Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Are the drain cocks scratch or bought ready made ?

They're scratchbuilt, Mick.

Brass wire bent to shape then I've used some handrail knobs to represent the cocks themselves from where the pipes emerge. I also used some thin fuse wire to represent the clamp that holds them together.

The pipes are set slightly wider than they should be to allow the bogie to swing from side to side

Bit fiddly but worth the effort (IMHO)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_5739.JPG

A rummage round in the chimneys and domes box was less successful in finding direct replacement parts so I set about modifying larger whitemetal items. As I don't possess a lathe, I set up this makeshift arrangement using my hand-drill mounted in a vice.

attachicon.gifIMG_5744.JPG

The results of those efforts, shown temporarily propped on top of the boiler / smokebox. Beginning to look the part now.

There's something you've not quite told us about what happened between these two steps. That chimney with apparently brass middle and upper parts surely isn't the original w/m one tweaked up with files? What prompted abandonment of the original cap which looks fairly GN shaped to me? Not tall enough? Or did it meet with a nasty accident on the "lathe"?

I do love those draincocks, is there any chance of a picture from underneath?

Edit: Also where are the guard irons from?

Sure thing - but give us a day or two as I'm not in a position to take a picture just at the moment...

There's something you've not quite told us about what happened between these two steps. That chimney with apparently brass middle and upper parts surely isn't the original w/m one tweaked up with files? What prompted abandonment of the original cap which looks fairly GN shaped to me? Not tall enough? Or did it meet with a nasty accident on the "lathe"?

Well spotted! I never intended to use the whitemetal one in its entirety as I felt that the very top of it didn't look right. Some of the GN 4-4-0's had the top of the chimney turned down to enable operation outside ex-GN areas; the donor chimney looked more like that, but I didn't like that look. Meanwhile, the brass one had the right looking top to it but was too tall, so it was a case of combining the two. I actually turned a spigot on the top of the whitemetal part which the bottom of the brass part (being hollow) fitted over.

• Like 1

I do love those draincocks, is there any chance of a picture from underneath?

Edit: Also where are the guard irons from?

OK, here we go...

post-16151-0-41358400-1451858731_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-19704700-1451858744_thumb.jpg

Despite several efforts, it's not perhaps 100% clear, so I'll attempt an explanation:

Each 'cock' is made up from two handrail knobs, one at 90o to the other. The draincock pipe (0.45 brass) goes through the eye of a small handrail knob, the shank of which is then located in the eye of the second (older, bigger style, which I fortunately have plenty in stock). The eye of the second knob has to be drilled out to 0.8mm to take the shank of the first knob. The shank of the second knob then locates in the hole at the bottom of the cylinder, intended for the moulded draincocks supplied with the model.

The only other additional part is an appropriate length of brass strip to assist with mounting and locating the cocks - it bears a passable resemblance to the draincocks operating rod.

By mounting them like this, they are rather handily offset outwards from the centre line of the cylinder (not too apparent from normal viewing) which all helps with bogie clearances.

The guard irons? They're cut from 15 thou nickel silver. I made a thin card template first then used this to cut the metal ones to shape. As might be apparent, they put up a bit of a fight as the front screws holding the chassis in place were somewhat in the way!

PS - slightly belated Happy New Year! (Been away for a few days)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

OK, here we go...

attachicon.gifIMG_5842.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5844.JPG

Despite several efforts, it's not perhaps 100% clear, so I'll attempt an explanation:

Each 'cock' is made up from two handrail knobs, one at 90o to the other. The draincock pipe (0.45 brass) goes through the eye of a small handrail knob, the shank of which is then located in the eye of the second (older, bigger style, which I fortunately have plenty in stock). The eye of the second knob has to be drilled out to 0.8mm to take the shank of the first knob. The shank of the second knob then locates in the hole at the bottom of the cylinder, intended for the moulded draincocks supplied with the model.

The only other additional part is an appropriate length of brass strip to assist with mounting and locating the cocks - it bears a passable resemblance to the draincocks operating rod.

By mounting them like this, they are rather handily offset outwards from the centre line of the cylinder (not too apparent from normal viewing) which all helps with bogie clearances.

The guard irons? They're cut from 15 thou nickel silver. I made a thin card template first then used this to cut the metal ones to shape. As might be apparent, they put up a bit of a fight as the front screws holding the chassis in place were somewhat in the way!

PS - slightly belated Happy New Year! (Been away for a few days)

That's very tidy. If it is of any use one can get 2mm handrail knobs (I will be using these on coach roof piping as 4mm ones look far too big IMO) and on some loco's those might look 'right' as the valves are not so chunky. Fattest valves I've seen are on Crabs IIRC. Sorry to drop off topic for  a mo.

P

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I didn't set myself a Xmas challenge this year per se over the festive season just gone, I ended up continuing the work on the station approach work and pleased to say managed to get it to some sort of conclusion.

attachicon.gifIMG_5773.JPG

Work on the station approach retaining wall saw it meeting up with the back of platform 1 at which point several interesting things happen. This includes the entrance to the footpath tunnel under the station and also that the wall becomes the back of the horse landing loading dock area.

attachicon.gifIMG_5800.JPG

Here is the maximum extent of the wall with the loading platform now constructed.

attachicon.gifIMG_5801.JPG

Got a bit tricky with levels here so, in the linking piece of platform, I have suggested a fall from the platform towards to the roadway at the back of the station.

attachicon.gifIMG_5831.JPG

Finished! (well, for now at least). I've put the canopy back in place to show how all this fits in. Sort of looks 'interesting' from this angle, a quiet little corner that rarely appears in photos of the real thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5833.JPG

By cheating (removing the station buildings at the north end of platform 2) we get the view looking the other way. This shows quite well how the retaining wall (right hand side) forms the back of the horse landing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5834.JPG

Meanwhile down on the roadway, the delivery drays go about their business.

attachicon.gifIMG_5838.JPG

This is the reality however - at exhibitions most of this won't be seen as it's largely hidden from view by the canopy!!

attachicon.gifIMG_5839.JPG

This viewpoint will be available however, if you're standing round the corner towards the north end.

Just need to apply some treatment to that bare area of wood at the top of the retaining wall. And the scene will be greatly enhanced when the lift out board returns from its winter detailing work (bottom left).

Whilst I didn't set myself a Xmas challenge this year per se over the festive season just gone, I ended up continuing the work on the station approach work and pleased to say managed to get it to some sort of conclusion.

attachicon.gifIMG_5773.JPG

Work on the station approach retaining wall saw it meeting up with the back of platform 1 at which point several interesting things happen. This includes the entrance to the footpath tunnel under the station and also that the wall becomes the back of the horse landing loading dock area.

attachicon.gifIMG_5800.JPG

Here is the maximum extent of the wall with the loading platform now constructed.

attachicon.gifIMG_5801.JPG

Got a bit tricky with levels here so, in the linking piece of platform, I have suggested a fall from the platform towards to the roadway at the back of the station.

attachicon.gifIMG_5831.JPG

Finished! (well, for now at least). I've put the canopy back in place to show how all this fits in. Sort of looks 'interesting' from this angle, a quiet little corner that rarely appears in photos of the real thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5833.JPG

By cheating (removing the station buildings at the north end of platform 2) we get the view looking the other way. This shows quite well how the retaining wall (right hand side) forms the back of the horse landing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5834.JPG

Meanwhile down on the roadway, the delivery drays go about their business.

attachicon.gifIMG_5838.JPG

This is the reality however - at exhibitions most of this won't be seen as it's largely hidden from view by the canopy!!

attachicon.gifIMG_5839.JPG

This viewpoint will be available however, if you're standing round the corner towards the north end.

Just need to apply some treatment to that bare area of wood at the top of the retaining wall. And the scene will be greatly enhanced when the lift out board returns from its winter detailing work (bottom left).

I have walked (!) through the footpath tunnel a few times in recent years.  It was relined by BR many years ago and is definitely tight to gauge for someone of my size now.  My father, who worked in the York bridge office, told me that when the work was done, hundreds of gallons of waste diesel had to be pumped out of the ground.  The culprits were though to be Class 40s, which had leaked fuel from their tanks over many years when standing on the curve .

• RMweb Premium

Progress has been delayed by the ballasting butter giving LNER4479 other problems to solve. Now all sorted so more ballasting to be done before Stafford.

And maybe a loco to be genteely weathered?

Baz

Ballasting nutter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

see I have given the secret ingredient in my ballasting away!

Genteely weathered?  Will it have to wear a cravat?

I always wear a cravat when weathering!  How did you guess?

:jester:

• Like 3

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

EXCELLENT work on that station aproach, such  shame i was not able to see the layout when i was over in november  :cry: but it was lovely to meet you both at warley, i will just have to see it when i am over this year ;) if i get the chance  :sungum: 

my layout is ahhhhhh "up creek" as us aussies would say hahaha. its going through a re design after talking with Mr Wright and seeing his presentation.....so i have come to the decision with my limited space that less is more  :yes: 

i will post some photos in the coming months 

hope you all had a merry christmas, and all the best for the new year :D 

• Like 1

Yo Jesse!

"up ###### creek" is a perfectly acceptable British expression as well...

Look forward to seeing your revamped layout  in due course. Hope you don't change it all again when you finally get to see Grantham in the flesh :jester:

Glad you enjoyed you trip over here - hope Donna did as well. :sungum: