Revamped Model Railway Express Site

Blue Horizon

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. Does not seem to have been thought through or tested. If you click home, it recreates a second version of the page within the first. If you click the home button in that you then get a 3rd version mounted in the second version, which is in the first. I got to 6 before giving up. Did this in IE 8. I will drop Pat an email when I get home.

• RMweb Premium

It is not completely finished apparently but so far:

I only get three-quarters of a screen coverage with a wide coloured border.

Using Firefox it jumps straight to new products page 1

I used to like a quick scroll down to see what items were of interest. Now you have to open several different categories to see the items.

As far as I am concerned a total disaster.

Probably remove from favourites unless it improves.

Keith

I always had MREMag as my homepage, actually liking a quick read through the day's snippets befor moving on to better sites (such as this one). I read todays news, moved on as usual. Then later on booted up the PC, to find the new site. AAGHH! Don't think I'll bother any more, I'll cut down on wasted PC time and come straight here. Sorry Pat, I'm oua there.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Well everything moves on. I checked it out and found it ok . Clicked on news and got what was usually the first part of Pats posting and then your say for the rest of it. Easily scrolled through. 2 clicks instead of one.hardly a major inconvenience

• RMweb Premium

Its been taken over as well. PH remains as editor at mo (in text) .

Now part of the 'My Hobby Store Group' details here http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/

Those who have been critical of MRE in the past now have the chance to do something about it as they are advertising for a paid editor and webmaster as shown in the extract below

We will be looking for a paid editor/webmaster to take on the production of three issues a week. That person needs to have a reasonable knowledge of the railway modelling and of the railway industry and its history. They also need to have a good command of English - well, at least better than mine! Let me have your name, email address and phone number if you wish your name to go on the short list.

Like Stewart Ingram, I connected to the traditional version before 0900 this morning, but later found the new version.

I think and very much hope that what we've seen today is only part of a work in progress. After all, Pat H said that next Friday's edtion will be the first of the new style.

Unless I mis-read Pat's announcement, the new one will be in the care of ModelFair, and their own website and news-letters are perfectly smooth, perfectly acceptable web-sites, well up to the standard of, for example, Kernow's offerings.

This may be a suitable time to give Andy another round of thanks, not only for the continuing very high standard of RM Web, but also for the extremely smooth way the involvement of BRM has been accomplished. Clearly the commercial partner is necessary in these constrained financial times, but all that was great about Andy's 'independent' RMWeb is so clearly still with us, thank goodness!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Funny. Works OK at home in IE8 but not at work in IE8. Doesn;t change the fact that the style is about 10 years behind the times.

Doesn't work on Firefox either.

Keith

Edit works on this computer with IE8, but is out of date in style, does not work on this computer with Firefox. (Using Win XP)

Does not work on my laptop using Win 7 and Firefox either

• RMweb Gold
That just means it's out of fashion. Another 10 years and it will be the latest trendy thing. Or 10 months.

Just please don't tell me I have to go back to National Health glasses though. They were never trendy.

• RMweb Premium

Just tried again (Monday Morning). After refreshing the tabs it now seems to work as intended in Firefox.

Still don't like it, clunky, illogical and a unused band down each side I cannot get rid of.

Definitely a poor job.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I've just had my first look at it (I only visit occasionally nowadays) and I'm sorry to say that if this is the 'finished version' I am finished with it; poor layout, wasted space and lousy to navigate. A great shame really as it really was a good introductory site with some excellent contributors and calm leadership from Pat; I get the immediate impression that is is now almost a sort of sales site?

Archived