Heljan AC Cars Railbus - Decorated Sample

dcroz

Had another model of 79975 arrive today from Hattons this time. It has exactly the same issue with the model shorting when a dcc chip is fitted.? It all runs ok on dc, having been run in for recommended time. When dc plugs put back in it works again. Definately not the Bachmann 21pin decoder as i have tried a few diferent ones and they work in other models.

Pcb not touching any metal sufaces and cannot see anything that can cause a short. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue with the model as I can't find any reference to it.?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Colin

This might be of use if you're happy to change over the plugs: http://www.kayhernan.com/decoder-problems/

Hi BR(S),

Thanks for the link that solved the issue. Its all running fine now.

Best wishes

Colin

Excellent news.  It's always a pain having to send things back when there might be a simple fix.  With nearly 25,000 RMweb members now, someone's bound to come up with the answer!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else had this issue with the model as I can't find any reference to it.?

Erm...yes and fried a decoder because of it this evening.  As the info on the Kay Hernan link suggest Heljan obviously have a factory assembly issue that is not being picked up by DC test running.  Would help if the wiring was correctly colour coded.  2 sets of black and red wires coming out of a blind hole (one set connected to motor and one set connected to pickups) is just asking for trouble.

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but has any explanation been forthcoming about the massive delay to all but the first version of the OO scale AC railbus, and is there any sign when the others will appear?

Delay? Several versions of the AC Cars railbus appeared way back last year (light green satin, light green glossy, dark green syp all appeared). Some sold out very quickly and no second batch has yet been produced. 

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but has any explanation been forthcoming about the massive delay to all but the first version of the OO scale AC railbus, and is there any sign when the others will appear?

Delay? Several versions of the AC Cars railbus appeared way back last year (light green satin, light green glossy, dark green syp all appeared). Some sold out very quickly and no second batch has yet been produced. 

Here are the four versions produced in OO gauge:

http://www.ehattons.com/48130/Heljan_8800_Railcar_W79975_in_BR_light_green_with_speed_whiskers_semi_gloss_finish/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/48129/Heljan_8801_Railcar_W79976_in_BR_light_green_livery_with_speed_whiskers_Matt_finish/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/48128/Heljan_8802_Railcar_W79977_in_BR_dark_green_livery_with_small_yellow_warning_panels_white_c/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/48127/Heljan_8803_Railcar_W79978_in_BR_dark_green_livery_with_speed_whiskers/StockDetail.aspx

There does seem to be some conflicting info about availability.  For example, the Hatton's links suggest they have been and gone but Kernow Models suggest some are still to come (e.g. expected during March 2015: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35493/8803_Heljan_AC_Cars_Railbus_number_W79978). 

With all the Heljan railbuses that have come on to the market, is everyone talking about the same ones?  I know the Park Royal has been delayed.  

OK - I'll re-phrase my question. Does anyone know why the other three AC railcars were produced in such a tiny batch that they haven't actually shown up as being available for more than a few minutes before they were sold out, whereas 8800 keeps re-appearing? This is not what usually happens with Heljan releases.

• RMweb Gold

OK - I'll re-phrase my question. Does anyone know why the other three AC railcars were produced in such a tiny batch that they haven't actually shown up as being available for more than a few minutes before they were sold out, whereas 8800 keeps re-appearing? This is not what usually happens with Heljan releases.

That seems to be the really relevant question.  One or two versions appeared a good time back - none of the others seem to have.  Heljan sometime later start advertising them as 'nearly all gone' or 'sold out' or whatever yet some - including mine - have still not appeared at retailers.

Now I appreciate that 'manufacturers' suffer delays and that these can vary from item to item depending on which factory is doing the work for them in China and even, I expect, on the degree of sub-contracting by that factory but it strikes me as odd that something should be  about to vanish from the market before it has even been delivered to all retailers who have it on order.  Are Heljan also doing a bit of Hornby style 'rationing' and not saying anything?

I was dithering about buying one for my current project, that I'll get round to starting a topic on sometime. I fancied a matt light green one, but Hattons only had the semi-gloss one, with all the others showing as on order. The quantity in stock of the semi-gloss ones was getting rather low, so I ended up buying one rather than missing out completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Bit of an odd question but I recently took delivery of the 8801 version and it seems very slow - I've since run it in for 2 hours without much change. It is difficult to quantify 'slow' I guess, but the top speed is less then both the Hornby Sentinel and the Bachmann 03 tested with it, and significantly slower than any other Heljan diesels I've had previously.

Should I return it as defective? It otherwise runs nicely, very smooth and quiet.

Mike

Hi there,

Bit of an odd question but I recently took delivery of the 8801 version and it seems very slow - I've since run it in for 2 hours without much change. It is difficult to quantify 'slow' I guess, but the top speed is less then both the Hornby Sentinel and the Bachmann 03 tested with it, and significantly slower than any other Heljan diesels I've had previously.

Should I return it as defective? It otherwise runs nicely, very smooth and quiet.

Mike

Sounds a bit suspect. I have three, two ACs and a WMD, and they all run well and have a pretty fair top speed (55mph was max allowed for the real thing although they could go faster). I have known tight bearings to be problem on Heljan mechanisms. Might be worth seeing if you can get it exchanged.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mine arrived from Liverpool this morning. Seven days from posting, a credit to Royal Mail and NZ Post.

Fought to remove the body for decoder installation. A couple of bits came away from the underframe during this process; easily reattached with a drop of superglue .

An hours running has resulted in a very smooth running model looking for a Western branch line to run on... 

post-14583-0-53983400-1432196987_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully this is useful.... having renumbered my (7mm) AC Railbus to SC79979 I've also changed the destination blinds (as per on Page 4 of this post).

Font I've used is Calibri (body) size 9 - CAPS White / Bold with black background. To get the background beyond just the text; enter several spaces, your text, more spaces - you may notice that there's no black background appearing..... so enter a full stop and the black background magically appears! Cut to size and it fits in nicely.

I was going for Glenagles and Comrie, but Gleneagles is a long name..... so changed it for Crieff. Perth is obviously also a good fit.

Anybody going for SC79979 in it's later days can at least have Ayr at one end, although hopefully not rostering for the Dalmellington turn!

• 1 year later...

Archived