Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Given the right resourses, what would you really do with the money...?

Guest Moria

Ohhh dreamland :)

1) Move to Dartmouth or Kingswear.

2) Get someone to build my model railway so I can do what I prefer and watch the trains go by and play with little detailing bits.

3) Buy a boat, something ocean going and big engines and paint it in GWR no1 and no3 stone :)

4) Get involved with the SDR (who know what preserved means) and try to arrange a link with Didcot to get more true GWR stock running on their line (Railmotor anyone? ) or, buy the TDR and donate it back to the SDR so that it is run by people that understand GWR again.

5) Try to win lottery again as I just spent it all.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

As I don't do the lottery my wishes are even more hypothetical than most but outside of the usual uses for a large amount of money the other beneficiaries would be my two favourite heritage railways. First the IWSR to enable them to get at least to the edge of Newport and then bribe the owners of the remaining E1 to transfer to the island. Secondly would be to enable the KESR to extend to Robertsbridge and even Headcorn if it didn't involve the demolition of too many properties. Oh and some bribery may be needed over the question of the A21 crossing outside Robertsbridge. With a Headcorn extension it would also be necessary to throw some cash at the owner(s) of the O1 to get it back from the Bluebell.

David

.....I've never really felt the urge to desert old Blighty's shores for foreign parts!

Well at least you'll be able to afford to live in Blighty.

.....Having money will not make you happy if you aren't already.....

True. But at least misery will be a lot more comfortable. Just ask the Rausings.

My voting-toting vehicle would be a replica of Hitlers 6-wheel Mercedes......

...with, er, replica flags from that era?

Father Ted: "Do ye not have anything from the Allied side?"

Father Fitzpatrick: "No, no, that type of thing wouldn't interest me at all....."

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about the need for greasing of palms to rebuild an old Irish railway.

I would have thought that if you made an offer of £59 m to the Irish government to buy the whole country they would be bitting your hand off to accept it.

If I had put all the money I've spent on the lottery in a tin I would probably have enough to buy a eurozone country by now.

Right, - £20 million

£6 mill invested in trust for my 3 kids. Twins stay at the existing schools the're currently at, oldest lad goes to Salford University to study Mechanical Engineering, as he currently intends to do. (£27K debt).

£3million cash float. New diesel jag for me, new car for wife (her choice). No intention of moving from sunny Wigan, though I'd buy a couple more houses, one in Thailand, one near Ross on Wye.

£3million to charity - NOT CASH - (keep the suits off it) - probably to buy scanning machines etc for local childrens / OAP hospitals. Would have to look at this closely as I do not wish to line pockets of folk who wear suits.

Leaves £8 million to split and wisely invest, and leave in trust for my kids. The monthly income from this I would live on / share with family / donate to charities that deserve it (Old people / kids / etc).

Oh. nearly forgot, a new model railway. I was looking at an old American "model Railroader" mag (1954) the other day, had a nice plan of a large layout, Southern Pacific, Oakland to Sacramento. This in O scale would do me fine. 60ft x 30 ft. A fine end to my many years of model railways / railroads.

Still we can allways dream. I'm more than content with what I have, (though my lad could do without the £27K debt)

Brit15

I'd buy £15,000 worth of 7mm kits to keep me going until I'm dead (or until the inevitable happens - as June Whitfield, Michael Parkinson et al say)....

Then I'd give the rest to my darling - she would be far better at distrubution of capital than I... ...and she can be blamed for everything afterwards....

Hmmm, interesting choices.

Possibly the first thing to do would be to re-lay WSR to proper standard gauge [7'1/4"]

so that a few proper sized locos could be built and run!

Maybe even fund the re-opening of the rest of the IoM network.

So many choices, obviously, after all family problems are sorted out.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

My voting-toting vehicle would be a replica of Hitlers 6-wheel Mercedes. Ivo's Bentley would be too subtle! Heil coachmann... :acute:

Larry, I think you may find that it was a Horch touring Sedan, not a Merc.

Regards

Richard

The very first thing I would do would be to build my Scout Group a new hut all mod cons with some proper heating system included, new camping equipment and pay for a group camp, either abroad or to loch goilhead in scotland. Then a slush fund for new kit evey year, to do with as they see fit.

Then one of the camp sites that we use is trying to raise money for a new toilet block and has been for a few years so that would get the boost it needed to get work started and completed.

I would be thinking about a nice shiny new unlimited credit card for both of these to get them sorted.

Obviously the nice new and classic cars would be a given so would the large farm building with a couple of barns, 1 for the cars and 1 for the helecopter.

Make sure all of my close friends are comfortable by paying off any debts/morgages, start ups for those I know have got plans on their own businesses etc.

Then it would be down to the railway. Modern Image in 0 gauge with, 60's, 66's, 67's, 86's, 90's, 92's, pulling rakes of intermodials, coal hoppers, car transporters and steel wagons, with HSTs, voyagers, pendolinos etc. and heritage specials in a large 4 track WCML layout inside a large shed approx 60' x 30'.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Quite a bit on restoring old coaches, have a mad purchasing on GWR corridor stock pref TKs and similar

Get XR220 restored to flying condition

Get nice house in Cornwall by the sea (south coast), not too far from Falmouth

• RMweb Premium

For me most would initially get invested whilst I got used to having loads of money. However after a while there would be purchases made. I would have to look at the potential of owning a steam loco, one currently out of ticket and in need to some TLC would be good. I wouldn't get hands on involved in restoring the thing, money would solve that problem. :-) The loco would have to be do to develop some form of return so a larger loco would be a likely candidate.

On the modelling side there would be a large storage unit purchased for that to allow for a larger model to be built yet also not tie you to a house should you decide to move at some point.

• RMweb Gold

For me the main benefit would be the time gained to do something rather than squeezing in to what spare time I have. If I did win and still modelled in N, I would only want a shed of 16*8 as after that I think it would be to big for me.

If I did splurge on a bigger house, I might look to see if I could get something around 32*16 and move to OO (or even a scale with better track), but the plan would be the same. Simple scenic layout for one half like I have with hemerdon now, and a city based terminus as the other part for operating which is part 2. Reckon I would need to find a couple of friends to help.

As with others, would look to use the money to help some others. If I won £100m on the euro millions, my grand plan would be to create a fund from around 90% of the money that could be used to fund local projects.

Assuming a HUGE lottery win, I have a checklist to follow:

1. Ensure that my, and Mrs iD's, old age was comfortably provisioned for.
  2. Ensure that my immediate family is provided for (countable on the fingers of one hand!).
  3. Build a new house that would allow me to enjoy my all my hobbies and make it old-age proof - so I can live there until I snuff it (d**ned if I'm going into an old folks home).
  4. Purchase things for selected charities (e.g. if a charity is raising money for the purchase of a van so that they can provide a bus service to a vulnerable group of people, I'd buy them the van, rather than donate money. Then I'd be assured that every penny of the £25000 [or whatever] I'd give for the new van actually went into the van and not "administration")
  5. Buy sufficient shares in targeted companies so that I could be a PITA at shareholder meetings
  6. Commission Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol/Heljan to produce locomotives and (principally) rolling stock for my layout - with the models going on general release once my layout had been stocked.
  7. Travel in luxury (bye-bye EasyJet and Premier Inns)

Alas, winning the lottery is not impossible, but (mathematically) very, very improbable (1 in > 465 Million I've read)

F

At risk of being a killjoy, I think too much money would take much of the enjoyment out of the hobby for me. I would rather see the world, give to worthy causes etc. than spend a lot more on model railways.

At risk of being a killjoy, I think too much money would take much of the enjoyment out of the hobby for me. I would rather see the world, give to worthy causes etc. than spend a lot more on model railways.

With enough dough you could do both!

iL Dottore - item number six on your list has reminded me of some of the projects I'd commision the major manufacturers to produce.... quite a lot of the models I have in mind would be those currently available in 4mm scaled up to 7mm in r-t-r fashion, with a bit of tweaking and added detail here and there as required... they wouldn't all just be for my own ends either, I'd do as much as possible to fill the gaps that other folk are interested in....

New 'state of the art' 4mm items from the likes of Dapol / Hornby / Bachman / Heljan etc :

D8xx Warships (both types covering all the variations!), a new range of Class 24s, 25s and 40s, Princess Elizabeth Pacifics, an additional range of BR Mk1s with raised window frame edges where appropriate, more well chosen pre-grouping locos and rolling stock, new flush glazed Bullied coaches, BR Standards to fill in the gaps left so far (71xxx, 77xxx and 78xxx...?), some SR freight locos (H15 / S15 anybody?), a good range of GWR / BR Collett coaches to please as many Western modellers as possible, more first generation DMUs including WR and Trans-Pennnine types, a range of platform canopy / overall roof kits along the lines of Rugby, Crewe, Carlisle, York, Paddington, Reading, Basingskoke etc in each of their appropriate company styles, more r-t-p signals from Dapol with the possible addition of etched arms.... and perhaps the mother of all projects - an entirely new range of 00 gauge trackwork with good sleeper spacing throughout, which could still be sold alongside the current Peco range to those who want it.

New 7mm gear :

Most, if not all of the above.... plus scaled up versions of the WR Hydraulics, Peaks, BR Standards, LMS, LNER and SR Pacifics, GW 4-6-0s, 2-6-0s, 2-8-0s and Tank locos, LNWR Super D, Royal Scots, Patriots, Jubilees, Balck 5s, 8Fs, various LMS 2-6-4 Tanks, SR Q1, M7, Schools and King Arthurs, B1s, B17s, V2s, V3s, L1s, K3s etc... and r-t-r plastic bodied flush glazed coaching stock to go with them a la Maunsells, Bullieds, Hawksworths, Colletts, Staniers, Thompsons and Gresleys etc.

As for 2mm / N Gauge, I'd bung a pile of cash Dapol's way and let them get on with it..... I wonder how soon the money would run out though....?

Right I need £100 million to make a serious difference.

£32M private jet, 15 on houses, 1 million on cars .employ cadre of fit ladies to hang around all day looking beautiful.

Bath in champagne, cellar full of Cuban cigars.

Er, did someone mention models ?...

Archived