Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Coming on nicely "Robert" , and thanks for your comments on 61070's thread on the LNER web. Strange that I just posted a photo of my bridge when you're in the throes of doing your mock up . I bet it took me at least twice as long to do my lattice work though !

Looking forward to seeing you at Nottingham with your amazing creation .

Roy.

Work continuing at a frantic pace in the build up to Barrow Hill (both here and on various workbenches around the parish). Much of the work on the layout is not very photogenic; however, took the camera in there this evening to try and capture one or two aspects.

attachicon.gifIMG_8417.JPG

Here is the new signal. Last time we saw it, I had actually just got the one arm working to demonstrate. Happily, last weekend I managed to squeeze in making the other one work so we can now signal a train into the east side bay platform (No.1), as here. The ladders have also been added and all painting completed so it is visually 'complete' - just needs the distant arm to be activated.

attachicon.gifIMG_8426.JPG

On the loco depot, a concentrated session with the soldering iron has seen the south end of the shed all wired up so the whole depot can be operated without leaving the control panel. All pretty conventional stud contact and section switches.

attachicon.gifIMG_8421.JPG

On the actual shed building itself, I've added an impression of the exterior smoke vents to the mock-up so it's reasonably presentable for an interim 'work in progress' stage.

attachicon.gifIMG_8427.JPG

Talking of mock-ups, I've made a start on making the remaining station buildings and canopies in this format, so at least we'll have a passable impression of the station.

attachicon.gifIMG_8431.JPG

Quite pleased with this close-up of work so far. The lattice-work on the footbridge is in fact intended to be the final version and here I have to thank JCL and his cameo cutter. If you follow his 'Wainfleet' thread you may remember the work on his footbridge which is of course another ex-GNR location. So, via the wonders of air-mail, Jason has provided me with a similar set of parts. That's another signal I owe someone!

OK, back to it... T minus 29 days and counting.

It is coming together. Grantham is so much poorer for the loss of the buildings on the downside. The mock ups certainly help to convay the atmosphere. Thankfully, we still have the original frame work of the canopy and the buildings on the up. If you need any detailed pictures, let me know.

Paul 4475

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing all that exciting.

I built a WSM J6 kit many years ago - well, I say kit... more like a few bits of whitemetal that didn't fit together really.

So did I Paul, but as I recollect the C1 was even worse, and the chassis "design" meant it could never travel other than in a straight line. Rather like the Stephen Poole GE 2.4.2 tanks........

Work underway on the first of two locos belonging to 'robert' in my care. Both to be ready for the 25th January.

post-19999-0-26155200-1389548760_thumb.jpg

The paint comes out next weekend, more so for the second of the two locomotives! ;)

• Like 7

Indeed. That's 35 x 2 lamps (that don't look like DayGlo milk churns), suitable for attaching to delicate Hornby lamp brackets and removable afterwards such that the locos are returned in the condition in which they were received. An executive decision made in a nano-second.

Rest-assured that the 'home fleet' are all steadily being fitted with functional lamp brackets such that the correct headlamp code can be displayed (and subsequently removed). A contrary but equal aberration (IMHO) is a group of locos stabled on a loco depot going nowhere displaying express passenger headcodes!

(Didn't tell you about that Tom, did I? MPD operator will be issued with a tin of lamps and a pair of tweezers for removing/attaching headlamps as locos come on and off shed :swoon: )

Very controversial subject you've hit on here, I fell foul of Mr T Wright with lamps on my 'Haymarket Cross' layout and whist I agree with certain points I can categorically say and I have photographic proof that locos were seen on shed with  lamps attached.  There's no way I can take the lamps off my stock as they are all working! and definitely more to scale than the majority I've seen on this forum. At shows I've attended I get so many positive comments from the attending public on my lamps and where lighting is poor in the exhibition hall (which is most of them) we turn off our layout lights for the last hour of the show and use only the yard lamps and those on the locos for lighting the layout.

Ian H       

Thanks for taking time to comment Ian,

Apologies if any unintentional offence/criticism caused of your work - always a danger when expressing an opinion. Clearly if your lamps are permanent and working then they're there to stay and the lighting effect sounds great.

All I can say in terms of photos of the real Grantham MPD is that the only locos seen with lamps are those arriving on shed or just awaiting departure - and then just one lamp, usually over the left hand buffer (viewed from the front). Even in the engine change siding, they still sport just the one lamp so obviously the two lamps 'express passenger' code was set just moments before actual departure.

My understanding is that, when booking on, one of the crews' duties was to pick up a set of (freshly trimmed) lamps from the depot stores (and return them again when bringing their loco back on shed at the end of their shift) so that 'fits' with home locos (at least) having no lamps on once disposed and stabled, prior to their next working. So my preference is for removable lamps so as to portray this (and allow locos such as a K3 -say - to display different lamp codes according to which type of train they're working).

But - each to his own. First rule of railway modelling applies!

• Like 3

Very useful information, I've always wondered how loco crews managed their lamps. I have read officially light engine was one lamp in centre but I've noticed many more locos with the lamp at one side or the other. At a show I have available around 130 locos with a good amount of them minus lamps some with the horrible over scale ones (I think Springside) and some with my own homemade ones which I use 1.5mm LED's to make. These, as you have said are permanently fixed so unfortunately can't be removed once on shed. I think if they were I'd be up the wall by the end of a show with up to six operators and so many movements taking place. 

• Like 1

Yes, it looks as if one lamp over the left hand buffer was 'allowed' to denote light engine working in and around the station at Grantham. If you think about it, that makes it easy (and safe) for the engineman to add/remove the additional lamp as the right hand position would always be the nearside (ie adjacent to the platform) in either of the mainline platforms. Perhaps this was a local (unofficial?) arrangement at Grantham - maybe Roy@34F (or any others who knew the station) could comment accordingly?

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Class 66 DIESEL sneaking into shot in one of the earlier posts.

You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

;)

Ben

Yes, sorry about the 'shed'. It has made an appearance in this thread before (#585 if you really have nothing else better to do!). Blame it all on Mrs4479 - one of her few vices (that I don't approve of!(!)) I shall tactfully suggest that it makes itself scarce over the coming month.

Mind you, in another life I do have some form with 'sheds'. This from a work-related visit some years ago to the factory where they were made.

post-16151-0-40224500-1389604870_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

One lamp over the right hand buffer (viewed from the cab, LH when facing the loco) was the RCH standard for a light engine until 1923. After that the LNER adopted the new indication of one lamp in the centre, but like so many other new developments it may have taken time to come into use everywhere.

Yes, it looks as if one lamp over the left hand buffer was 'allowed' to denote light engine working in and around the station at Grantham. If you think about it, that makes it easy (and safe) for the engineman to add/remove the additional lamp as the right hand position would always be the nearside (ie adjacent to the platform) in either of the mainline platforms. Perhaps this was a local (unofficial?) arrangement at Grantham - maybe Roy@34F (or any others who knew the station) could comment accordingly?

Yes , you're quite right in your assumptions Robert . Indeed  , we would go up light to/from Highdyke with a lamp over one buffer . So long as there's a lamp , it did'nt matter where . I remember at Kings Cross , in my days there , bringing an engine to Top Shed , or vice versa , the same applied . I'm sure that was pretty much the same all over , but I dare say someone will shoot me down on that . If going light a long way , eg. Grantham to Doncaster or so , well I think it would be best to put the lamp in the middle on the front , but it could be over a buffer on the back, I'm sure that would be ok.

Roy.

• Like 2

Previews of a couple of almost-finished Great Northern style coach conversions to suit both my needs and Grantham's: These are based strongly on the old Margate Hornby "Gresley" coaches, now in the Railroad range. A clerestory composite and a pre-group Gresley brake third are also in the paint shop, waiting to join these two.

post-3445-0-53231500-1389806235_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-31597200-1389806286_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-11098600-1389806313_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-68586400-1389806362_thumb.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 19

JCL: I was fascinated to recently discover your thread on plotter-cutters, especially in view of the way that such a machine might in principle be used to turn out layers for the sides of actual diagram GN coaches in an inexpensive low-effort manner.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Gold

JCL: I was fascinated to recently discover your thread on plotter-cutters, especially in view of the way that such a machine might in principle be used to turn out layers for the sides of actual diagram GN coaches in an inexpensive low-effort manner.

Thank you. We're doing a lot of experimentation at the moment that will hopefully mean that it will be a lot easier to cut out the sides, etc soon. Mike Trice and I are also having a go at bogies at the moment to see how we get on. It looks promising.

Grantham's O4, 6628, commissioned for 'Grantham' and will be running on the 8th and 9th February at Barrow Hill.

I've carefully used Yeadon regarding conditions of freight locos in this period. Yeadon states in one caption of an O4 on York Shed in 1938 that 'by this time, they were getting little cleaning'. It would make sense that Grantham's cleaners would be paying  most of their attention on the allocated Top Link locos (A1s and A4s) and possible smaller passenger classes, rather than their heavy goods locomotives.

Touch of limescale added due to this being the East Midlands, plus photos seem to show O4s having limescale seeping from under their domes through the 1920's and 1930's. Motion given an oiling over too and the smoke box has had a mix of powders to give a warmer colour suggesting a hotter area of the loco (a Tim Shackleton tip).

post-19999-0-32110900-1390137267_thumb.j

post-19999-0-01325000-1390137291_thumb.j

Just awaiting to hear from the 'Guv' how much coal is required, and a couple of final touches before delivery on the 25th.

Edited by 2750
  • Like 13