Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I'm sure going back to pressing a couple of buttons to set your paths was quite therapeutic Gilbert. Lovely seeing you again yesterday. :)

Here is something that will give some of you a chuckle. Graeme's epic 4-8-2 'CITY OF LINCOLN' moves on to Grantham's 70ft turntable, and you can see

Jonathan's delight getting her to almost fit (with one hell of an overhang!)

post-19999-0-54510000-1378112589_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'm sure going back to pressing a couple of buttons to set your paths was quite therapeutic Gilbert. Lovely seeing you again yesterday. :)

Here is something that will give some of you a chuckle. Graeme's epic 4-8-2 'CITY OF LINCOLN' moves on to Grantham's 70ft turntable, and you can see

Jonathan's delight getting her to almost fit (with one hell of an overhang!)

attachicon.gifIMG_5243.jpg

Was that a design planned by the LNER that was never built?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was. The build is documented on Graeme's thread over on the LNER forum. I'd say I was pleased, turning a 72' loco on a 70' turntable.

It was supposed to fit according to the GA, I was told.

Grinning like a big kid with a new toy... :)

• Like 1

Grinning like a big kid with a new toy... :)

That was nothing Paul...You should have seen him when his two sentinels were hauling 50 wagons around the layout! Like a kid in a sweet shop! :mosking:

Speaking of which those cakes by Mrs W were superb! :yes:

Edited by 2750
  • Like 1

You will need a 90' foot Turntable if Graeme's (or is it Graham's) keeps bringing his 4-8-2.  Marvellous stuff. like all the photos.  Must think about booking a flight to the UK just for the trains.  In 2011 I saw Gresley Beat and Gainsborough, but so much more.  Save Save and Save.  Maybe in a few years time.

Mark in OZ

• Like 1

Must add my own thanks to 4479 for the invitation, the welcome, and the operating lesson on Sunday, and to all those with decent cameras who saved me having to make my own photographic efforts. I'd have added my remarks last night, but after two and a half hours drive home, unpacking holdiday luggage, then drinks/snacks/showers it seemed a good idea to just enjoy a lttle more quiet "quality time" before turning in for the night in readiness for work this morning.

A thoroughly enjoyable Sunday after a nice week in the Dales, including jolly good scones in Aysgarth and the Weallans' excellent hospitality on Saturday.

I'll be back.........

Hello Robert,

Very nice to see that the 'South Box' has appeared on the layout.  And the Bulleid? 1948 loco exchanges I expect (though it looks lie a WC/BB rather than MN Belgian Marine, which I think had an LMR tender with a scoop).  Peter Wilkinson, who was at our event on 24/7, remembers this: http://returntograntham.wordpress.com/loco-department-staff/peter-wilkinson/ (near the end).

I enjoyed your Movietone / British Pathe filming from the air too.  Did airships ever overfly Grantham in the '30s?  You could do something quite special with all that airspace!!

A fair description. Well well, that loco was in Askrigg only last Friday......

Regarding my P1 that couldn't pull as much as the whitemetal C12: I've just checked the loco weight and she tips the scales at about 13oz. The open-plan nature of the chassis means that nearly all ballast has to go in the body, and I reckon I might just be able to cram in another 2oz. On my own layout, which fits in a space of about 14ft x 13ft, with 3ft radius curves at 3 corners and a much more generous curve at the fourth (through the station), my longest loop will hold loco, 33 coal wagons & brake. My cosmetically loaded (hollow load) coal wagons are all of typical RTR weight with free running pin-point bearings and the P1 never has the slightest trouble with those. As a test this morning I brought the train up to 55 similar wagons. On the level sections of the layout (it's all supposed to be level) the loco was still well in charge, even with the wagons trailing round two curves, but on unintended gentle rising gradients it begins to get light on its feet (without slipping to a stand). Only when asked to start, or run very slowly out of the worst unintended dip is the loco finally beaten. I estimate that if I cram in the extra ballast the loco might fully master 55 wagons and be on its limit again with around 63 - but even with 55 it became noticeable that as the loco was finally managing to drag these out of the low part of the layout the extra drawbar tension was beginning to pull one or two wagons off the rails even on those 3ft curves. I'm not sure whether to interfere.....

It depends whether you want to show off with it on the 6' and easier curves at Grantham, really.  Looking at the photos, she was taking the leading 35-ish wagons, including all of mine, some of which are ABS whitemetal P7 hoppers and some of which don't roll very freely.  On the slight downhill the J71 was left behind, but even on the rise into the fiddle yard I'd be surprised if the couplings went slack more than 15 wagons up the train (the division was the 'Maltby' wagon, if you can see where that is).

I will try to get them rolling a bit better before she makes a return appearance.

• RMweb Gold

A fair description. Well well, that loco was in Askrigg only last Friday......

Regarding my P1 that couldn't pull as much as the whitemetal C12: I've just checked the loco weight and she tips the scales at about 13oz. The open-plan nature of the chassis means that nearly all ballast has to go in the body, and I reckon I might just be able to cram in another 2oz. On my own layout, which fits in a space of about 14ft x 13ft, with 3ft radius curves at 3 corners and a much more generous curve at the fourth (through the station), my longest loop will hold loco, 33 coal wagons & brake. My cosmetically loaded (hollow load) coal wagons are all of typical RTR weight with free running pin-point bearings and the P1 never has the slightest trouble with those. As a test this morning I brought the train up to 55 similar wagons. On the level sections of the layout (it's all supposed to be level) the loco was still well in charge, even with the wagons trailing round two curves, but on unintended gentle rising gradients it begins to get light on its feet (without slipping to a stand). Only when asked to start, or run very slowly out of the worst unintended dip is the loco finally beaten. I estimate that if I cram in the extra ballast the loco might fully master 55 wagons and be on its limit again with around 63 - but even with 55 it became noticeable that as the loco was finally managing to drag these out of the low part of the layout the extra drawbar tension was beginning to pull one or two wagons off the rails even on those 3ft curves. I'm not sure whether to interfere.....

It's interesting that weight does not scale linearly.

A P1 was designed to haul up to 100 loaded coal wagons (although it's doubtful they ever did due to other considerations), and the weight of the combined loco and tender (according to Wikipedia, that fount of doubtful knowledge) was 151.4 Long Tons, which equates to 153.8 Metric tonnes, or 153829.5 grams.

1/76th of this is 2024.07 grams, or 2 tons in round numbers.  So your 4mm scale loco should weigh about 2 tons to have equivalent tractive weight. (Yes, I know there's lots of other factors involved).

On the other hand, the electric motor in the loco is probably wildly overpowered for the actual weight of the model, compared to the prototype.

I reckon 55 wagons on 3 foot radius curves and uneven gradients is pretty good going! especially since the friction loads at the axles will be far higher than the real thing.

Al.

Erm, I'm not sure whether you've zoomed in and looked at the wheels of the Bulleid.

See what you mean ...praps the SR hastily and secretly modified one of their Bullieds the better to tackle the ascent of Stoke Bank (OVSB himself having tipped them off?).  All ER men's attention being on the spamcan casing, no one noticed the crafty deception.

Edited by 61070
  • Like 1