The building of a railway or contractors layout

David Bigcheeseplant

I must admit the last year or so has been the most fallow period for many a year, hopefully starting a job closer to home I may get some modelling done, although I am involved with Aylesbury Town as a club project, I like the idea of something very small that I could build in a short time, an idea that has been in the back of my mind for twenty plus years is a diorama of the building of the Great Central somewhere between Wycombe and Risborough, with basic tackwork and contractors locos and tipper wagons, High Level do a kit for this Black Hawthorn http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670922 just think no station to build and temporary buildings, maybe a bridge being built etc. has anyone done this or has any creative ideas of how I can do it.

David

• RMweb Premium

We did a contractors railway on my last layout (Long Preston) That was a narrow gauge one that was used to take materials to a dam building project. The GC would be easier as it used standard gauge with contractors locos and a mixture of wagons. These were in three types usually.

a) Railway company wagons delivering materials, usually bricks.

B) Internal wagons used by and letterred for the contractors, these were usually dumb bufferred ex main line stock.

c) Internal wagons for shilfting excavated materials. Usually side tipping MSC (Manchester Ship canal) types .

The main challenge would be what perioed you wanted to model. Initially the contractorts lines were laid outside the line of the finished railway and then wer elater moved onto the completed trace. The trackwork was always very lightly laid so you would need hand built track.

I like the idea and the GC construction photos shouydl give you plenty of info to go on. You could also include some steam cranes. I have a series of photos of such a line in use in Huddersfield in 1909/10, they ahve been published in Midland Record and if you think they would be helpful please PM me.

Jamie

I think this would make an interesting project. For example the pictures of the building of the Camerton branch along the route of the Somerset Coal Canal show small engines, a lot in a small place, lightly laid track, temporary buildings the list goes on.

For ideas, have a look on the Bathintime website.

This would be a fascinating project. I like industrial, a Terrier is always nice, and of course as a stop-gap you can always use a Pug. Some wagon kits for older-style wagons (dumb buffers) and perhaps some construction machinery too would set the scene. Another option would be to go Narrow Gauge of course...

• RMweb Gold

This is a very interesting idea, my only worry would be getting the right style with lightweight, poorly laid track may well end up it not working well! Your original synopsis says "diorama" - do you intend it to be a working model or a static model? I do hope you can come up with something workable.... ;)

Those photos from the Leicestershire Record Office's collection of S.W.A. Newton photos reminded me to take another look at one of my favourite books, L.T.C. Rolt's The Making of a Railway which was based on this collection. It's fascinating, with so much possible inspiration for a model illustrating not just construction but also the lives of those involved. A few hours with the book, or the online photos will probably give you too many ideas...

Tim's mention of the photos of building the Camerton to Limpley Stoke line also reminded me that I one time I toyed with the idea of building my Camerton layout set in about 1908/9 when it would have had the contractor's line and sidings in place. In the end, I went for a more conventional approach.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Another fascinating book covering the building of a railway, together with contemporary photos is "Building a Railway Bourne to Saxby". Edited by Stewart Squires and Ken Hollamby, published by Boydell Press on behalf of The Lincoln Record Society. ISBN 978-0-9015038-62.

Hardback, slightly larger than A4, 151 pages.

It contains 64 photos taken during the construction of the line together with other photos at various periods. Each photo has with it a detailed description of location etc. The book also contains a reprint of "Bourne to Saxby" by John Rhodes. The line was of course owned by the Midland Railway.

The photos of building the line were taken by Charles Wilson, the engineer who supervised the civil works on the line from Saxby to Bourne. The photos were taken between 1890 and 1893.

It's a fascinating book and would probably accompany me to my "desert island".

I think it is at least on a par with "The Making of a Railway", even though it covers a relatively short rural route, though it was the line by which the M&GN was reached from the Midland Railway.

David

I would like to make the model working, say no bigger than four foot long and presented like Chris Nevard models.

As for track any idea what sort of code rail would be needed as it would be flat bottom, what I can see it seem very lightweight.

The idea of something around Wycombe to Risborough apeals too as it would be cutting through the clalk of the Chilterns so white spoil.

David

• RMweb Premium

I presume that this will be in 4mm. I would use code 65 or it's Flat bottommed equivalent. From the photos that I've got the main visual clue would be the state of the sleepers. They would be rough and much damaged. I woulkd think that they would need to be made from ply or better still some thin stripwood of the right section. These would then need to be severley distressed. If you've got access to Midland Record there are some good photos of such track in issue 29. The main thing is that the sleeper ends are all over the place. There appears to be a main line of single track running the whole length of the works and sections of double track at the major structures. The second track seems to be used for other rail mounted plant such as travelling cranes for erecting the girders for an overbridge or stonework.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I've had similar thoughts for my Shepherd's Halt layout -a ficticious version of a real station (Shepherds Station. - the next layout I'll build).

I'm considering putting the time frame to be just when the change of track layout was being changed and the platforms, buildings, etc were being constructed.

There is a suitable photo of the station at St Agnes being built, which will provide much help in getting the right atmosphere.

Good luck with your project - will the loco be made to work, as you're planning a diorama ?

Stu

Dave-Knowing you it'll be done to the best standard possible!

Why not some temporary buildings (shanty huts/bothys etc) and part built masonry for one line only?

That is what I was thinking too a wooden water tank some huts a part built bridge, I intend it to work rather than a diarama, a tank loco half a dosen tipper wagons is not going to take up much space.

David

Not too sure how that happened maybe the Mods could combine the two

David

Duly merged as it had been reported by others. Please remember that the best way to bring such issues to the attention of the Admin team is to use the report function.

Does anyone manufacture inside bearing tipper wagons, I guess the originals were unsprung may prove interesting in P4!

The flat bottom rail looks very light section I an temped to rail soildered to PCB sleepers for strengh, I can't seem to fathom out any track layouts I just wonder if the track was laid were it was needed, I wonder if they used single bladed points, whatever the outcome it's all gonna prove a chalange.

David

Does anyone manufacture inside bearing tipper wagons, I guess the originals were unsprung may prove interesting in P4!

The flat bottom rail looks very light section I an temped to rail soildered to PCB sleepers for strengh, I can't seem to fathom out any track layouts I just wonder if the track was laid were it was needed, I wonder if they used single bladed points, whatever the outcome it's all gonna prove a chalange.

David

You can always follow Martin Goodalls aproach and use EM wheels!

Time to head for the hills...

Gordon A

Bristol

IIRC Chilton Iron Works used to make some 'Manchester Ship Canal' type wooden side tippers. If you fancy going down the scratchbuilding route there is a drawing in 'Industrial Wagons - an introduction', published by the IRS, and in the February 1984 Model Railway Constructor.

Going back to the pictures of the building of the Camerton Branch, ordinary points were built. Some very good close ups of the track as well in the pictures.

For Brewhouse Quay I used C&L code 55 flatbottomed rail (for 4mm/ft, N gauge rail would be too narrow) on copper clad and ballast with Das modelling clay.

Smart people will want to add spikes and such, but .......

Filing switch blades takes moments with so little metal to play with!

post-6681-0-39623600-1340231103_thumb.jpg

It looks like I will use code 55 rail then, looking at this photo It looks like lumps of wood are used for check rails http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getobject.php?rnum=L3376&searchitem=contractors&mtv=L1&pnum=9

Studying photos it seems like wagons were propelled hence most pictures have the chimney of the loco facing the wagons, maybe thats why there are huge dumb buffers on the locos. I also fancy modelling a wooden water tank.

Now I need ideas for a track plan, I dont think this is going to be the most exciting model but it should be different!

David

Studying photos it seems like wagons were propelled hence most pictures have the chimney of the loco facing the wagons, maybe thats why there are huge dumb buffers on the locos.

A lot of contractors wagons, like chaldrons, were inside framed and lacked conventional buffers, relying instead on the ends of the frames. So any loco used with them would need a second set of buffers set lower down and closer together - or just huge dumb buffers. The link in post 4 shows the 'buffer' arrangement on a contractors wagon.

Archived