chaz

I just couldn't resist this.....and I know it doesn't belong on the Dock Green thread.

P1050500-2%20800%20x%20530_zpsvr4pcezv.j

And no, it will never get a run on Dock Green, no, not ever. But it is mighty impressive - quarter inch scale - 1:48 - runs on O gauge track - it's a brass model made in Korea - just needs a dose of filth to make it "come alive".

Chaz

• Like 8

As you're obviously struggling to convince yourself, we look forward to the photos of it running on Dock Green :stinker:.

Ermmm - No. It is huge and even Rule One will not bend enough to allow such a huge beast on the layout. Apart from anything else it would play merry hell with the tight clearances.

Or a standard gauge feeder on Furness Valley?

Rgds Andrew

Nice try but I think not. No the "Mike" will get the occasional run on a club test-track or layout, but most of the time it will be strictly ornamental.

At the last couple of shows I was a bit embarrassed to see the amount of dust that had accumulated on the stock. It shows up particularly badly on van roofs and matte black locos. We always carry a soft brush to flick dust from the stock but it somehow just doesn't get done when setting up for a show. So Pete and I spent the afternoons yesterday and today emptying the cassettes and dusting both them and the stock. It remains to be seen just how long it will be before we need to repeat the job.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also put some stock on the bench for attention. It seems that there are always a few niggles to sort after every show.

P1050501-2%20700%20x%20349_zpsod9bqhnx.j

The BR standard van on the left was a bit light and therefore prone to derail, so I glued some small pieces of sheet lead under the floor.

The Medfit was still producing occasional sparks from a short circuit through the brake shoes (I thought this was fixed! :no: ) so I attacked them again with thin strips of emery cloth.

One of the couplings on the LNER brake van had come loose so I glued this back in place.

And the P.O. mineral wagon? Well, working through the box of spare wagons to dust them I came across this one and immediately thought "This is one of my favourites, why isn't it in the set of wagons for the coal train?"

P1050502-2%20700%20x%20402_zpsv2secgyr.j

It should be, so one of my tasks tomorrow is to make up a coal load for it.

P1050503-2%20700%20x%20499_zpsrkus2doa.j

Of course one of the other wagons will have to be oiked-out of the rake. If I choose one of the ones that is actually a goods wagon (as opposed to a mineral) it can still run, but without the coal load. As usual the brake lever guide needs straightening.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 8

I do like that wagon.

I cannot recall seeing a vehicle in that kind of state (that sounds derogatory but I don't mean it to) but it feels utterly convincing.

I do know what you mean about the dust. Paintbrush at hand whenever running.

Best

Simon

I do like that wagon.

I cannot recall seeing a vehicle in that kind of state (that sounds derogatory but I don't mean it to) but it feels utterly convincing.

I do know what you mean about the dust. Paintbrush at hand whenever running.

Best

Simon

"I cannot recall seeing a vehicle in that kind of state" - No, nor me. But then as a kid I didn't really take much notice of wagons at all - the thing at the front making all the smoke and noise was the big attraction. I think the first time I began to "notice" wagons was to remark the preponderance of BR standard 12T vans and the consequent lack of variety. Goods trains had got boring.

At this distance all we can do is to look at albums of photos for inspiration.....it's just a shame that colour photos of wagons, in whatever state, are so hard to find.

"I cannot recall seeing a vehicle in that kind of state" - No, nor me. But then as a kid I didn't really take much notice of wagons at all - the thing at the front making all the smoke and noise was the big attraction. I think the first time I began to "notice" wagons was to remark the preponderance of BR standard 12T vans and the consequent lack of variety. Goods trains had got boring.

At this distance all we can do is to look at albums of photos for inspiration.....it's just a shame that colour photos of wagons, in whatever state, are so hard to find.

I'm not sure if I have shown this scan before. It is a very useful photograph because the second wagon doesn't look to be too long out of the works and gives us a good idea of what fresh planks look like on the inside. The third wagon is almost bereft of paint and a nice, if extreme contrast to the one in front.

Chris

post-13142-0-76958800-1445445035_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is quite simply a fantastic layout.

I read the list of layouts at shows but I don't always put names to pictures. I was very happy to notice above that you are in Taunton this weekend. This is worth the trip from North Devon alone.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Regards,

James

I have read through the whole 'journey' of dock green over the Las couple of weeks and thoroughly enjoyed, your layout is without doubt one of the main factors that I am going 7mm!

I realise that this question may be slightly off topic from your stunningly weathered wagons, but I was just wondering if you could help me with some dimensions. I read through the build of your J50 and was just wondering what the width and depth of the buffer beams are and the width of the running plate (to allow me to work out how much it hangs over).

I hope I have asked in the right place, apologies if not.

Jagger

I'm not sure if I have shown this scan before. It is a very useful photograph because the second wagon doesn't look to be too long out of the works and gives us a good idea of what fresh planks look like on the inside. The third wagon is almost bereft of paint and a nice, if extreme contrast to the one in front.

Chris

Excellent photo Chris. I particularly like the wagon nearest the camera, loaded with pit-props. Looking closely it appears that there has been an attempt to paint just the ironwork (check out the diagonal strapping nearest the camera) with paint straying onto the planking. The paint has been pushed off the metal by further rusting but remains on the adjacent timber.

Chaz

I just couldn't resist this.....and I know it doesn't belong on the Dock Green thread.

P1050500-2%20800%20x%20530_zpsvr4pcezv.j

And no, it will never get a run on Dock Green, no, not ever. But it is mighty impressive - quarter inch scale - 1:48 - runs on O gauge track - it's a brass model made in Korea - just needs a dose of filth to make it "come alive".

Chaz

Could you put it on the layout and post some pics? please

Could you put it on the layout and post some pics? please

What? An American in Paris London? Sorry, but that's not really very practical. I don't want to take it to a show, and that's the only time the layout gets set up. My own feeling is that it would look totally out of place. Or is your tongue firmly in your cheek, Pete?

Hi,

This is quite simply a fantastic layout.

I read the list of layouts at shows but I don't always put names to pictures. I was very happy to notice above that you are in Taunton this weekend. This is worth the trip from North Devon alone.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Regards,

James

Well, thanks James for the very positive comment. I have been very encouraged by the support of RMwebbers who have often said nice things about the layout.

Yes, we will be at Taunton - in fact the team are looking forward to it very much. I hope you are not disappointed when "seeing it in the flesh." Do make yourself known - if I am not too busy I will be pleased to have a chat.

ATB

Chaz

Edited by chaz

I have read through the whole 'journey' of dock green over the Las couple of weeks and thoroughly enjoyed, your layout is without doubt one of the main factors that I am going 7mm!

I realise that this question may be slightly off topic from your stunningly weathered wagons, but I was just wondering if you could help me with some dimensions. I read through the build of your J50 and was just wondering what the width and depth of the buffer beams are and the width of the running plate (to allow me to work out how much it hangs over).

I hope I have asked in the right place, apologies if not.

Jagger

It's very flattering that you say "your layout is without doubt one of the main factors that I am going 7mm!"

If you have read the postings you will, no doubt, have noted my opinions on the J50 kits. The Ace kit is very challenging and I would only tackle it if you have experience with etched brass kits and are happy to make replacement parts. The Conoisseur kit is has a few tricky bits (forming the curve of the tank fronts and the cab roof shape) but is otherwise very good.

No problem measuring up the models, which I will do after breakfast and will post here later - don't go away!

Chaz

Whilst preparing the coal load for P21493 I remembered that one of the mineral wagons is prone to derail when being propelled in a rake of other wagons. Thinking that it might be too light, but unable to remember which wagon it is, I weighed them all - without the coal loads. The average weight for the Slater's and Parkside wagons turned out to be around 90gms. The only Peco 16 tonner I have weighed only 56gms.

P1050506-2%20700%20x%20487_zpsaplcv8px.j

I cut four small rectangles of sheet lead and glued them under its floor with UHU and it now weighs much the same as the others.

Incidentally, adding the coal load adds about 10-12gms to a wagons weight.

Chaz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Probably see you Tomorrow Chaz. I will be helping out with the set up at Taunton and be there over the weekend.  Looking forward to seeing the layout ( I should be able to get a better look than at the NEC)

Don

Probably see you Tomorrow Chaz. I will be helping out with the set up at Taunton and be there over the weekend.  Looking forward to seeing the layout ( I should be able to get a better look than at the NEC)

Don

Pretty local for you Don. I assume you are a club member? Do come and have a chat - we have an operator's rota so there will be times when I won't be pressing buttons.

I spent some time yesterday fitting two sets of additional moves into the sequence.

The first has a loaded coal train arriving

the yard pilot shunts the coal wagons across to the transfer siding

and an industrial tank takes them down the incline to the estate (where there is a "virtual" coal yard)

the train loco then departs with the brake van

The second set deals with the empties

an industrial tank brings them up the incline from the estate

a train loco arrives propelling a brake van (even on the main line this was in the rule book)

the yard pilot shunts the coal wagons across to the reception siding and couples them to the van

then the train engine backs on and then departs

A few of the existing sequence cards had to have hand-written changes to allow the empties moves to be slotted in, but I have tested the sequence on my "virtual" layout and it should work :whistle: .

I am hoping to get a set of photos of the coal sequences at Taunton this weekend. Possibly on Saturday morning there will be time for this before the doors open to the public. WTS.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Jagger

OK, here are the dimensions you asked for, all in millimetres to the nearest half a mill'.

class J50/1

from an Ace kit

buffer beam - 59.5 x 9

footplate - 62 x 205.5

LoB - 225

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

class J50/3

from an Connoisseur kit

buffer beam - 61 x 10.5

footplate - 63 x 208

LoB - 230

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quite a surprise to me - the first time I have measured the locos to compare them. I thought the GNR built loco (with its shorter bunker) was significantly shorter than the LNER one but in fact there's not much in it. Not that it worries me unduly but it's quite possible that one of these models is inaccurate. I would need to check books and drawings to be sure.

PS I have just checked the "Locomotives of the LNER Part 8A" (the RCTS "green bible") I find that the J50/1 were 32' 2.5" over buffers and the J50/3 were 33' - so not that much difference and 5mm sounds about right.

Hope that's helpful.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Thank you very much for that Chaz, it will be a great help for what I have planned! I'm currently designing an 'indutrial rebuild' of a J50, but the main dimensions will be kept the same.

Thank you for the warning/recommendation of the J50 kits but I won't yet be tackling anything like a locomotive etched kit, I will work my way up slowly as I want to gain the necessary skills before I make a mess of something expensive!

I have no fear that with such talented people like yourself (and many others) on this forum I will be able to get all the help that I need. Thank you again,

Jagger

Edited by locotracteur351

Thank you very much for that Chaz, it will be a great help for what I have planned! I'm currently designing an 'indutrial rebuild' of a J50, but the main dimensions will be kept the same.

Thank you for the warning/recommendation of the J50 kits but I won't yet be tackling anything like a locomotive etched kit, I will work my way up slowly as I want to gain the necessary skills before I make a mess of something expensive!

I have no fear that with such talented people like yourself (and many others) on this forum I will be able to get all the help that I need. Thank you again,

Jagger

You would be very wise to do a wagon first. Any of Jim's Connoisseur kits would give you a good start into etched brass. He calls some of his kits "skill-builders". Have a look at...

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/0%20Gauge%20Wagons.html

Plenty of choice and maybe a good self-chosen Chrissy Pressy?

ATB

Chaz