Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

You could end up in the naughty boys ballasting team duck and SM....

Back to Grantham.....the whole layout is taking on a new life as the scenic work progresses.

Baz

• Like 3

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

well another aussie term would be that its turned out as usless as tits on a bull :) 

but photos will be up hopefully next week :) 

she did enjoy herself, and we cant wait to come back, especially for somemore of Mo's potato and leak soup :O YUUUMMMM 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

setts = less ballasting... wooopiiiddooo! - but wait .. is that a brush, ballasting, glue for the spreading of  in the plaster mix????

The scenics are coming on really well. the Ormesby boys really have a knack for getting it to look right

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really love the way that all those scenic works are coming together and making the layout look so real and complete! The north end is so right now with much of the scenic work completed.

That gate to the private siding, since it can be worked, can be opened just when a shunt move is due - just, I think, like the prototype.

With regards,

Rob.

Steady progress on the winter scenic work...

With these combined efforts we now have no bare baseboards showing other than at the extreme south end, so a little milestone achieved there.

I may struggle to recognize parts of the layout at my next visit.

• Like 2

Thanks Jason.

Yes, had the pleasure of hosting our North American visitor over the weekend. In his honour (sort of!) I decided it was time to crack on with another platform canopy.

post-16151-0-67803600-1453138213_thumb.jpg

Firstly, the six support stanchions are soldered up using a jig for repeatability.

post-16151-0-97373700-1453138236_thumb.jpg

These are then mounted on a piece of softwood (which will eventually be part of its carrying case) and the longitudinal pieces added.

post-16151-0-67244200-1453138261_thumb.jpg

The basic structure is temporarily placed in its intended location (Plat.5).

post-16151-0-88569200-1453138285_thumb.jpg

Soldering now complete.

post-16151-0-90871200-1453138307_thumb.jpg

Now with roof pieces added. Bit of a opportunity from adversity here. The model shop I called in at was a bit short on white plasticard sheet but did have 30thou (the thickness I was looking for) in black. As this will have tile sheets stuck on them then seemed like the ideal colour in the end!

post-16151-0-23584100-1453138332_thumb.jpg

Now, here's where Jason's contribution comes into play. Some while ago we'd corresponded and he'd used his wizzo Silhouette cutter to produce some cut-outs for the valances and ends that I could use to add the detail.

post-16151-0-53838100-1453139192_thumb.jpg

He's also provided some sheets for the rather distinctive and unique bracketry that adorned / adorns GN stations on the 'towns line' (I've noted the same style at Newark). Here I'm reinforcing the delicate parts with flange strips along the top and side.

post-16151-0-18193700-1453139208_thumb.jpg

Here they are attached to the first support stanchion - four per column! A bit of effort involved but achievable. Jason put the stopwatch on me and I assembled four such brackets (ie one column's-worth) in just under 23mins!

post-16151-0-91798600-1453139226_thumb.jpg

And here is the man himself (with some other fella ... and a strange red engine)

post-16151-0-77422400-1453139250_thumb.jpg

To atone for that previous image, here is a loco more appropriate for Grantham! Unfortunately (for Jason), GNR No.1 had 'flew the nest' back to the main NRM the previous month. However, the 4mm scale version (that was seen briefly at Grantham last April - page 80 I think) was still there in the Locomotion case.

Hoping to have this canopy all finished and painted ready for the Stafford show. Another temporary mock-up consigned to the dustbin!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

And here is the man himself (with some other fella ... and a strange red engine)

I reckon he was wearling those same clothes at mine. . . .He said he was travelling light!

Canopy looks good, I'm lucky as mine is much simpler and I picked up D&S valencing some years ago for it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris p Dave. I'm beginning to smell, what can I say?

I've been quite unlucky tracking down the Stirling Single. Last time I was over I went to York, to find it was at Shildon, this time I bypassed the NRM and found out the loco had been moved there last month. On the up side, there was plenty to see, and I've still got the Single to look forward to (unless it's in Dubai on tour or something) :) Next time I'll make sure I do a bit of research before getting on the plane.

Thanks again for having me.

Hello mister.

Thank you very much for allowing me to come over last night. I had a wonderful time with you both. The layout (or at least the boards that were there) was wonderful, and has certainly changed a lot since last time.

Thanks also for allowing me to pose my yet to be finished GNR A5, as it was good to see it in context. I've added a few photos so you can see how they came out. I promise to have it finished for next time. :)

Cheers

Jason

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

An Edwardian sequence on Grantham would look rather nice.....

Not to mention relaying all the track with 9 foot long, well spaced sleepers and nothing heavier than code 75 bullhead rail.....

But please folks, don't expand on the theme of track here, enough time and space has been wasted on that topic elsewhere quite recently.

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention relaying all the track with 9 foot long, well spaced sleepers and nothing heavier than code 75 bullhead rail.....

But please folks, don't expand on the theme of track here, enough time and space has been wasted on that topic elsewhere quite recently.

Really Graham? I'd love to go and joining that fracarse................................................not.

As far as I'm concerned, if Mr Grant Ham, as he is now known elsewhere (sorry Graham)  and his crew can make C100 look as good as it does on Grantham then why bother doing anything else?  

Phil

• Like 2

Noooooooo! I have a way of knowing what some people on this Web call me and it makes me laugh.

Hope you are not insulted G as it was a nickname given by a good bloke?

P

I like it! Didn't mean to give the wrong impression

Well he used to be a nun you know.

Did I? Good heavens! Well you learn something new every day...

Unintended radio silence last night as I was busy reactivating the layout into a running railway after several months of scenery goings on. The Up Goods Yard is now looking really well set in context with the rest of the layout; should be a nice backdrop for pix of trains south of the station.

So busy, I didn't even take any photos. I'll try and rectify that this evening...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks very nice. Looks like a lot of ballasting to do.....

Baz

Of course the Flying Scotsman is late and with a grey engine... Due to a big end failure further up the line..

Hat, coat, see you on Saturday.....

Baz

• Like 2