Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Painting Auhagen/Vollmer Kits

I have started using kits from H0 Auhagen and Vollmer which come with plastic that is pre coloured. Which comes across a bit plasticy. I would like to paint the kits to make them look better, but before I break open the humbrols. I am wondering, what is the best paint to use on these kits? Is there any I should avoid?

Can anyone recommend a good book on weathering buildings?

Thanks

Julia

All the Vollmer kits I've seen were your typical polystyrene kits. You are safe using either enamels or acrylics, but just to be certain test whatever paint you decide to use on the inside.

Here's an link with an interesting technique, you don't have to buy the powders he's using, substitute appropriate coloured paint from the local model shop...

http://drbens.blogsp...octor-bens.html

• 2 weeks later...

All my Vollmer & Faller building are overpainted in the same colour as the plastic using Anita's acrylic craft paint. Never had a problem even with the layout in the garage.

Just for interest, here are some of the Vollmer & Faller buildings on my german layout (before the backscenes and foilage were added) All have been overpainted and weathered with the above mentioned acrylic craft paints.

post-150-0-84994400-1343333219.jpg

dortmund04.jpg

All buildings are painted with acrylics but the brick buildings are merely 'wiped' over with Heki concrete road paint and the surface layer quickly removed to leave the 'mortar' .

This was Grafenwald, now sold to a group on the Isle of Wight.

Tim

Archived