coachmann

Please don't throw your money at the bookies on this one Hayfield.....I have some Marcway points and would fit these if I had a mind to, but Peco suits my purpose. Watching trains on well laid track is my goal without recourse to route diagrams, tortoise motors, spagetti wiring and what-not. C&L is a bonus in that it will add to the realism between the points! Should Peco listen to the British calls for British-looking points, then expect further track-lifting! :biggrin_mini2:

Yes. I tested various wheels from Romford to Bachmann, then the ultimate test was with my Bachmann LMS 'Crab' which for some reason has rather deep flanges. It's the loco in the pictures. My other 'Crab' had its flanges reduced on a lathe because of the Peco Code 83 flangeways, but an easier method was later found.......Increase the depth of the flangeways with a narrow file!

Hello Larry

Interested to learn that you have had a flange clearance problem or two using C & L track. I had begun to think I was alone in having stock which rattled as it negotiated the curves on Hest Bank, which are laid on the up & down mains with C & L and which in every other respect I have found excellent. I haven't noticed that the chairs are particularly heavy on C & L on the insides of the rails, but I observe that the same stock, when negotiating SMP track (which I have used on the Morecambe branch), does run without any rattling. I am guessing the solution is to put up with the noise until the stock has worn away the chairs to the point where they don't foul the flanges any more, and hope this does not jeopardise the holding capability of the chairs.

Anyone else noticed this glitch?

Terry D

Just to clarify, this does seem to be happening whether the stock has Jackson, standard Bachmann or Hornby wheels, so I don't think it's a wheel standards problem.

To introduce the Directors to Newton Heath men who were rostered to crew them on this occasion, the engines were sent there some days beforehand and worked the 8-35 a.m. Manchester Victoria-Blackburn, the 6-2 a.m. Greenfield-Leeds returning on the 9-15 a.m. (SX), 9-20 a.m. (SO) Leeds-Man­chester Victoria, and the 5-35 p.m. Manchester Victoria-Todmorden as well as several local freight and parcels trains on certain of the intervening days."

Thanks Derek. Had I known of this working I'd have included it in the Delph book. It's a perfect daylight turn from Leeds and so I now need to find out if the stock was non-corridor or corridor. It's funny that friend Jim (Davenport) never mentioned or photographed it, though i think he got the railtour.

Yes. I tested various wheels from Romford to Bachmann, then the ultimate test was with my Bachmann LMS 'Crab' which for some reason has rather deep flanges. It's the loco in the pictures. My other 'Crab' had its flanges reduced on a lathe because of the Peco Code 83 flangeways, but an easier method was later found.......Increase the depth of the flangeways with a narrow file!

Hello Larry

Interested to learn that you have had a flange clearance problem or two using C & L track. Terry D

Apologies but I must have written it badly.......I didn't have any problems with the C&L track. The 'Crab' was mentioned as the worse senario and it passed the C&L test with flying colours. It just wasn't happy on Peco American Code 83 points.

Thanks Derek. Had I known of this working I'd have included it in the Delph book. It's a perfect daylight turn from Leeds and so I now need to find out if the stock was non-corridor or corridor. It's funny that friend Jim (Davenport) never mentioned or photographed it, though i think he got the railtour.

This must be a rail tour that I have a picture of heading towards Rochdale, the picture being taken in Moston cutting.

If you would like will find it and post it.

Thanks John but i have a shot near Mills Hill. It's not the D11 special I am interested in, but the local working from Greenfield to Leeds that the D11 were used on to familiarise the Newton Heath crews. I'll just have to trawl through Jimmy's photographs to find it on 'normal' days, probably worked by a 2-6-4T or Black Five.

Unfortunately, I recieved notification that there is a problem with making up C&L track and that ready made up track cannot be supplied at the moment unless i am prepared to make up the rails and track bases myself. Doesn't look an easy matter without some kind of base holding jig. It could be back to the drawing board though if I'm honest I am rapidly losing interest.

Unfortunately, I recieved notification that there is a problem with making up C&L track and that ready made up track cannot be supplied at the moment unless i am prepared to make up the rails and track bases myself. Doesn't look an easy matter without some kind of base holding jig. It could be back to the drawing board though if I'm honest I am rapidly losing interest.

Coachman, not spoken wither Peter but I guess its a short term problem, this is off C&L's web site

new batch of trackbase does not fit our jig. This after having been supplied with samples beforehand that were sent to ensure that they did fit.

I have decided that we will offer customers the chance to at least get some track.

I have reduced the price by the cost that I normally incur when I pay someone to make up track for me in the jig

Perhaps its a goot time to step back and take stock for a bit.

Another option is to use Exactoscale fast track bases, the sleepers are 1.6mm thick so much closer to Peco's points and you have the correct width sleeper width and spacing at a very similar height to Peco track. Down side is that you have to thread the rail on to the bases, but being thicker a lot easier to do than on the thinner sleepers

Hi Merf,

Thanks very much, but I've thought about the situation at C&L all this morning while working and have decided I'm not messing around any longer. Peco will go down.

.....at least until Saturday when there maybe another change of heart!!

In all seriousness, when its a model which you will be operating for a number of years then you have to be happy that you have done the best you realistically can. You dont want to change your mind in a few years time when the whole scene has been completed.

Looking forward to the next stage of developments

Regards

Mark

I have some clockwork Hornby tinplate in stock... oh hang on, that's not OO-gauge is it :jester:

I've successfully curved some Code 100 diamonds in the past Coach, but have to confess I haven't yet played with Code 83 yet. However, can't imagine it's that radically different. Unlike the slips, you can cut the essential notches in the middle of the item. I did it by cutting them from beneath three out of the four rails (leave one of the centre ones intact. I can post a picture at the weekend if you can wait.

Thought I'd open a book:

Current odds -

SMP 6-4 Fav

C&L 3-1

Peco (Code 75) 5-1

Marcway 6-1

GEM (with cast crossings) 100-1

Tri-ang Super 4 150-1

Hornby Dublo (3-rail) 250-1

Peter,

What odds are you quoting for Trix Twin 3 Rail Black Bakerkite track please?

(My first layout 60 years ago used it)

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Wish I was a Mod.....I'd rap all your nuckles for filling my thead with betting slips instead of Tips for the Average Modeller.... :spiteful:

But Larry, they can't fill your thread with tips for the average modeller as you aren't average! :sarcastichand:

Jeff

Archived