Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Toilet Help!

dseagull

In our rented house we have a fairly ancient bathroom set - 70's/80's I would suggest (It's avocado-coloured, which says a lot...!)

Anyway, earlier the toilet wasn't flushing with any power. I've taken the lid of the cistern to reveal that there is a bleedin' great hole in the top of the cap that connects the two halves of the syphon together (The Blue bit on this picture from Wiki

It seems, however, that I can't buy a 'cap'. Replacing the syphon is, I suppose, an option, but as we rent I don't really want to A - mess around with the plumbing and B - spend too much.

My question then is a simple one - have I been looking in the right places, as I haven't been able to find this 'cap' online - or, what is it's proper name so that I can do a search of the usual places.

Ta.

You're posting this on a modelling forum so surely you must have some Milliput to bung the hole up with :)

That's not a bad idea! - The 'hole' was more of a split when the problem first arose. Unfortunatley when I put my finger on it to see if I could then flush it properly, my finger went through it....

Isn't an advantage of renting that your landlord is responsible for maintenance? As this could be a health hazard something the landlord could be expected to sort soon.

When I had a problem with a cistern recently I searched out the manufacturers markings on the original and googled. I found a suitable replacement, with suppliers apparently doing some spare parts but not necessarily all the parts. Like everything else parts may no longer be manufactured.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKzXEytJHQ it's available in the UK through eBay. No connection other than satisfied user. You can at least make a temporary repair, I don't think you'll be able to buy the cap alone, just the siphon complete. However you may be able to find an old one and take the bit you need, they're pretty standard.

HTH

Rob

Problem is that my finger-poking didn't help... - although it is that old and brittle that it would have fallen apart at some point anyway! Whatever, I'm not willing to let someone else take the hit for it, so I'll either get a very cheap syphon and replace it, or use compound.gaffa tape to do a bodge job for now.

Cheers. Pun away.... :D

• RMweb Gold

With one that age I suspect you'll have difficulty getting parts - I had that problem with one some years ago and finished up doing a partial renewal changing bits to new where necessary and they would fit with the old, it would have been simpler to totally renew the innards! As BD has said - 'landlord earn your rent'

As has been stated earlier, get the Landlord to sort it out. If you fiddle with it he might hold you liable for a full repair.

Having said that the cost of a replacement unit is not excessive http://www.screwfix....sh-siphon/20824. Fitting will vary depending on whether the cistern is close coupled or not. If it is not then replacement just got easier. I would expect someone competant to be able to replace the unit in under 1hr subject to them having the correct tools, but it should really be down to the Landlord.

P.S. You would need to ensure that the new unit is the correct dimension for your particular loo, the above may not be. Have a full bucket of water handy to act as a flush should someone get caught short during the fitting.

Agree, it is the landlord's expense. The siphon unit should be replaced the 'cap' as you refer to it is not a separate part it is plastic welded on.

Also a lot of old siphons have changed design (probably to comply with some new ruling of EU or eco) to do with minimising water use. Although fitting a new one is a relatively easy job if you know what you are doing it is possible to create more problems with the seals into the toilet and on the inlet side.

• RMweb Gold

It is the landlords responsability (I say that having been one), he must repair it and may want to install a modern low flush kit.

If you try and repair it and it doesn't work you are liable for any water damage.

As has been stated earlier, get the Landlord to sort it out. If you fiddle with it he might hold you liable for a full repair.

Having said that the cost of a replacement unit is not excessive http://www.screwfix....sh-siphon/20824. Fitting will vary depending on whether the cistern is close coupled or not. If it is not then replacement just got easier. I would expect someone competant to be able to replace the unit in under 1hr subject to them having the correct tools, but it should really be down to the Landlord.

P.S. You would need to ensure that the new unit is the correct dimension for your particular loo, the above may not be. Have a full bucket of water handy to act as a flush should someone get caught short during the fitting.

The company I used was http://toiletspares.co.uk/ The replacement the website suggested was quite different from the original - it does use less water so may well have been to do with legislation requirements. As I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing I emailed them and had a helpful response within a couple of hours. Doing the work didn't take too long and it was the correct replacement.

Paul Bartlett

If you get no joy from the landlord and it is urgent to repair it, you could go to the local plumbing store and buy a new syphon (they are readily available). Either locate the valve for the supply to the cistern or tie off the ball float using a piece of wood across the top of the cistern, and string tied round the ballfloat arm, to hold it shut. Undo the bottom syphon nut under the tank and remove the flush pipe. Place a bucket uder the cistern and release to top syphon nut. Catch the water left in the tank using the bucket. Undo the flush lever linkage on the top of the syphon and remove it. Position the new syphon and repeat the process in reverse.

If the toilet has a close coupled cistern, call a plumber. There are several seals around the flush pipe and cistern securing bolts which require careful adjustment on these cisterns.

• RMweb Premium

If you'd posted this a few weeks ago I could've given you replacement, avocado coloured cistern from my bathroom that I've ripped out! Avocado toilet, sink and shower tray, beige carpet, brown tiles, and one wall painted lilac. It was not a pretty sight! :O

I agree with what others have said, get the landlord to sort it ASAP. By all means do a temporary fix so you can use it, but leave the replacement to him. That's why you pay rent!

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKzXEytJHQ it's available in the UK through eBay. No connection other than satisfied user. You can at least make a temporary repair, I don't think you'll be able to buy the cap alone, just the siphon complete. However you may be able to find an old one and take the bit you need, they're pretty standard.

HTH

Rob

Just go carefull with te Self Almalgamating tape as it can pottenially leak rubber or at least on fuel lines but for a toilet it should be good

Archived