The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Why Recycling is BAD for the Environment

edcayton

Here in York, it seems to work - black wheelie for landfill, green wheelie for garden, three tray type bins for paper, bottles and plastics/metals. Widely available information leaflets describing what goes in which bin. Black wheelie collected every two weeks, the rest on alternate weeks. The three tray bins are loaded onto a compartmentalised vehicle into one of the three compartments. Often leave a paper trail up the street from the paper tray bins.

I don't find it any hassle sorting the stuff and am pleased to see that I only really require the landfill bin collected once every 4 weeks.

There is a certain amount of disorganisation, though, for some reason I have 4 tray type bins (inherited when I moved to this house). Oddly at the last house (also York), my black and green wheelies were nicked (would you believe it!) Phoned the council, who promptly replaced them (no charge). I asked whether this was a problem, and they said it happens off and on.

I generally walk to work, and have noticed that people do use the system. Side effect of that is noticing how many people seem to live on pizza (judging by the number of boxes) and cheap supermarket lager - but that is a bit off topic.

• RMweb Premium

Our council gave us a little green "bin" to put food waste in, and hence in to the big brown wheelie bin (mainly garden waste and cardboard). Have I been doing the wrong thing for years?

Ed

My point was that some people think that it is recyclable and belongs in the same bin amongst the plastics & papers etc. If it is properly separated, then there is no problem. My council certainly doesn't provide such facilities.

Kevin Martin

This thread has brought up a lot of issues - as was said, in some respects recycling was better in the "old days". Doorstep milk deliveres, returnable bottles and so on. Plus, we didn't live in a throwaway society - which is one of my bugbears.

I recently got two pieces of electical equipment, from friends, to repair. It is a bit of a hobby of mine.

1. A 1960s Valve Radio

2. A DVD player, two years old - just out of guarantee.

The Valve radio required two new capacitors and a new mixer valve.

The DVD player was economically irreparable and went for recycling.

• RMweb Gold

The DVD player was economically irreparable and went for recycling.

Built in obsolescence, seems to be fairly common these days, how many circuit boards in various bits of machinery only require a few pence worth of components to repair, but it's not cost effective to carry out?

It is illegal, and has been for some years, to feed waste food to pigs - introduced as a precaution against Swine Fever following a major outbreak which was traced to infected imported ham scraps of which had been fed to pigs.

Was not aware of that. Another one of those mad regulations where instead of fixing the issue they take a blanket ban. It worked fine for years until someone imported it.

But it could still be used in some biomass fermentation system to generate methane / alcohol as fuel substitutes.

I thought the blanket ban on feeding scraps to pigs came after the last big foot and mouth outbreak, which was eventually traced back to a pair of dodgy pig-farmers at Heddon-on-the-Wall; they had not been heating the scraps in the recommended manner. The statutory controls on heat-treating waste food and slaughterhouse by-products were abolished under a previous administration intent on 'getting rid of red tape'. I wonder how much that eventually cost us...?

• RMweb Gold

Was not aware of that. Another one of those mad regulations where instead of fixing the issue they take a blanket ban. It worked fine for years until someone imported it.

But it could still be used in some biomass fermentation system to generate methane / alcohol as fuel substitutes.

Definitely - all the food waste which our council collects (weekly) is used in anerobic disgesters and the quantity being collected has gradually increased over the past couple of years.

As far as feeding pigs etc scraps - and seeing what Fat Controller has posted - any farming folk worth their salt would know that all scraps etc feed to livestock should be boiled first in order to kill off any harmful bacteria. Both sets of my grandparents farmed and both fed waste food to livestock - in the case of one to pigs & chicken while the other fattened carefully selected (at market) bullocks and they too got occasional scraps among the various recipes he used in order to produce top weight animals. Nowadays it's all too easy for farmers to buy high protein animal feed and avoid a lot of work - if they can afford the feed that is.

Correct - waste food is used in anaerobic digesters to create methane (and other things).

Of course no self respecting green would tolerate such an abomination in their back yard - methane (and the carbon dioxide side product) are they not blamed for nature's change in climate?

Nowadays it's all too easy for farmers to buy high protein animal feed and avoid a lot of work - if they can afford the feed that is.

I'm also of farming stock on one side, and remember doing it - and the stench.

With all the EU regulations and factory style farming in place these days, along with the near impossibility to recruit "cheap" farm hands prepared to do a day's hard graft in the fields, Farming is not the world it used to be. I'm sot so sure they have any choice in what they feed anymore as the supermarkets dictate their form of consumerism down the food chain.

• RMweb Gold

Of course no self respecting green would tolerate such an abomination in their back yard - methane (and the carbon dioxide side product) are they not blamed for nature's change in climate?

Actually most greens think that AD is wonderful. You are burning the methane (which otherwise is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2, hence strict regulations on landfilling) and the CO2 is from a renewable source so win-win.

I'm also of farming stock on one side, and remember doing it - and the stench.

With all the EU regulations and factory style farming in place these days, along with the near impossibility to recruit "cheap" farm hands prepared to do a day's hard graft in the fields, Farming is not the world it used to be. I'm sot so sure they have any choice in what they feed anymore as the supermarkets dictate their form of consumerism down the food chain.

One of the supermarket chains tried to ban the use of farm yard manure on fields unless it was analysed!!

Laurence

• RMweb Gold

Anyway Im just writing my shopping list for the weeks food from the local butcher baker and (sadly no candlestick maker!) greengrocer - all local stuff and all in paper bags that get placed in my rucksack :angel: Oh I may have to go Spar for something to smoke and drink - Don't think they are locally sourced!

You mean you don't grow your own tobacco and barley :O ? We still have a local butcher - horrendously expensive for meat which in lots of cases is no better than Waitrose although there is a very good butcher about 7 miles away and we have a regular farmers' market which is very good for some stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Our local butcher is really good and not that expensive - If you dont get early its beef skirt or a sausage roll :)

I know we are lucky round here to have such a decent parade of shops these days; so in the use it or lose it idea I spend as much as possible there.

My grandad actually did grow his own baccy, but then he was gardener for a large house - don;t think he had a field of barley out the back though :D

Funnily enough my other grandad did make his own ales - and then sold em in thier pub - well times were hard in the 30s ;)

The barley my grandad grew used to go to Watneys over his final few years of farming.

Archived