It's like a bus; only bigger.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Yup - Spooner Row has been identified in an earlier discussion about this film. Where? Back in the annals of RMweb history somewhere, I'm afraid.

Yup - Spooner Row has been identified in an earlier discussion about this film. Where? Back in the annals of RMweb history somewhere, I'm afraid.

I thought I was getting deja vu all over again - I get confused between that and incipient Altzheimers....

Norwich trains always stopped at Spooner Row during the rush hour - I'd hear it mentioned in station announcements at Liverpool Street whilst waiting for my train.

Best, Pete.

I think the opening sequence could be at Lowestoft or one of the Great Yarmouth stations, however the signal box at 3:17 is Beccles Bank, at the top of which the rails would disappear ("my daddy calls it modernisation" - premonition of Beeching, perhaps), and that at 5:07 Spooner Row. (Rush hour at Spooner Row? You're kidding Trisonic!). On the way to the mystical swing brindge, the dmu passes two Brits and a B1.

I didn't recognise the junction where the track was being relaid, however.

Happy memories of travelling back from work from Dundee to Cupar on 101 DMU's in the late 70's, especially over the Tay Bridge. Thanks Andy, at least in the rear carriage there wasn't a narky driver puling the blinds down... I soon learnt the trick!

But is some of the single track footage in the track maybe not in the Scottish Highlands?

(Rush hour at Spooner Row? You're kidding Trisonic!). On the way to the mystical swing brindge, the dmu passes two Brits and a B1.

Only just! It was a long time ago probably the seventies - One train from London to Norwich stopping there probably does constitute a rush hour.... :drag:

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Spooner Row is still there with an extremely sparse service. Penrith - Workington went in two stages "with Beeching" as you put it. Most of the other locations are still with us albeit looking very different now.

• RMweb Gold

"Look at all those men on the track. Won't they get run over? Not if they are careful. "

Ah. Health & Safety at its most basic.

Great film Andy but could you stick those two kids on a long journey??

• 2 months later...

Nice film. Good for track weathering colour !!

I've "sat behind the driver" many times. We allways looked for the yellow first class line over the windows when our DMU arrived, if first class was at the front, we would run to the back for an observation car view !!. Wigan to Liverpool or Wigan to Bolton / Manchester mainly, in the 60's & 70's. Not many "delightfull country views" for us, especially running through St Helens or Kearsley. The biggest mountains were the slag heaps at Bryn or Atherton, and even these have now gone for-ever !!

Nobody spoke "posh" like that either on these runs, "What's yon mon doowin dad ?, Whats that thingy 'ooer yon ?, What wuz 't number o' that mucky Dub Dee ?. (clip round t'lughole !!).

Brit15

Archived