Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Clearly today's HSB is much modernised, well-polished etc. But I stick to my guns in saying that it's a working railway, not a preserved one. I can only experience this version of 'real' steam as it is in the 21st Century. Envious of anyone who was able to visit the railway in more workaday times.

In 1991 most of the passengers were quite local still using the train as everyday transport plus people from the former West Germany living near the border just exploring places they knew of but had never seen.  Foreign cars were few, in villages children used to gather round to see my car from England.  The line to the Brocken had not been reopened when I was there, that came in September 1991.

By 1992 there were a lot more tourists, organised car parking and so on.  The Brocken line was very busy but again many passengers were Germans from the former West.  There were still some Russian soldiers about at the summit., the last ones left in 1994.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Still impressive enough though?

Oh yes, we were on a heavily loaded 8 coach train with 222 doing the standing start, absolutely fabulous!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

PXL_20240320_103912391.jpg.b3730ae1438623fc9e572b441a95513c.jpg

Alexisbad is as far as the steam diagram runs in the morning. It is another junction station on the network, demonstrated by the railcar from Nordhausen making a connection, also reversing here to serve the short branchline to Harzgerode.

I rather like that squashed-in railcar.

• Agree 2

On 26/03/2024 at 22:37, St Enodoc said:

Unlike this country, the drivers don't mind you watching where they're going either:

20230907_134103.jpg.eb8243cef01ddf2c3d035dbad61df299.jpg

Photo Dave Jobling

Edited by jwealleans
Picture credit.
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now you really shouldn't go around saying things like that; it only prompts me to post even more photos ...

PXL_20240320_103803389.jpg.a0bfcc1dea313252a18cf9f0874e32b4.jpg

Here's a slightly more three-quarter view of the thing. They are not without their charm, although the older, more rounded examples are more aesthetically pleasing.

One of these days, we'll configure a trip so as to have at least an overnight in Nordhausen, where the HSB rails form one tentacle of the town's tram system. Have done it once before but it's over 10 years ago now. Only one steam working being the main disincentive!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That is wonderful Graham (and Co). Thank you. Looks like a really good time of year to go with fewer folk swarming around? The Towns look wonderful; I shall show my Son and his German partner, at the weekend. Her Stepfather has had a lot of experience with the German Railways in that he has always worked for the sort of ACAS they have in Germany. He would love this sort of excursion I'm sure.

Have a great York.

Phil

• Like 6

And a perfect cue for some pix of mine ...

PXL_20240329_113530372.jpg.10d237723ccb90863303b3a423e220e5.jpg

Here it is all in the back of the van.

PXL_20240329_113556569.jpg.1484519817cb8040fc4fe5b5d9554d07.jpg

Backed up for unloading.

PXL_20240329_121736099.jpg.5ff5293dde5f98a13347f8a79fe4e4f2.jpg

This is how close we were to the unloading point. Those familiar with the venue will know where we are.

PXL_20240329_124744903.jpg.f715178828290c64d8c18615af6df2ce.jpg

Set up proceeds steadily.

• Like 16

That's an image of the ironstone hoppers for my album. Few if any successful shots in my possession show anything like a broadside view, as it's usually difficult to find enough space to stand back far enough to get the whole train from a reasonable angle, well lit, against a decent background. I know that one isn't a true broadside, but it's better than most which tend to be very "frontal", showing the loco quite well and the wagons receding into the distance.

Edited by gr.king
added info
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

Hi Graham @LNER4479. Stopped by a few times on the Sunday. Each time I called by you were either very busy inside, at the loco shed panel, or sorting out errant road vehicles, so didn't like to interrupt you.

Aargh - sorry to have missed you 😔 It’s very easy to ‘zone out’ in the middle of a show - priority is always on trying to put on a good show and keep things moving … a constant challenge on a layout like Grantham.

Glad you enjoyed your visit nonetheless and hope to catch up on a future occasion😉 Thanks for the photo.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Perhaps Steve and Graham can tell us what they're so intent on here

The whole weekend was a blur to me, Jonathan!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, 31A said:

The whole weekend was a blur to me, Jonathan!

That's what going on holiday with El Jobbo will do to you.   Mind you, playing trains with Clive until all hours probably didn't help either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

My split chassis J39 ran superbly right up to the point where it had a Comet chassis in EM. I even had it converted to DCC with its original chassis. 

Martyn 

• Like 2