Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Given the right resourses, what would you really do with the money...?

1. My dream house, sorting family members out, wedding and setting up all the businesses I want would cost about £10 million, if 25% of my businesses succeeded then I would be happy and have enough to live on for the rest of my days.

2. I would then get top class security

3. I think it would be fun to build a new steam engine and go for the steam world speed record.

I don’t think I would put too much into my models as it’s on a 10 year plan and I don’t want to change that… plus with starting up businesses and avoiding the death threats that would probably come from 3 I wouldn’t have much free time.

Co-Bo/Class 15/ Baby Deltic projects would be given a boost, 40 145's generator would get sorted as well.

Might try buy Gordon Highlander and get it back up to spec and race it with RSG on the mainline, now that does sound like fun!

I suspect alot of my cash would head to the East Lancs to help them continue with their plans and id also chuck a fair bit up to the Wensleydale chaps as its a bit closer and i think has massive potential.

And id leave the rest to the missus as shed be fuming when she sees what id spent!

one day maybe..........................

• 1 year later...

Buy a load of land (near a railway line of course!) and build a nice big house on it with a large outbuilding for a nice big layout! Then get someone to lay a private branch line or long siding with a connection to the nearby mainline with a station platform, sidings & engine shed with turntable at the end of it and have a HST set and other favourite locomotives & coaching stock (Which I've bought) sat on it ready to take myself, the family & friends on rail excursions whenever I feel the need to travel.

I would donate some of it to relaying the old Midland Mainline through the Peaks between Matlock & Buxton (I know the Matlock-Rowsley South via Darley Dale section has been restored so far) with double track how it used to be in it's glory days, reopen the old stations and start a regular year round passenger service with Steam in Summer & DMU's in Winter which would cater for both locals and tourists.

And if I won a really massive amount of cash (e.g. £100m+ on the Euromillions) I would invest it in my beloved Sheffield Wednesday FC and greatly refurbish the Hillsborough ground to what the plans would have been like if the 2018 World Cup had been hosted in England (Instead it went to Russia) & give whoever the manager is at the time a big amount to spend on quality players that will get the club back in (And win) the Premier League.

one day maybe, we can all dream can't we....

Sam

I would create a very large 7mm scale layout which would be dominated by long coal trains. I would have no hesitation in buying in all the talent required to get this completed in a very short time, although most of the wagons would still be built by me.

If it was a stupid amount of cash I would be tempted to have a full size replica of GCR 1165 Valour built. It would look good on the present GCR preservation line. (Though not as good as it would going over Woodhead.)

Modelling: 7mm scale layout of Doncaster station between the north bridge and Hexthorpe bridge circa 1980

Prototype: Sponsor one of the DPS racehorses to be repainted into white cab BR blue

Personal: don't tell anyone, quietly pay off my debts and whack the cash into a blind trust

Car: 

well you just have to really

• RMweb Premium

1 buy my parents a bungalow as stairs are getting a problem,

2 pay off my brother and sisters mortgages,

3 insulate the walls of this house as it's only got 1 brick walls.

4 retire

5 have my small motor boat and land rover proffessionaly rebuilt.

6 buy my own sailing boat rather than sail some one else's.

7 have my garden landscaped so I can run a 7.5inch railway round it

8 get a 12inches to the foot scale Gloucester 1923RCH mineral wagon, and have it painted up in the old family colours and present it to the Swindon And Cricklade as they used run on the MSWJR.

9 fund the completion of Rememberance

10 spend my retirement using 5,6,7 and working on my EM gauge railway of part of the MSWJR.

The Q

1: buy a castle in Germany with a room big enough for a few scale miles of N gauge, and enough grounds to build a 60cm gauge line around

2: set up a trust fund for deserving UK preservation projects

3: complain about how modelling was much more fun when I didn't need 5 operators for a basic running session ;-)

I wouldn't mind winning at least £50 BILLIONS  :O then I could re-open the Somerset & Dorset, plus the Waverley route north from Carlisle (to link up with the section they are currently doing, from Edinburgh).

Both these lines could have a private siding into my (large) house, where my fleet of 12" :1ft mainline certified Diesel locomotives would be based :yes:   

Money isn't everything - if it was (and that would have to be an incredible sum) - I would probably give up railway modelling buy some expensive big villa somewhere with a better climate and away from all the other nonsense that goes on in the world (I know not where - as it is daft looking without the money)

When settled in and presumably bored with that life (unlikely) I'd commission a fully functioning very large layout to be built.

But as I don't gamble, have never bought a lottery ticket, bingo card or bet on GG's, or such like, I guess I'm never going to be that loser.

• RMweb Premium

If it was a big enough win in the 1980s, you could have bought the Settle-Carlisle and run it as the ultimate heritage line. (I know it's long before the eurolottery started, but hey, don't bother me with details...) 

Nowadays I'd toy with building a decent length of broad gauge track, maybe in a large (as in several miles diameter) circle, to see broad gauge stock running freely. 

Railway wise, build myself my own 'Children's railway', with some imported Russian equipment around my large (obviously) estate. Mmmm

!

Build a large model railway room.

Commission some RTR turn of the century PRR freight stock such as the GD gondola

True. But at least misery will be a lot more comfortable. Just ask the Rausings.

Not sure they are that good an example http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18880965. Miserable yes, Comfortable?

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't mind winning at least £50 BILLIONS  :O then I could re-open the Somerset & Dorset, plus the Waverley route north from Carlisle (to link up with the section they are currently doing, from Edinburgh).

Both these lines could have a private siding into my (large) house, where my fleet of 12" :1ft mainline certified Diesel locomotives would be based :yes:

So just where would you build this very very long private siding to your house from both the S&D and Waverley routes as there is quite some distance between both lines with the S&D being in the south and the other line in Southern Scotland???

Sam

Railway wise; big MR/ER 1950's layout in 00 gauge with plenty of A4's, A3's, O1's, B1's, B17's, 04's, J11's, Jubilee's, Black 5's (you get the idea!)

I'd also make a donation to the B17 new build, I'd love to see one of them and buy some proper ER metal and run them on some preserved railways down here in the South West that are tragically devoid of such stuff :D

I'd probably buy that wreck of a peak (45015) and get it restored back to as built condition with split headcodes and gangway doors. (If it still exists)

Apparently, my last post was wrong (#53). Someone's hit the disagree button, so my opinion is not fact.

I think you must have upset someone else who had the same idea...

G'Day Gents

If I won big, buy the 100km mothballed railway, between Adelaide and Burra (in South Australia) then have built an D2, K3 and a J6, in 5'3" gauge and run it to my hearts content.

manna

Apparently, my last post was wrong (#53). Someone's hit the disagree button, so my opinion is not fact.

Nor is mine...

If one contributes, the regular users of the disagree button to have something to disagree with. The answer is no one contribute!

Can't disagree with that...

Nonsensical 'disagrees' are very possibly someone using an iPad. Easiest thing in the world to trail your scrolling thumb, inadvertently, over that far right icon.......

I'd use my money to pay a chap to follow all my posts and delete any disagrees left in error.......

Just spotted this thread. Hmmm. Money no object? Well, I'm not greedy. Nice house, secure future for the kids etc etc. I've long harboured this bizarre desire for a Mk1 sleeper in the back garden and a rather nice 7mm end to end layout snugly built inside. Any money left over can be given away to disabled homeless lesbians or whatever the charity of the month happens to be.

Actually, that last bit's a lie. Someone earlier in the thread said they'd give their money away... are you MAD........?????????????? :O

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt want a large house otherwise you would have to employ cleaners etc which then means its no longer your own place.

However there would be a big modelling room where I could set up all the layouts and have space to build and store more, not forgetting my long time ambition to build all the key stations west of Exeter on the Southern routes.

And I would end a large HO USA outline fixed layout.

There would be a large attached garage so we could load layouts into the transport in the dry ready for a show.

The property would have to be next to a disused railway line so that I could have my own miniature / NG line to take me into the nearest town that had some very good pubs and a network rail station so I could do my usual trips round the country without using the car!!

I would also have a place in Portland Oregon so i could keep trying to catch up on all the craft breweries and bars that keep opening up almost faster than we can visit them!!

Oh well I can keep dreaming!!!

If money was no object, then I would fund a feasibility study into producing modern era 1:87 scale traction and rolling stock* or modern era family and fleet cars (not the products of Lotus or Jaguar Land-Rover Engineering)

I would also offer to purchase the moulds and business rights to the B W Models and RoadTransportImages businesses, and hopefully be able to make them better known / available through more outlets (I'm very much an impulse buyer)

For relaxation I would have a small farmyard and house with a couple of adjoining barns, one for my ideal layout, along with display space for all my die-cast and static vehicle models. And the other barn would be for my collection of private transport - a car, a motorbike, and a 44tonne truck.

:)

However money is the object. :(

* If I model the right sort of line and service I can get a 66 in the right scale already.

Edit to add the line above this one.

• RMweb Gold

For the sake of footplate crews everywhere I'd buy every extant 3- and 4-cylinder steam locomotive, lots of oxygen and acetylene bottles then chop out all the middle engines.

I'd start with that b****y Lord Nelson.....

Archived