Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

As ever removing numbers with Tcut but yellow stripe more of a problem. I would get some clear decal paper and spray VT red and cut a thin stripe. It might prove possible to use a little piece of red bodyside stripe transfer and allow a little weathering to mask the change.  

The number is right for a TRSBhttp://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk3-HST/Mk3-TRSB/18325547_nq25H5#!i=1411042056&k=djM44sd&lb=1&s=A

shows it in withdrawn state a while back.

The glazing is also clear so needs a touch over with VT red on back counter windows and white in crew window.

Yes roof is a pain - I suggest  cutting out vents and gluing in correct order on a plain roof might be a way to create TRSB roof but up to you. 

Robert

Thanks for the replies!

Robert, that's one of the photos I found whilst researching the prototype, seems to be very little online about Virgin MK3 stock.

I hadn't considered an overlay approach to "remove" the yellow stripe; one thing I have done before is to photograph a model and print a section of colour. This was done on an On30 Mogul I had where I wanted to add numbers and a road name as white on black. Rather than find a printer to print white onto clear decal sheet I simply printed the background "Dirty Black" using a pipette tool to grab the colour from a photo and then print onto white decal sheet. It actually worked very well!

I have two to play with so I may have a go at some structural changes since one was only intended to run as part of a stock move train, so I could live without it if all goes horribly wrong. I am reluctant to do anything that seriously affects the overall finish such that it doesn't match the other coaches (although Dapol do seem to be capable of doing that to some extent for us all anyway!). I would rather accept that it may not be the correct vehicle but at least would be easily lost in a passing train rather than one that is prototypically correct but looks garishly different in its finish.

I should hopefully have 2x RFMs turning up today which will form part of a MK2 & a MK3 West Coast set, it will be interesting to see how they turn out!

Edit: RFMs just turned up and lo and behold they're the last ones with buffers numbered 10211, at least these are correct!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by pelhama

TRSBs are standard class, and are numbered in the 404xx range. The only ones now in use as such as the three with Grand Central. A number have been converted into first-class buffets, but in all cases have been renumbered as part of this.

Virgin did use TRSBs on their cross country sets, and these should not have the yellow stripe or the '1' on them. I've just had a look at the photos on Rails' website, and both of the two (40401 and 40434) are incorrect. As part of the same batch Dapol have also produced RFM 10211 in Virgin livery, which is first-class and should therefore have the yellow stripe and the '1'. It appears that they have incorrectly used the same livery for the TRSBs as well.

My original intention was to use the TRSB as part of a Cross-Country set although I had also been toying with the idea of a West Coast set. That may be the easier answer - to renumber it and leave the first class identification.

When ordered (so long ago that I believe it was on parchment) the description, if I recall, was simply "Virgin Trains MK3 Buffet - No Buffers" or something along those lines; so 50/50 whether it turned out to be a TRSB, or a TRFB, (or an RFM with TRFB markings and a TRSB number!).

At least they're here now, so just the TGS to go!

Cheers,

Mark

My original intention was to use the TRSB as part of a Cross-Country set although I had also been toying with the idea of a West Coast set. That may be the easier answer - to renumber it and leave the first class identification

You could do, but the seating arrangement would then be wrong - depends whether you are bothered about that!

Tis may sound like heresy but I'll be glad when my b/g HST buffet turns up however many windows it has and wherever the roof vents are. When I ordered it I think they had just entered service on the east coast mainline and the Deltics were about to consigned to secondary duties.

• Like 1

Tis may sound like heresy but I'll be glad when my b/g HST buffet turns up however many windows it has and wherever the roof vents are. When I ordered it I think they had just entered service on the east coast mainline and the Deltics were about to consigned to secondary duties.

Any idea of when it is likely to turn up?  I'm also waiting for a b/g buffet for an HST set and have also got the stage where it matters little about numbering and roof vent cock-ups as I can probably relatively easy sort them out. I've almost got fed up of waiting and it'll just be nice to actually get something to complete the rake rather than wait longer for further corrections.

G.

• Like 1

The windows are wrong which I would think would be more apparent than incorrect seating.

True - it's an inevitable compromise when there is only one tooling. It's also particularly obvious with the buffet for the East Midlands Trains HST, which is modelled as a 4-window buffet when all of theirs are actually 3-window.

I was going to say the same. The virgin buffet is correct on one side and only one window missing from the other. Not an unreasonable compromise in my eyes and it otherwise looks the part. Shame I'll have to sort out the classification being incorrect but at least I finally have a complete HST!

Does anyone know what happened to the DVT's due last August? IC swallow and Network Rail were expected. They were advertised as 'coming this month' (amongst other releases) by Dapol themselves in modelling magazines, but they never appeared!

I was going to say the same. The virgin buffet is correct on one side and only one window missing from the other. Not an unreasonable compromise in my eyes and it otherwise looks the part. Shame I'll have to sort out the classification being incorrect but at least I finally have a complete HST!

The TGS still hasn't been released.

I believe the only HST which it's been possible to actually complete so far is the Grand Central one, as they don't have a TGS.

I believe the only HST which it's been possible to actually complete so far is the Grand Central one, as they don't have a TGS.

Or (with modeller's licence on the catering vehicles and ignoring the CDL bumps) early Blue Grey BR pre TGSes...

I understand Dapol recently released these:

2P-005-320MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 1st  CLASS #41133  HST

2P-005-330MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 2nd  CLASS #42261  HST

2P-005-331MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 2nd CLASS #42280  HST

Does anyone know if they have coach letters? Dapol specified 'G' & 'E' for -000 & -001 respectively, but I can't find the info for the 3 above... Thanks.

2P-005-320MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 1st  CLASS #41133  HST - Letter H

2P-005-330MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 2nd  CLASS #42261  HST - Letter B

2P-005-331MK 3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 2nd CLASS #42280  HST - Letter E

We have 2 with the letter E and the same for G, if you include the one that comes with the power units. C is missing altogether.

Edited by Friar Tuck

Bit of experimenting tinting the windows being as Dapol arent doing it (yet?). 

For those that felt the tint would be inconspicuous maybe this will convince.  One window done on both sides.

Doing both sides really makes the model look a bit more like it with just the right amount of opacity.  I think this will really improve the premium feel of the Mk3 especially with authentic painting of the seats/picking out the headcloths, maybe the addition of curtains too.

With lighting it should look very good.

Mk3008_zps4a17defe.jpg

Early days.......still playing with the coach but its very fiddly and i think to do a repaint of the seats and tint all the main windows the glazing has to come out but it looks rather fragile...........easy to clip in no doubt but a pain to unclip and slide out.

I've seen Tamiya X19 smoke recommended for tinting windows like this - is that what you've used? I did try it once with a Poole Farish mk2 but it was difficult to get the right opacity without leaving brush marks - I'll try with an airbrush in future. (Tamiya paints always seem to brush appallingly -  I think the solvent base dries too quickly compared to water based acrylics like Vallejo) 

How do you get the seats out of these? I've got one of the ones with the misprint on them (Rails are selling them cheap) to try a few things out on, and it doesn't want to be dismantled! Roof and bogies come off easily enough, but how does the interior come out? Do all the glazing units have to come out first (some of which are wedged by the seats), or does the bottom come off?

Not the end of the world if I damage it, but I'd rather get it apart without breaking anything if I can!

Thanks