Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim

When Andy has processed the photos I then have to draft the article but he told me that he didn't think it would have a too long a lead in time for publication.

Well deserved Nick and I look forward to seeing your article.

• Like 1

That is an amazing photograph of a superb model. Sometimes the simplest form of lighting can have really surprising results. Now that I'm drooling at the mouth I can't wait to see the others.

Now all we need is a button for 'Fantastic, super, great', for those of you old enough to remember Reggie Perrin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do feel putting that halogen work light right above Mr. York's head was a bit unfair. Was it for a diffused lighting effect?

The layout is looking mighty fine. Look forward to seeing the rest of Andy's efforts.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Nick and Andy

That shot using the low lighting angle is superb, showing mastery of the layout and the photographer's skill.  It is so great to make acquaintance with Much Murkle again, such a great job you have done of it Nick.

Cheers
Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Nick; it was a lovely afternoon. I think we talked non-stop all of the time!

Thanks to Nick's innovative lighting solution in the form of a 1:76 sun at the other end of the room; it's certainly given an opportunity to try some challenging lighting and tones in the pictures which will give a different result as Nick has alluded to. I'll very much look forward to getting the other shots 'processed'.

I've found a 'sky' which suits the shot looking away from the evening sun (it was taken looking Frenchwards a few weeks ago rather than being from Urfordshire though).

attachicon.gifFeature2-final-Recovered_s.jpg

It really is a superb layout. :)

Magnificent !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all of you for the comments and 'likes' they really are appreciated and even though the likes log against my profile as much credit should go to Andy's skill with the lens. You wouldn't believe how much I've just sat and looked at that last photo with a stupid grin on my face.

Just a word for Tony (trw1089), I know it's been a while since you've seen Much Murkle and I'm pleased you like it. For anyone who hasn't seen Tony's Wakefield West layout I suggest that you go and have a look, you won't regret it !

• RMweb Gold

Just found this layout,After i seen a pic in how realistic are your model,And it is stunning i love it,very very nice.

Hi, I'm pleased that you like it. Seeing as you are in Cheltenham, Much Murkle will be at the GWR Group Cheltenham show in October 2015. I know it is a long way off but come along and say hello.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that 43xx a weathered Bachmann model.If so what else have you done to it to make it look so real.Mine has really shiny wheels. :O

Hi Rob, yes it is an elderly Bachmann model that also had shiny wheels. If I remember correctly I used a Birchwood Casey Super Black pen (google it available from Squires, Eileens etc.) around the rims and on the coupling rods and then weathered over the top of that. It does have a tendency to flake off though after a while but is easy to retouch.

The treads and flanges are still shiny but the lighting hides it well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, yes it is an elderly Bachmann model that also had shiny wheels. If I remember correctly I used a Birchwood Casey Super Black pen (google it available from Squires, Eileens etc.) around the rims and on the coupling rods and then weathered over the top of that. It does have a tendency to flake off though after a while but is easy to retouch.

The treads and flanges are still shiny but the lighting hides it well.

I see they have those pens on ebay for about £7 available in matt and gloss.I assume it's the matt version we're talking about using.

• RMweb Gold

I see they have those pens on ebay for about £7 available in matt and gloss.I assume it's the matt version we're talking about using.

Yes Rob, it's called "Flat Black" on my version. Price seems about right.

Edited by nickwood

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just had a very nice time going through the entire thread, start to finish ( No 1 daughter was up at stupid o'clock!)

Delightful modelling, Nick. Between yourself and Rob ( ANTB ) the GWR is starting to look very appealing to this S&D loving Welsh man.

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Thank you for your kind words. As well as Robs superb A Nod to Brent there are a number of very good GWR based layouts around RMweb. If you haven't seen them already do a search for John Flann's Hintock, Highlandman's Salcombe, Jules's Mayshill, Aberdare's Hemyock (a real gem), Westerner's Wencombe, Dukedog's Steam on the Cambrian, Mikkel's Farthing Layouts and John Dew's Granby to name but a few from immediate memory.  Apologies for any I've missed. These will provide you with plenty of winter evening reading.

Edited by nickwood

Nick and other GWR layout makers...

I have to agree with recent posts about some of the superb GWR layouts that provide us with much inspiration with their stories and their photos. IMHO Much Murkle is right there at the top from where I am sitting (down under in NZ). The quality of the modelling is top-notch and your photos and the video in earlier pages is really interesting.

I don't get to see many top quality british layouts 'in the flesh' in this part of the world so the forum provides great information and learnings via photos etc. Also the GWR modelling web site.

Please keep up the good work for all to enjoy and to aspire to.

Andy R

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Must add Wencombe to the above list !

Thanks Mickey, I knew I had missed others but just couldn't bring them to mind. A sign of aging probably. Now added.

Nick and other GWR layout makers...

I have to agree with recent posts about some of the superb GWR layouts that provide us with much inspiration with their stories and their photos. IMHO Much Murkle is right there at the top from where I am sitting (down under in NZ). The quality of the modelling is top-notch and your photos and the video in earlier pages is really interesting.

I don't get to see many top quality british layouts 'in the flesh' in this part of the world so the forum provides great information and learnings via photos etc. Also the GWR modelling web site.

Please keep up the good work for ll to enjoy and to aspire to.

Andy R

Thanks Andy. I still think the GWR is the most evocative company of the Big Four, perhaps because it has 'Great' in its title. :declare:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No post for a while as I was busy writing the article for BRM before going on holiday with my family to the Florida Keys.  Whilst over there Andy sent me the photos that will be used and I have to say that he has done a superb job, pity that you'll all have to wait a while to see them.

I'm proud to say that Much Murkle will be featured in the February edtition of BRM out on 8th January. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The staff have been busy putting up the tree and the presents have arrived

Myself and the little Herefordshire folk hope that everyone who has followed the goings on at Much Murkle over the past year has a great time this Christmas and you get your own wagon load of goodies to play with in the New Year.
1289666052_MuchMurkleXmas.jpg.1fd409ef851f1b4c9d59369f0aab44d5.jpg

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 11