Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Looks like I may be able to attend Nottingham on Sunday all being well, thanks for posting the link. If I'm there I will be sure to come and say hello. Unusual for me to be in the uk and for the exhibition to be only 1.5 hours up the road. For me this layout will be the star attraction. I'm sorry to hear about the gremlins last time out, I know very little about watts and ohms and so on, but the fact you're able to transport your layout and set it up and make stuff work is a huge credit to you and the team. I have enough difficulty setting up my 6ft by 2ft 6 layout let alone something like Grantham.

Wow Tom, that sounds great!

I don't suppose you'll have your Coronation with you? If you have, we could certainly do something with it in the last hour on the Sunday, even if it's just to pose it for a photograph or two.

• Like 1

hey everyone, just wondering what is a good source of information for named express trains and goods trains/express goods trains in the 30s for the ECML? 

thankyou

Hey Jesse,

Apologies for not responding your post of a few days ago - I was rather busy with a model railway exhibition!

Anyhow - check your e-mails; you should find something of use in there. ;)

Wow Tom, that sounds great!

I don't suppose you'll have your Coronation with you? If you have, we could certainly do something with it in the last hour on the Sunday, even if it's just to pose it for a photograph or two.

It's being repatriated in March, so I would be delighted to bring it along. I'm in the process of sorting out a suitable carrying medium for them that will enable them to endure a 12 hour flight. Luckily they should fit in hand luggage, here's hoping for a smooth flight! I better sort out the bogie on coach A it's causing derailments at the moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's being repatriated in March, so I would be delighted to bring it along. I'm in the process of sorting out a suitable carrying medium for them that will enable them to endure a 12 hour flight. Luckily they should fit in hand luggage, here's hoping for a smooth flight! I better sort out the bogie on coach A it's causing derailments at the moment!

You could try document card Tubes like wot Isinglass uses (but a bit wider diameter), but hand luggage inspection might go buzz buzz with shapes like that, especially with metal inside. Rather expensive but those nice clear, plastic storage boxes might be better for security searches and for continued storage in the layout room?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could try document card Tubes like wot Isinglass uses (but a bit wider diameter), but hand luggage inspection might go buzz buzz with shapes like that, especially with metal inside. Rather expensive but those nice clear, plastic storage boxes might be better for security searches and for continued storage in the layout room?

Phil

I brought a couple of 7mm Pennsy electrics through LAX as hand luggage. Yes all the bells went off but we ended up having a light hearted discussion once I showed them what the collection of wires and motors was. I'd got them direct from Sunset Models at their HQ and it would have been criminal to leave them on the shelf at the price I was offered them at.

Jamie

• Like 1

I once took a colleague to see the SP Jawbone Branch where it split off from the main at Mojave.  Unbeknownst to me, he thought I might like a souvenir of the line and popped it into my carry on bag.

Took some explaining when the x-ray machine went bananas, and the security guy pulled a hefty iron track spike from my bag.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Good to see the 'onwards & upwards' going on, but I think Jonathans, 'bickie' tin, is gonna 'cause one hell of a short !!!!

manna

I was concerned about the type of wheels and the livery......................................................................................gone.

P

Yer know what it's like. You don't know where to put something so you say 'I'll just put them in there for now'... 25 years later and the money-box-shaped-like-a-tram is the wagon wheels box and will no doubt be so now until the end of my days.

Dunno where it came from - Crich possibly?

• Like 3

Yer know what it's like. You don't know where to put something so you say 'I'll just put them in there for now'... 25 years later and the money-box-shaped-like-a-tram is the wagon wheels box and will no doubt be so now until the end of my days.

Dunno where it came from - Crich possibly?

Of course if you'd had one of these boxes back then, it would have been logical to use it:

post-8688-0-98852800-1456140474.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Outstanding ballasting. Given that its just about the suckiest job in railway modeling, mind you point rodding can run it a close second,

I think he deserves more than a few cups of tea. :nono: Maybe a slice or two of cake as well may be in order don't you think? :drag:

Regards Lez.Z.

• RMweb Premium

Hi there.

Outstanding ballasting. Given that its just about the suckiest job in railway modeling, mind you point rodding can run it a close second,

I think he deserves more than a few cups of tea. :nono: Maybe a slice or two of cake as well may be in order don't you think? :drag:

Regards Lez.Z.

Fresh ham and tomato buns plus tea = happy ballasted!

Couldn't ballast any more as I had ballasted the good lines on the next board already. Hopefully it will look fine when Henry the Hoover has removed the excess.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Blithering kobo spell checker!

Predictive text just doesn't make sense.

There is still a fair bit of ballasting to do so be warned, naughty boys shall be obliged to ballast the best DD yard or two of track, and that includes a certain Mr Duck!

Me, I find it therapeutic, perhaps I need to offer it as part of my railway modelling services?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1