Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

39 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Where is the operator's armchair as seen in the first photo of the erected layout?

It travels in its own box, carried by two uniformed flunkies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Graeme, I am a bit concerned about  the photo of the loaded car. Where is the operator's armchair as seen in the first photo of the erected layout?

That’ll be what he sits on when driving.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Graeme, I am a bit concerned about  the photo of the loaded car. Where is the operator's armchair as seen in the first photo of the erected layout?

Didn’t Mr Bean drive his car from his armchair on the roof ……………..

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

It travels in its own box, carried by two uniformed flunkies.

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

That’ll be what he sits on when driving.

Interesting theories, but nobody has considered the possibility that it is deflated...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

So today we were graced by a visitor all the way from the land of Oz. That's a heck of a way to come to operate a model railway.

PXL_20240503_111528695.jpg.9e3b5b4d674371dddb93fd215b27c8d3.jpg

Mr Andrew Emmett, better known on here as 'Woodcock29, gamely agreed to take the controls at South box to help us out. He might even been getting the hang of it by the end(!)

He's concealing the panic rather well. Unless of course at that moment he did not have two different people shouting at him to throw / restore different switches, a third demanding a clear running line, and all of the shunting stock merrily derailing at the same time...

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

He's concealing the panic rather well. Unless of course at that moment he did not have two different people shouting at him to throw / restore different switches, a third demanding a clear running line, and all of the shunting stock merrily derailing at the same time...

Phew. Perhaps it's as well for me that the last Newcastle show was cancelled then.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Would you buy a used A4 from any of these men?

Nope - especially not the bloke front left...

• Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Saturday morning rolled around and having had no better offers, it was back to the show.    I like to record a general view of the layout for posterity and by the time I got set up to do this one, the Rapido boys were there with their goodies.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No-one can resist a Single, although the one I already have will remain single, I'm afraid.   A chance for everyone else who missed them last time around to catch one.   Mine has been a faultless performer at every show we've done and there can't be many weathered ones about.  I only know of one other who's been daft enough to do it.

spacer.png

Graham mentioned our visitor from Down Under, who brought with him this based-on-a-Ks J3.   Readers of the Little Bytham thread will already have seen it performing there.   I'd spotted the replacement Stirling tender (from LRM) but I didn't look underneath where it has the Mainly Trains J52 frames.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

It mainly (exclusively?) worked the Ambergate trip and performed beautifully all the time we had it.

spacer.png

I started to do my usual survey of what was out the front, but was interrupted fairly quickly.  I did see this trio of Atlantics in the shed.   We had a bit of a game with the Atlantics: there are 8 GN ones in all (not counting the brass one) of which 7 are C1s and one a C2.   One C1 (3251, in the background here) is reserved for the Leicester set as it has tension lock couplings.   One (4432) is a heavy hauler and works turn and turn about with the Pacifics, so should not really ever come on shed.   Of the remaining 6, 4401 failed on Saturday and is still awaiting works, but there should still have been 5 in traffic.   By Saturday afternoon we had not a one round the back and were really scratching around for suitable locos.  By mid-morning Sunday I think we had all of them again, yet that was a further one and a half times round the sequence.   It's a bit odd and just as well I acquired all those K3s during lockdown.

spacer.png

Just a little left, the north end pilot caught in mid-move when we stopped on Friday evening.   Graham and I, with others, have the sad task of disposing of Caroline Middleditch's railway collection so it's nice to see a small reminder of what a good modeller she could be.

Chris H posted another selection of views from Saturday on Flickr, so if there's no objection I'll add a few of those here:

Chris_H_Bristol_1.jpg.21231905e322dfe9c8bd606ac82063cc.jpg

The shed looks fairly empty here, nothing moving up or down and nothing on the main lines.    4217 is largely a static exhibit these days, being used for track testing in the main.   I think the J6 is 3622, a NuCast one I acquired last year.  I'm guessing the A4 is 4466 Herring Gull just on the length of the nameplate (Gadwall would be the other contender).  It looks like a Tom Foster weathering job so it has to be one of those two.

Chris_H_Bristol_2.jpg.527a1b5b055239d0d49765f54dc09631.jpg

Chris has then turned left to look at the shed throat and the queue of engines waiting to depart.   The A4 is Osprey, one of the two allocated to Grantham.   I think that one is a detailed Bachmann model.   6229 will probably be going to pick up the down (loaded) High D y k e working you can see in the previous picture and 4114 will probably be going on another trip to Ambergate.

Chris_H_Bristol_3.jpg.6b31e3a22930a1a48e57ef28e32fce26.jpg

Moving down towards the Great North Road bridge, it looks as though the incoming empty Ambergate wagons are being dealt with.   Below the shunter there's been a mishap and a job for the scenery team at Newcastle.   Some movement on the main line, though: K3 4005 has the up Aberdeen perishables passing the stabled Leicester set.   I didn't recall that 4005 had worked this train as well. it usually alternates on the Scotch Goods with 4771.    4005 is from an SEF kit with the GN cab and was painted by Larry Goddard.

Chris_H_Bristol_6.jpg.278dcf4c5c88c111ccc05aaf73597631.jpg

I've skipped a little way here: we're back at the shed throat and 2548 Galtee More has just come off a Leeds train and is coming on shed.   Atlantic 3275 has also appeared, most likely off the quad set which can be seen in Platform 5.  

Chris_H_Bristol_7.jpg.f0af75fbc6942f10941a510f5369c48b.jpg

A few moments later, Galtee More has vanished, most likely out of shot to the left in order to get onto the turntable.    4494 has not yet moved, but behind it 4114 has, as predicted, picked up the Ambergate trip and is getting ready to depart.   Above the brake van, the Atlantic which was in the south end loco spur has crossed over and is backing down onto the quad set to take it Up towards Peterborough.   In front of 3276 is another C1 which we haven't seen much, 3272.   This one is ex-Hitchin, scratchbuilt at King's Cross Models and after some fettling has turned into a reliable performer.  It's had a replacement motor and gearbox from High Level (one of the big coreless ones) and been festooned with pickups.  I just need to sort out the loco/tender coupling and it'll be done.

Rob_allen_2752.jpg.eceb368127b99f938fcb50b51ba40c86.jpg

Let's finish with this lovely shot Rob Allen kindly posted back up the thread of 2752 Spion Kop in the Down loco spur.    This is one of mine, based on a Hornby NRM 4472, weathered in the Tom Foster manner and a bit of a favourite.  Am I the only one who thinks that the NRM A3s are generally better performers than the normal range ones?

Good morning Jonathan,

Impressive stuff!

Andrew tells me that the tender of the V2 I built derailed a couple of times entering the scenic section heading north. Did anyone investigate?

It must have run dozens of times before without failure, so I wonder what's altered.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Andrew tells me that the tender of the V2 I built derailed a couple of times entering the scenic section heading north. Did anyone investigate?

Morning Tony,

I don't think the guarantee is being invoked yet.  It derailed in two places on the curve from the fiddle yard into the Great North Road bridge.   The first was an obvious track fault which was fixed.  The second was under the platform where the road vehicles turn and we didn't have time to unscrew that and test before the end of the show.   It'll be investigated at Newcastle.

• Thanks 1

Dodgy track Tony - blame the Civil Engineer (as any good rolling stock engineer always does)

(there's a new isolating joiner on the curve there, never an ideal situation, but part of recent electrical mods to reduce unintended section link ups. Did some temporary repairs at the show but needs proper fettling before the next show)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

D2 4327 at the bottom is a whitemetal example, either MSL or NuCast.   We tried this on the High D y k e empties, after a discussion over dinner about a couple of photographs we've seen of D2s on that working.   It wasn't a success but that was largely due to the loco itself: it's an experiment we intend to repeat.

Thanks for the photos and descriptions JW. But a case of mistaken identity here. 4327 is 'Sir's LRM kit build, now owned by Mark Allatt. You are hereby sentenced to 40 lashes.

The loco we tried on the iron ore was my 4317 (close, but no cigar). That is a M&L w/m kit which - most realistically, I thought(?!) - I rebuilt from a D4 into a D3. It's in your photo, looking at you (indignantly)

We also have 4329 on the roster, just to add to the 'D' confusion 🤪

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, thank you for putting that straight.   Regular readers will know that I don't often get that far north when operating and a lot of those engines never come past my bit.

I should say that we'd be very pleased to see other people's photographs from any show.  It's nice and also of interest to see the layout as it's viewed rather than from our side of the backscene.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I should say that we'd be very pleased to see other people's photographs from any show.  It's nice and also of interest to see the layout as it's viewed rather than from our side of the backscene.

Hi Jonathan @jwealleans, happy to oblige. The layout at York on 31st March '24.

IMG_20240331_153206.jpg.f1473cf746b4b45399d7f3ddd1877305.jpg

Hopefully my penchant for empty track, rather than trains/locomotives, will give others the opportunity to satisfy the trainspotters anticipation of what's next? 

Which exhibition in Newcastle is it you are at? Is there a poster/link you or Graham @LNER4479 can share?

John

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Graham.

Been to that one before and remember the 23 exhibition being cancelled as the school lost some cladding in the high winds a few days before the exhibition and so was closed on safety grounds. Look forward to seeing you there. 

ps Nice canteen as well 👍😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1