RMweb

Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

Thanks Michael, I remember now you mentioned that, I had forgotten.

A question for Tim and Horse, or anyone who has purchased the Brassmasters version.

if you look at the sample build on their website, where did the cylinder draincocks come from? All the photographs I have looked through show the standard format of 3 simple cocks and pipes?

Have I missed something??

Errm....I need to have another sift through. I suspect that they've been carried over from another kit. They look like something the original Patriot or Royal Scot should have...

Some instructions would be really helpful, but they're not going to be published until the end of this month.

Edited by Horsetan

• 4 weeks later...

6200 or 6201under way from Michael's updated etch.

Hi level hornblocks but with a compensation as per Martin Finney, i.e. front driver rocks side to side, rear drivers move on separate arms each side of the  gearbox.

Non combustion boiler (adapted from Michael's drawings) as this was the state in 1947, with solid axles. It will be in LMS black. Comet tender, Gibson wheels, saving the ultrascale set for the brassmasters model (which I have to wait until xmas day!)

post-8340-0-39833100-1417049499_thumb.jpg

post-8340-0-24878400-1417049519_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received the  CD and the extra etches yet?

I would like to know what is contained in the etches and also if any additional castings are included.

A bit disappointed in some of the white metal castings as these are the same as the ones cast in Lost wax brass in their other kits (royal scot for instance) and I think for the high price these should be L/W  ot W/M, what do others think

Happy new year BTW

Phil

Has anyone received the  CD and the extra etches yet?

I would like to know what is contained in the etches and also if any additional castings are included.

No sign of anything since the website changed. Either these things are stuck in the Christmas post, or they've forgotten to send them out. I was going to send an e-mail to find out what had happened,

A bit disappointed in some of the white metal castings as these are the same as the ones cast in Lost wax brass in their other kits (royal scot for instance) and I think for the high price these should be L/W  ot W/M, what do others think....

Lost wax brass would make soldering less nervous. Weinert, the German HO loco kit manufacturer, makes almost every single detail casting in its kits in brass - which probably explains why their kits cost about £800.....

Guest Lyonesse

another picture this time one of the valve gear

Very nice indeed.

Sorry, I may have missed it if you said, but where did the brass casting for the piston valve crosshead come from?

Guest Lyonesse

the piston valve crosshead is from Brassmasters, they will sell some castings separately if you ask nicely

Phil

Thanks.  My PR is sitting packed in a cardboard box (somewhere!) thanks to a house move.  The piston valve slide bar is currently one of the sticking points.

• 1 month later...

Dear all have a Mike edge chassis etch awaiting my eventual attention....( currently engaged with. Stephenson valve gear 44767... The end is in sight)... Looking forward to more posts to move me on to the princess....

Dear all have a Mike edge chassis etch awaiting my eventual attention....( currently engaged with. Stephenson valve gear 44767... The end is in sight)... Looking forward to more posts to move me on to the princess....

It's not a 4mm build of a normal Lizzy but it may help kick start your build of one! As it's Anne in 7mm.

post-8920-0-03172000-1424256931_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

• Like 4

Update on the brassmasters version, they are aware

There are still a number of outstanding components

The mechanism that links to 2 halves of the reversing rod

Snifting valves, two supplied but there should be two under the front footplate and two on the external steam pipes

I started to use the E piston slide support but in the etch adaption from P4 to EM the width is too narrow, If you are building EM frames you will need to use the P4 version and reduce the width of the frame stretcher.

Handle the smokebox with great care it is very fragile before the smokebox door is fitted.

The cab ventilator cover is missing

Bogie support plate assembly, only one of each version is supplied in the additional etch, there is of course one each side. If you are using the angled version the other one can be adapted.

There is a need for an additional lubricator if you are modelling the production series

You will need to make a strip to fit between the cab sides and the footplate valance

Working on the valve gear at the moment, have a basic running chassis and will post some pictures soon

Philbax

Perhaps they should do what Mike does... build a pre production kit before selling production kits with all the bits??

I would be surprised if they hadn't. They put something together for the photos on their website. Perhaps the deadline of getting the kit out for a particular show meant that it was rushed out before fully tested.

Having just finished the artwork for a pre group inside cylinder 4-4-0  loco with three test etches to check and adjust things, I know it isn't an easy process. Probably much more so for a complicated loco such as a four cylinder pacific although they at least they have some preserved ones to look at.