Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

You may be correct, or perhaps it was a coincidence that a load of people in Bachmann jackets were taking photos of a OO City of Truro on the running plate of a considerably bigger City of Truro at Toddington earlier today!

I knew about the model/release for some time and was trying to drop a few hints with my comments but nobody seemed to clock on! Still, doesn't it look fantastic, well done to Bachmann, I wonder what's next?!

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what's next?!

Just asked that question but chap at NRM was not aware of the future plans.

They measured City of Truro up 2 years ago!

The Platinum edition is limited to 250 models. He did say they were limiting to 1 per customer.

The standard edition has no production limit and will be produced to supply and demand. Hopefully this will undermine the ebay profiteers a bit.

I initally rang them because the money is already on its way to the credit card without the adjustment for the pricing error.

The NRM chap said those affected should look out for the credit of ??21.75.

If they do not get it then to call the NRM who will refund straight away.

Lots of apologies from the NRM for the pricing error, but they will ensure its sorted out for those affected.

Just asked that question but chap at NRM was not aware of the future plans.

They measured City of Truro up 2 years ago!

The Platinum edition is limited to 250 models. He did say they were limiting to 1 per customer.

The standard edition has no production limit and will be produced to supply and demand. Hopefully this will undermine the ebay profiteers a bit.

I initally rang them because the money is already on its way to the credit card without the adjustment for the pricing error.

The NRM chap said those affected should look out for the credit of ??21.75.

If they do not get it then to call the NRM who will refund straight away.

Lots of apologies from the NRM for the pricing error, but they will ensure its sorted out for those affected.

Glad to hear I can save up for a standard edition one then! :D

Bodes well for a future Stirling Single. Absolutely thrilled - its an absolute stunner CoT and no doubt will get rave reviews in the modelling press :)

Plus, as I stated earlier, Dukedog anyone... ;)

Just managed to get through to the NRM and ordered my City of Truro after seeing the details and a picture of the model on the GWR website - absolutely superb! What will come next from the NRM I wonder?

As for the cost - I suspect that we will be seeing some eye watering RRP price rises for all models when Bachmann and Hornby publish their 2010 catalogues / price lists.

Absoloutely. I don't care if it isn't Scottish Region, I want one!!!

Died in the wool LNER I am, but if they offered me a Dukedog, well...I'd gnaw Bachmann's arms off to get one!

Looking at the pictures of the CoT - it just looks phenomenal. Everything is where it should be - rivets and all! Colour looks spot on too. Is this going to be a Deltic beater I wonder?

Its a lovely looking model, I won't be buying one but I can only raise my glass to those who make this kind of project happen. I'm sure in the future we'll see more of these limited edition/appeal models appear, there are at least two more 4-4-0 in the NRM that would make for beautiful models.

Is it expensive? Not in the context of its conception and realisation IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news ! How did this news be kept a secret in the hobby I'm amazed.I wonder if etched cabsides and plates are included in the price ? Will anyone dare to weather it I wonder.It looks a fantastic model and will rival the Evening Star as my favourite Bachmann loco.

• RMweb Gold

Good good. Anything to stop ebay profiteering, especially on a model like Truro

Excellent news ! How did this news be kept a secret in the hobby I'm amazed.I wonder if etched cabsides and plates are included in the price ? Will anyone dare to weather it I wonder.It looks a fantastic model and will rival the Evening Star as my favourite Bachmann loco.

For ??145 I would expect it to come with etched plates. Aren't Bachmann issueing them with some standard models currently anyway?

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what I think it should be (see below) but what I fear is that manufacturers will see the willingness of many to throw large amounts of cash (or credit) at their products and price all their future products accordingly. If I made things I would prefer to produce smaller runs of more profitable items than larger runs with lower margins. Stands to reason. And by limiting supply I can increase the price to the point that I satisfy the demand. Thus we do not have a demand led hobby but a supply driven one. Not ideal for the customer.

Just to add to the debate, which I have found interesting, this is EXACTLY how the US outline works more or less accross the board these days.

Most models from all the major manufacturers are announced 6 to 12 months in advance, with a window of about 4 months from announcement to get in a pre order. The manufacturers then build number of pre orders plus a few.

This isnt just for special editions, but most models of even the more mundane locos.

To put the Bachmann model into perspective , my last purchase was a Union pacific Gas Turbine, dcc ready only, it sold out more or less as soon as it hit the shops, I pre orderd mine 6 months in advance, and with import duty it cost me ??165 or so.

I dont think its expensive, if you take in everthing involved, however, I do think you are right, and from a business perspective, shorter runs of more expensive units has to make sense, and probably points the way for both Hornby and Bachmann.

Backhead detail looks good.

No wires between tender and engine so assume DCC socket is in the loco, if there is one lol (quote)

Sorry, only cursory inspection so far, but:

Backhead detail is nice but new Hornby T9 is even better.

There ARE wires between loco and tender - the two are supplied coupled by four wires, although there does seem to be a plug. The drawbar can be uncoupled - I'm not sure about the wiring and don't want to interfere with review sample until after it has been photographed.

There IS a 21-pin DCC socket.

There's lots to say about this model - you can read it in the next Model Rail.

Now, about that decorating. It is a former station. The builders have been in since July, the rooms are now ready and I've got 5 weeks in which to decorate before the builder comes back for phase two! So I won't be looking at rmweb too often over Christmas.

CHRIS LEIGH

'Truro' on its little-known visit to Parksville, British Columbia:

post-1062-12599589344404_thumb.jpg

post-1062-12599589872922_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Does look very nice. Happy for all you folks that wanted one. Just wonder if Bachmann going to play a blinder here and announce City of Truro through NRM with perhaps a Dukedog making it into their main range in March?

Yes plates come with the loco name No & tender plates

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

See my previous post, they will sort it out for us without our intervention so we will only be charged ??145 for the standard version. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Garry - for some reason my post again crossed yours - seems I'm not quick enough on the 'submit' button :icon_e_wink: . Anyway herself will be happy as having told her & daughter about the release of this excellent piece of motive power on their return from their day trip 'down west' I have been advised by Mrs Stationmaster that it will be my Chrissie pressie :icon_thumbsup2:

Also thanks for the pics Chris - looks to be in exactly the right colour scheme for the period I am interested in although the frames aren't quite as 'bright red' as they appear in some pics from that period. Just right to drop on shed off a railtour in teh are in which my loco depot is - vaguely - set.

Yes plates come with the loco name No & tender plates (quote)

Full set of plates inc builder's plates. Also spare front bogie (if you want to cut the coupler box off) and a bag of details including fire irons and spare tender handbrake/water scoop standards incase of breakage. Now we need some decent clerestories......

CHRIS LEIGH

Yes plates come with the loco name No & tender plates (quote)

Full set of plates inc builder's plates. Also spare front bogie (if you want to cut the coupler box off) and a bag of details including fire irons and spare tender handbrake/water scoop standards incase of breakage. Now we need some decent clerestories......

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris - what a superb model, you lucky chap! :)

Convinced me, I'm phoning tomorrow to order one.