods van (MINK /MINK A) and the PC85 GW 6t Insulated van (MICA X7 ) 

These kits are excellent!  I have never had an real problems with the older PD kits, but these are even better.  All three wagons share the same basic underframe that go together easily with no messing about trying to get the solebars the correct distance apart.

A couple of views of the as built wagons - I built the Mink as a dia V12, the open as a dia O11 and the Mica as a an X7 (the only choice).

As can be seen, they need painting, and the Mica needs its end handrails forming and attaching - not something I am looking forward to!

post-148-0-00982600-1387561087_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-83432900-1387561090_thumb.jpg

If you fancy something a bit different from the r-t-r offerings, give one of these a go, well worth the couple of hours build process.

edit - to remove smiley thing!

Edited by Jules
  • Like 19

Meery Christmas to you too  :)

I've got another couple of the van and open to make, so I will probably make them to one of the other diagrams for a bit of variety.

I agree about the NEM pockets, they are at the correct height, so no packing or filing is required - very well thought out and designed.

I also have a couple of the long wheel base GW vans ( Minks D and G) to make, which might get built over the next week!  I might have to extend the goods yard at this rate to accommodate the increased stock!!

I've just noticed that this topic has been going for a couple of days over four years, how time flies!

• Like 2