Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Hi Jules,

Excellent photos here and I like the new weighbridge barrier from left over rail. Superb recycling! :)

I agree about the use of the Wills kits for the coal staithes, they are great as is the real coal from the beach! I usually use tiny lumps of coal I salvaged from Dinmore Manor's tender!

Happy New Year too and here's to a great year of modelling in 2016...

Chris

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, some nice additions to Mayshill. Good to see a 43xx, my favourite Churchward class. My Bachmann 43xx also runs extremely well, although it is a very old model by now and not supposed to be good with that chassis. Yet another bumblebee that defies the laws of physics, I guess :) 

The house is very convincing, I like the effect of the filler. The tiles look like they're fully 3D!

• Like 2

In addition to the rolling stock purchases, I have been doing a bit of building work.

At the Warley show, I picked up a kit from 'Petite Properties'.  These are laser cut mdf and thick card, leaving the finishing upto the end user.

>SNIPPED

The next couple show the almost completed building.  I used cheapo filler on the walls, porch and chimneys to represent render, and used some old Superquick paper roof tiles (as used on the station building). I replaced the supplied doors with some plastic ones I had in stock, as I thought the laser cut crd ones looked a bit too rustic! I'm quite pleased with the result, it needs some drain pipes and guttering to finish.

attachicon.gifh3.JPG

attachicon.gifh5.JPG

It is currently placed in its proposed location, which obviously needs a bit of development!

>SNIPPED

I do like this building. :)

I have seen buildings of this design,  the roof coming almost to ground level is usually facing into th eprevailing wind / weather.  One that I saw from a train near Eastbourne (Seems to have gone...there is new housing there it seems from on=line mapping!)  had the long roof side towards the sea...

Amother weatherproofing method was to hang "roof" slates/ tiles on the walls....frequently the Gable Ends....of buildings.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the 'likes' - much appreciated.

Mikkel - it is a very nice loco, especially considering the age of it.  It only just clears the point at the end of the run-round loop, so no tender locos larger will fit unless there is some re-construction work to the platforms! Thanks for the comments on the house, I will try and get some better pictures when the light is better.

JM - thanks, the development of that area my take a bit of time - although it is planned out in my head.

Sarah - Thanks!  There are a few buildings like it around here too, although somewhat larger in size.  Sounds like the one near Eastbourne was built back to front!

While trying to take the pictures yesterday in poor light conditions, I took this one.  It had a light shining on the layout to try and brighten it, not sure if it looks like a sunny day or just if an artificial light is being shone.. 

attachicon.gifP1060653.JPG

Nice photo.

It does look like sunrise/ sunset with a low sun creating shadows...better than some of my Flash Photos! ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice work on the SIPHON.  I'm going to dig out my inside framed ones and do the same now that I have seen how good the results look. 

What work was needed to mount the Collett bogies - nuts and bolts or do they clip in with a washer/shim to space the body higher?

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Also purchased at the Weston show was a Lima Siphon G.  This again looked like it had never been out of the box.  I have replaced the bogies with spares from Bachmann, and replaced the end handrails with separate wire. I need to do a bit more work on the bogie fitting as the wheels rub very slightly on the chassis.

I ended up cutting slots in the underside of the chassis of mine, to give the wheels more clearance and get it sitting as low on the bogies as possible.

Nice work on the SIPHON.  I'm going to dig out my inside framed ones and do the same now that I have seen how good the results look. 

What work was needed to mount the Collett bogies - nuts and bolts or do they clip in with a washer/shim to space the body higher?

Thanks for the complement.

I chopped the mounting lug off the Lima bogie and glued this to the replacement Bachmann bogie, after a lot of filing and fiddling to get the ride height correct. It might have been easier to use a nut and bolt!

As Barry Ten says, cutting slots in the underframe to clear the wheels is the way to go, a modification I intend to perform when I get the chance.

• Like 1

Great to see some more progress on your layout.

I hope the farmer is alright or that help will soon arrive.

Thanks!

I hadn't noticed the collapsed chap in the road when I took the picture!  HE is a bit modern for the time period of Mayshill, I use him as a height guide for various things, so he does tend to get chucked about a bit.

• Like 1

Always a joy to see updates on this layout!

Out of interest, how wide are the baseboards in the station area?

Thank you.

The baseboard is two foot wide and the main arm is (from memory) eight foot long. The section to the fiddle yard is narrower, 18 inches rings a bell.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the complement.

I chopped the mounting lug off the Lima bogie and glued this to the replacement Bachmann bogie, after a lot of filing and fiddling to get the ride height correct. It might have been easier to use a nut and bolt!

As Barry Ten says, cutting slots in the underframe to clear the wheels is the way to go, a modification I intend to perform when I get the chance.

Credit where credit is due.

I have never been too fussed about BLTs despite being a country lad.  The Smoke or Waverly have always thrilled me as a kid - perhaps because going there by train and coming in slowly past depots, Works or carriage sidings was always so interesting.

But I am totally enthralled by Mayshill.  Have been visiting this page almost since you started.  Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Will try the nut and bolt method first when I get home - results on my NC page as per below link.  Will definitely cut slots as well.

If that fails I will make a set of Mk1/Collett hybrid bogies as you describe.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Afternoon all.  Nothing much has changed in Mayshill land recently - the list of jobs to do has remained the same!  I have had the odd chance to play with  operate the layout over the summer, but outdoor activities have taken precedence.

Anyway, here are a few pics of yesterdays operating session, a wet afternoon gave me the excuse to play trains!

First up, the auto train waits for departure,

P1070257.JPG.266e5e6c3bcc0cdb5f079eaedb2b07d9.JPG

awaiting the arrival of 4550 on a goods train (bit blurred unfortunately)

P1070258.JPG.63029d07c3262bd45b9fb7f7bf7c8dba.JPG

P1070259.JPG.211604c59012cb808ac492d1340581c5.JPG

3715 arrives with empty milk tanks

P1070260.JPG.0c9cd4df3d6f46d8d5279fac75ceb4a8.JPG

removes the loaded vans from the dairy

P1070262.JPG.6a7a0423e1c2e6a03bd6d2ba0cb82f19.JPG

a glimpse through the tress

P1070264.JPG.8e44f8a5ddf4bc648e3f1f0e1fc7d797.JPG

4612 departs with the B set

P1070265.JPG.db8f4648d0a9af82be2d0901a97ef73f.JPG

3715 again about to cross Frog Lane

P1070266.JPG.6e5a49862e25b332e49d9a83aa5c2558.JPG