It's like a bus; only bigger.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

That was always my favourite of the BBC2 trade test films. Come the internet it took ages to track down an online version rather than a for-sale copy from the archives. Mostly filmed around East Anglia but with sudden continuity breaks to include the Lake District and an arrival into what I was led to believe was Sheffield but have never been sure.

The rather poor splicing of places that are obviously not flat Norfolk or Cambs rather spoils what would otherwise be a good film. But interesting features from a time gone by nevertheless. Also some interesting and I thought odd coach formations early on.

• RMweb Gold

The sequence at the end is -I'm fairly sure - arriving at Ipswich from the Norwich direction (the signal gantry is very definitely GE), the single line part is somewhere on the CK&P I think, towards the end the double line section is very definitely North Eastern Region but I'm not sure where. The beginning is all East Anglia but the major engineering work wrong line scene is somewhere in former Midland territory.

Priceless, took me back to 'Saturday morning cinema!'

So, c'mon then, who else used to sit behind the driver and pretend they were driving? :)

ps anyone else notice the seasons changing through the film? ;)

pps prefer this on the tele to most of the dross we get now!

The Guard looks suitably creepy. I was once accosted by a Guard at Waterloo "'ere do you like leather, then?", leer, attempted grope, when I was 16.

The Mountains are, of course, The Gog, Magog before the erosion caused by Hippies in the late sixties...

Best, Pete.

towards the end the double line section is very definitely North Eastern Region but I'm not sure where.

Could the NER station be Wetheral near Carlisle as visited by Portillo? The film sort of jogged my memory and with a bit of "old-mapping" and "Google Streetviewing" it seems to fit well.

Pete - If you knew Gog-Magog back then you'd not recognixe it and Wandlebury now! Time has marched on!

Jack, I said that they had shrunk............

Why what has happened? Housing estates?

Best, Pete.

TIC (Tongue in cheek)

1959 film? looking at the clothing fashions on the females, looks earlier, oh, yes, of course it's Norfolk...

When I worked in Norwich in the late 60's, they reckoned Devon was 10 years behind London

and Norfolk was 10 country years behind Devon, (e.g. that's more than 20).....

Are we sure around the 3min area those aren't computer scenics, like some of the golf games etc.,

(Real comment now) Great Video Andy, honestly..

Priceless, took me back to 'Saturday morning cinema!'

So, c'mon then, who else used to sit behind the driver and pretend they were driving? :)

Well I did until the miserable s*ds took to pulling the curtains down so you couldn't. Some of them were such doubly miserable s*ds that they even pulled down the curtain on the other side where you couldn't see them working just to stop anyone enjoying the view The first bit brings back horrible memories of travelling on these things from Oxford to Potter Heigham with the Sea Scouts. It took most of the day feeling slightly nauseous from the constant diesel fumes- Ughh.

• RMweb Premium

The East Lancs line used to have the Cravens power twins and the drivers often left the door open. I remember sitting on the front passenger seat watching things going on, when a pheasant flew out and hit the front window. I jumped in surprise, the driver unflinchingly turned to me and said "I'll pick that up on the way back........"

Cheers,

Mick

Could the NER station be Wetheral near Carlisle as visited by Portillo? The film sort of jogged my memory and with a bit of "old-mapping" and "Google Streetviewing" it seems to fit well.

The NER station is indeed Wetheral, being approached from the eastern side on the Newcastle to Carlisle line

The tunnel before the Ipswich gantry is the one to the east of Haltwhistle,

and I suspect that the bowstring bridge could be the one at Wylam, currently being modelled by our very own Ron Heggs, but I would appreciate confirmation on this.

There are also several shots on the Penrith - Keswick route. The mountain looking like a saddle is "Saddleback", more commonly known as Blencathra.

No-one has mentioned the 114 unit which was never a common sight in East Anglia! Soon after I first watched this film on DVD - available either on Volume 4 of the Britsh Transport Film Collection or as part of a boxed set - I came across a reference to the filming in an old magazine. Such is the state of my memory that I have been unable to find it again, which distresses me deeply.

Chris

Archived