RMweb

Comet LMS Suburban bk third

• RMweb Premium

MIke do you mean the long step-board all the way along the sole-bar? If so does this help? I know it's only an example of a short board but the method is the same.

post-2326-0-12677600-1341564001.jpg

post-2326-0-75698200-1341564022_thumb.jpg

Holes drilled in the sole-bar at appropriate points, (0.45mm or 0.50mm 'L' shaped wire soldered in holes and trimmed) to support long piece of 'scrap' etch at the appropriate height (ascertained from pics).

If using the excellent Comet method as above it is (sorry) easier to prep/drill whilst the sole-bar is still in the etch.

If this isn't what you meant then ignore :O

Larry probably has a neater method?

Cheers, Phil R.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There might have been a gap in reality, however I've no idea and I've always just soldered the things flush to the bar.

Your picture in that book indicates the position quite well. Also great that we have Larry to point out all the positions of stuff; good job he doesn't see too much of my stuff and even when he has he has been too polite to 'correct' unless it has been a glaring mistake!

If you need any print stuff just let me know.

P

• Like 1

Concerning footboards, I have my own etchings. I also have standard LMS solebars (22thou) with rivet detail (plain ones for corridor stock and ready slotted for non-corridor stock etc as shown below). When I'm building a coach using another manufacturers coach sides I simply cut footboards to the required length, mark off the 'leg holes' onto the solebar and drill holes. Sorry but I do not retail them, but 247 Developments sell plain sets (no detail) for LMS and LNWR coaches....

post-6680-0-17534300-1341565899.jpg

• Like 2

there was a spare chassis width strip in the kit, maybe it is intended for the footboard im not sure, in the instructions it says make some from scrap, anyway ive soldered it on all along, tinning it with the normal iron then attaching it with the RSU. not sure if its 100% prototypical, its not very neat but it is pretty straight and solid,anyway its a quick job and looks alright in the flesh, as my dad always said, you wont see it when its running round :)

also repositioned the battery box

next time I would do the footboard first when doing the chassis, something else learned.

post-27-0-27539000-1341570668.jpg

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 1

couple of shots of it on Dolgellau, had a test run and ran well. also gave it a good run fast on the club test track,

we where debating on painting the grey panels, I want to do them but he wasnt too convinced but we talked him into it.

will mask them off and leave the grey primer.

its had the roof vents fitted and the roof primered after lots of buffing down.

not too sure if the little auxilery box is fitted the right way round but it was starting to melt so I just stuck it on.

think its ready for paint now, just the handrails on the ends, and the bar that goes along the end from cantrail to cantrail which Im not sure what they are.

post-27-0-25568500-1341616449_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-65791700-1341616526_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

stuck

just doing the ends, ive got a picture of the plain end of a similar coach in the Jenkinson Essery book, Ive done the horizontal bar that goes from cantrail to cantrail and also the vertical one which attaches to it.

what I need to know is whether the other end with the window matches?

also thinking on doing the 2 vertical strips on the ends which I think are part of the structure. but I cant be sure they had them as some did and some didnt.

Are the horizontal and vertical bars on the end part of the emergency operating gear that destroys the vacum in the braking system when a passenger pulls the emergency chain inside. If so the bars had a flat indicators at the ends that lay horizontal when in the normal position, and vertical when operated by a passenger. The indicator could then be seen by the guard identifing which coach, by looking along the train.

Gordon A

Bristol

• Like 1

The little horizontal bar on the end is the emergency apparatus and is on one end only (never the brake end). When the emergency chord is pulled it turns the horizontal bar on the coach end, which is geared to the verticle bar that in turn allows air to access the vacuum pipe to apply the brakes.

• Like 1

just putting the glazing in, for this Im cutting a strip of 020 plastic, I was tempted to try 040 to help with glare, but I dont think the seats would then fit in. the thinner plastic also means you can get away with one long strip along the coach, its nice and easy to cut with a pair of scissors and has backing either side so that it isnt scratched, then a blob of canopy glue applied straight from the tube to the inside of the coach at each thick pillar, held in with clothes pegs until its dry, for a metal coach I would probably suggest a cloth against the coach side when doing this so it doesnt get scratched or just take extra care.

post-27-0-25576200-1341780575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

its getting there..

since last night it has had the paint scraped off the handrails to reveal the brass, brass door handles fitted (not sure how long they are going to last)

it has been t-cut and waxed, then the hinges door stops and door gaps given a touch up of a brown/black weathering mix to highlight them.

bogies painted black but still not finished, roof weathered. and guard and weight decals added, im not sure where the M number should go the one in the book doesnt have any.

roof is only just placed on for these shots, wrong way round too ive just noticed, still has the cream and wood interior to paint and a few other jobs.

post-27-0-11555100-1341844267_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-54116100-1341844286_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-22231600-1341844306_thumb.jpg

• Like 3