Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

No problem Arthur - it's the top link in your signature and these vehicles are about half way down the page, for anyone interested. My mate 31A also identified the 6 wheeler as Great Northern. The other GN coach, the D 183, will appear sometime in this thread anyway, so now is as good a time as any. This is what it would have looked like in its heyday:

d183_5.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for jogging my memory Jonathan. I wasn't looking forward to reposting them! I knew they were on the old site.  I note that all these old coaches were fitted with wagon style brake levers. No vacuum brakes on those trains!

ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

Hi, the 6-wheeler is GNR. It has the beading and panelling characteristic of that period of the GNR, when Howlden was in charge. A number of these 6-wheelers went on to be articulated by Gresley. No there would not have been any handbrake in passenger use.

I hope that this is of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

-- My Working Calendar reminds me that 76 years ago to this day, 03 jul. '38., the LNER's. loco. 'Mallard.' broke the then world's existing steam record for the fastest speed achieved by an in-traffic steaam locomotive. :-)

• Like 2

Thanks for above postings chaps ;)

Meanwhile, work continues on the Howlden 45 footers, concentrating on the vehicle ends.

post-16151-0-41848600-1404420084_thumb.jpg

Here, I'm preparing the emergency brake gear. Its not very clear from the photo, but the small block with the hole in it (above the piece of wire) is a piece of scrap whitemetal, filed to the shape of the brake valve. The vacuum pipe has already been soldered on.

post-16151-0-49109900-1404420124_thumb.jpg

Being whitemetal brings the low temperature iron into play. I've already tinned the brass behind with ordinary solder to give the low melt solder something to stick to. The eyelets at either side were soldered on previously and have a hole through them so the wire is used to align everything up.

post-16151-0-40819200-1404420275_thumb.jpg

The finished assembly, showing the linking pipe from the valve to the vacuum stand.

post-16151-0-90636700-1404420303_thumb.jpg

Other work on the ends includes the steps and handrail at the opposite end (on the left). The Brake third has also been similarly treated (this view shows its brake equipment). Both vehicles have also had the body-to-bufferbeam attachment brackets, drawhooks and buffers fitted. It all now looks satisfyingly 'fussy'. The redoubtable Mr Wealleans was recently heard to mutter 'there's a lot of work in a coach'. You're not wrong there!

Talking of whom, and seeing as we're on the subject of coaches:

post-16151-0-21486400-1404420710_thumb.jpg

As referred to elsewhere, I enjoyed a visit to Ormesby Hall on Monday night and was witness to the first trial run of the rapidly developing Leeds Quint set (check out Jonathan's workbench thread in the kitbuilding section). But I was gobsmacked to be presented with this gorgeous vehicle, fresh from the JW workbench (Restaurant First from a Kirk kit - like I needed to tell you that). Many 1930's ECML formations had a RF as part of the catering core (invariably paired up with an Open Third), so much more prototypical than the ubiquitous buffet coach, so No.1218 will be put to good use. Thanks mate :friends:

Don't you just love this hobby?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

Just a quick update. Repair work is complete in the chapel model railway room (for now) so we're about to be back in business.

post-16151-0-46303200-1404686545_thumb.jpg

The panelling repairs are complete, the 'window' painted sky blue (so we can pretend it's a perfectly sunny day!), the right hand light fitting re-tubed (so the north end fiddle yard operator is no longer 'in the dark') and the scaffolding tower packed away. So now the layout is coming back out to play. One half of the fiddle yard assembled in this view. Hopefully have trains running again by next weekend :sungum:

• Like 12

Gill hasn't made a bad job of that panelling. Did you have to spend a lot of time supervising?

Just occasionally looked in, glass of wine in hand (I helpfully pointed out that there would be a similar glass waiting for her when she finished - motivational, you see).

The spare time gained was most useful, further research you know (you really can't read too many railway books) :read:

I don't know - that bottom edge where it meets the white is a bit tatty.  Did she press the masking tape down firmly enough before she started painting?

Added to the 'snag list'. You just can't get the staff these days... :punish:

Basic circuit back up and running :)  Plenty more to do (eg getting out signals, buildings etc) but couldn't help having a quick 'welcome back' run, with 4479 herself in charge.

post-16151-0-35909100-1404938478_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-68081400-1404938504_thumb.jpg

Amongst other things, this gave a debut run for the new RF vehicle (fifth vehicle in the formation). Also prominent in the second view is the now complete turntable. Interestingly, I didn't bother cleaning the track for this quick run, but it ran fine nonetheless. Not bad for a layout that's been packed away for the best part of six months.

Better pix to follow shortly when it's all properly set out.

(Ooh and I notice the 'views' pedometer has just clocked past 100,000. Thanks folks ;) )

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

Guest 2750

Well this is certainly good news 'robert'.

My locos are rather fed up being stuck in their boxes longing for a run! ;)

post-19999-0-47391600-1404940398_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

G'Day Gents

2750, it's good to see that you have me lurking under the shelf. :locomotive:

manna.....(2596)

Indeed! ;)

Not back from the painters yet, she shall be appearing early Autumn, along with 2505.

• Like 1