Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Do please give us a clue as to what you did to speed up your PC, before I finally lose patience and thrown mine out of the window! I keep moving image files off the hard drive, clearing out temporary files (internet or otherwise) and running scans for nasties but I'm swimming against the tide......

Which operating system? How old is the PC?

Seeing as this thread has gone completely off topic My machine and my wife's XP boxes were both running very slow. In view of the fact that XP is due to be End of Lifed after April - i.e. no further security updates we replaced both machines with a single laptop. It came with a house hold Mc Affie (probably wrong spelling) applied to the new laptop and older XP boxes and 'as if by magic', the XP boxes have a new lease of life well 'til Apil any way. They do seem to run more quickly.

Any way enough of this geek talk - lets see more trains - I'll fail to get to Barrow Hill where is it going to be shown next?

:offtopic: An off-topic reply which I hope is a one-off seeing as it is not my thread. I'm a numpty with PC's so please excuse any references to thingies. When I got the message XP would no longer be supported, I followed some leads and downloaded a different thingie, which took quite a while to complete. With it came a new search page called MSN UK Outlook, formerly Hotmail and Bing. It was a damned nuisance chock-full of moving adverts and headlines, but Facebook stopped freezing and Hattons and RMweb began to be more usable. In addition one of my program's began to behave again. The next move was to find the equivalent of my old Google-search with its plain uncluttered page. I dun other things too while messing around. Surfing websites is a doddle again though I had to put back my favourites on the top tool bar. The chap I used to depend on told me I needed a new PC a few years ago, so there was nothing to lose by experimenting.

• Like 1

Yes you are right. Apologies!

The email title mislead me and was referring to the other show...

Edited by 2750

I'll fail to get to Barrow Hill where is it going to be shown next?

To confirm therefore...(!)

After Barrow Hill, Grantham will next be seen as a complete layout at the Grantham Rail Show in September 2015 (don't have actual dates to hand), which will therefore be its first appearance at an actual model railway exhibition (Barrow Hill being a 12" to 1foot event).

However, prior to that, 'mini' Grantham will be at the East Midlands (Nottingham) show next month (15th/16th March). As it was some pages ago now, I think I can legitimately post the following picture again. By 'mini' Grantham, I mean something like this:

post-16151-0-40062900-1391536099_thumb.jpg

This should enable all movements across the north end junctions to be demonstrated. The title of the demonstration is 'building Grantham', the idea that this moves on from last year's demonstration (on adapting Peco points) to show that trains do actually run perfectly OK following the trackwork modifications.

I have also accepted an invitation from Barry O to make a demonstration of myself at Warley this year; the exact format of this has yet to be decided.

There is a date in the diary for 2016... but methinks there's a danger of getting too far ahead of ourselves at this stage :secret:

• Like 5

Always a good idea of a photo or two of how it "best fits" for future reference and so that helpers can load it into the van...

-- Two humble suggestions, if I may,  from one who has assembled & disassembled more electronic eqpt. than I've enjoyed hot b'fasts. -

>.1 - For assembling the layout in the Exhib'n. Hall -

>.1.1 - Determine the first or 'Originating' board - for example,  the board that carries the southern end of the rail'y. stn. or some other easily recognisable feature. Either on a corner or on the transverse end-piece to wch. the 2nd. board will abut paint a BROWN indicating mark;

>.1.2 - Proceeding CLOCKWISE and on the next board, (2nd.),  paint a BROWN indicating mark, ie.: the two BROWN ends will be joined together; at the other end of the 2nd. board paint a RED indicating mark,

>.1.3 - The next board, (3rd.),  to go against the 2nd. board's RED indicating mark will be RED and at the other end ORANGE;   the 4th. board will be ORANGE and YELLOW, and so on through GREEN, BLUE, INDIGO, VIOLET, SLATE & BLACK.

>.1.4 - For further boards you'll have to use two colours at each end: BROWN over RED; BROWN over ORANGE and so on until you'll return to the originating board whose unpainted end will be colour-coded as necessary.

>.1.5 - If the above is considered too fiddly then you may use letters of the alphabet in a similar fashion: --A; A-B; B-C and so on all the way around until you return to the originating board.

>.2 - For loading the van -

>.2.1. - Decide upon the first board to be loaded - at both ends of the board paint the number ONE, (1);  the van's internal & carrying frame will be similarly numbered ONE, (1).  Or if stowage boxes are used then each box will be lettered to correspond with its board;

>.2.2. - The second board to be loaded will be indicated by a TWO, (2);  the carrying frame or stowage box ditto;

>.2.3. - And so on.

>.2.4. - For boards with no bldgs. etc. on them, just trackage, (as in a Fiddle Yard), that can be stowed as they are and on edge, then they can be labelled L1., L2. etc. for those going in on the van's near side and R1., R2. etc. for those going in on the van's off side. 

>.2.3. - And so on and so forth.

-- Apologies if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs.  -- :pardon: 

- But, as the Classicial Greeks used to say: 'Well begun is half-completed.';  as true then as it is today.

Edited by unclebobkt

Thanks for taking the time to explain your methods, obviously based on years of (bitter?) experience. I'm sort of along the lines you explain in terms of board numbering and all board ends are marked accordingly. On Grantham, there are in fact several 'king' boards which you assemble out from and this has been useful over the first 5 years of the project (prior to having a room large enough to assemble the layout as a whole) as I could only work on 3 or 4 boards assembled at any one time. Most of the boards 'buddy up' (track facing inwards) for transportation; all except the smallest buildings are removed, together with all the signals, and stored separately.

We undoubtedly have much to learn so your comments are very timely and useful - thanks :good:

"Layout in a van" now on the way to Barrow Hill, ready for zero-hour tomorrow morning. Come along and see it if you can - savour the other delights of the East Coast Giants event at loco shed too.

Just in case it helps to tempt out any waverers, here's a small fraction of the non-A4 / Silver Jubilee / Coronation stock, packed and ready for the off, pictures not including a further box of teak coaches, a coal train and a fish train. Then of course Mr Weallans is bringing enough stuff to make my contribution here look like a token effort.....

post-3445-0-21647200-1391763795_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-42825900-1391763899_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Sadly I'm tied up today and tomorrow, so I wont be there until Sunday to operate.

Hopefully my pacifics will perform well...take care of them guys!

• Like 1

Sadly I'm tied up today and tomorrow, so I wont be there until Sunday to operate.

Hopefully my pacifics will perform well...take care of them guys!

Soory I pressed the wrong button, is there any way to undo a comment ? I meant to say I am sure they will and enjoy Sunday....Owen

Can report that the layout is all safely set up and running OK. New 11-coach Flying Scotsman set has run satisfactorily. Chris Nervard (Model Rail) was present latterly and so we have a fresh photoshoot (plus a bit of video) in the bag.

Look forward to seeing any RMWebbers over the weekend (we will be wearing badges!)

• Like 4

Only a couple of snapshots from today, was very nice to kick back and watch for a little while.

12392196473_4c167f1068_c.jpg
M1290004 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

12392262173_b8fb3ca3d0_c.jpg
M1290050 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

12392109685_f5b90fc076_c.jpg
M1290052 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

12392110765_2dcab0034e_c.jpg
M1290053 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

12392257723_1cde84689c_c.jpg
M1290047 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

12392259933_a2098d2a16_c.jpg
M1290048 by Coldgunner, on Flickr