Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

Welcome to some weathering issues!

If my memory is correct, I read that 9642 had a clean up for the driving experience special.

The photo shows the BR crest nice and bright and white paint everywhere: smokebox no., 81C shed plate. smokebox door hinges, cab no., and one lamp whiter than the other, and reasonably black side tanks and cab, certainly compared with the rest go it.  Even the smokebox door looks as though a rag has been applied to it.

03/03/1963 - Southall.

A really informative view, this, of the brick building (left), signal box, signal by the footbridge, ground signal in the foreground, track layout including catch points (right), and length of walkway to the steps down to the depot. Not a view you usually see.  I love it!  And it always amazes me how long the walk to the steps was.  Since I do not remember the footbridge from my daily commuting days way back, when I had the opportunity to get to know it, so to speak,  :fool_mini:   I still feel gutted that it had already been removed by the time I got to see it in 2016.  Yes, I know...Didcot nicked saved some of it!   And it does not look like I will get to see that bit, this year, now, either...poop!

As to my weathered model, after its express freight runs in and out of Uxbridge, the crest will need cleaning up and the paintbrushes brought out to complete the look.  I will have to get the shed staff on it!

IMG_0916a.jpeg.e0b719d0c74621ce5de130e9565a6c26.jpeg

IMG_0917a.jpg.09f37b8912b998bb08a7485186ac7332.jpg

Then get them to add the accessories...lamp irons,* headlamps, shed plate, cab power and weight disc ('C' on yellow), firing irons, and cab crew, etc, not to mention the headboard!  Someone is going to be busy! (Me!)

*Who's lamp irons should I use?

And which headlamps would suit best? 

Modelu has the GWR ones but finishing them off looks a bit fiddly!  I don't fancy crawling around the floor looking for a tiny dropped lens!

DCC Concepts sells working lamps  :yahoo: but not of the GWR/BR(W) type...(yet?). Poop!  :cry:

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
Images not displaying
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Polly try a little T Cut on a cotton wool bud to clean up the areas you need. I take it this has been spray weathered? Don't press too hard on the cotton wool bud as it should only be a very thin film of paint (another reason I use inks and powders instead of paint!).

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Barry.  That is a great help.  Yes, the loco is spray weathered.  In its present condition I would be really happy with it for its goods deliveries as in the Uxbridge photo of it.  For the ICRS 'Special' I should have looked at the details more closely before I gave it to Steve.  My fault!  You live and learn! :mosking:

Polly

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

To continue with the ICRS headboard.

I printed it out at 9mm width and it maybe a tad too big.

The yellow/orange lettering and headboard border were a bit too pale so I have darkened them.

Just got to have another go at printing it out.

Cutting out the oval smoothly could be a problem but I reckon if I stick it on thin plasticard I may be able to rub down any rough edges with a nail file.

Hopefully, I will have something to report later.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

ICRS Headboard Test 2

9mm headboard (with lettering and border modified and darkened)  was printed out.

The roughly cut headboard is blutacked in position - lamp irons needed!

IMG_0955.JPG.f70a12c097151824ecddeab460c1dfc8.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG.cee4fe6ee90cabd6f61bb903d6c3e03c.JPG

Plasticard found...

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Headboard Test 3

Yesterday, I used PVA glue to stick the paper headboard onto plasticard after roughing it up with some sandpaper.  As the combination had a tendency to bend round (as expected), I placed a weighted book on top of it hoping it will remain flat when dry and cut out.  If not, I might try sticking a sheet of paper behind it at the same time, though this may make it too thick - but practicalities, eh?

Talking of practicalities: the letters ICRS are slightly larger than, perhaps, they should be because the headboard is reduced in size so much.  What comes with trial and error! 

Will post the trial headboard, later, just hoping it will be presentable.  If not, we can all have a good laugh/cry!

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Onward with ICRS headboard.

First photo: taken after cutting round the oval.  Not quite in focus, though!

IMG_0976a.jpeg.4e2ce98bcbc828621335ef565439362e.jpeg

Third photo: 2nd filing with fine side of nail file (board, not metal, type).

IMG_0978a.jpeg.72d9bc57cb765be2456bba93cbc803c5.jpeg

So as not to bore you with the long-winded process of file a bit off the headboard and take photo x 12, here is the last photo.

IMG_1004a.jpeg.0f910caf0fe13f8c9e09dbc63615ddb3.jpeg

With all the handling, some of the ink has lifted so the next task is to see if it can cope with a coat of varnish.

If yes, I will do the whole thing again but varnish it before I do the filing.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

I have made two new headboards, one 9mm and the other 8mm width.  The larger headboard looks a bit too big but it is difficult to tell from a photo, especially when it is taken at an angle.

They have had several coats of varnish and I am now waiting for the varnish to harden.  

The question is:

How long should I wait (days/a week?) for the varnish to be strong/hard enough for me to file the edges down, i.e., handle it a lot, bearing in mind its size?

Now for the tricky bit, kitting the headboard out to fit on lamp irons so that it can be moved from one end of the loco to the other.  The headboard was on the smokebox coming towards Southall, and on the bunker going towards Brentford.  I should really model that.

Test 1

Using the old paper headboard.

First an over scale strip of scrap plasticard to make the bracket - at this stage I just want to know if this will work.

IMG_1014a.JPG.e3c7bf0ec6f3ed24b5c9516cdb1e8304.JPG

And another piece to make a slot for the rear of the headboard.

IMG_1018a.jpeg.1d075d4c6bf9768c723e0768b112973a.jpeg

IMG_1020a.jpeg.55e70fa860858ac96d6ce9ce05e52782.jpeg

Then, substitute a 26/6 staple - that I just happened to have lying around in a cupboard!

IMG_1022a.jpeg.486f685945d8012fddf5458fa4155f63.jpeg

IMG_1025a.jpeg.8d72e2709f7cf813d6875bc7e9112ed3.jpeg

It seems to work - just waiting for my lamps to arrive...

In the meantime, thanks for the idea go to: 2512silverfox and following posts on here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17651-4mm-lamp-irons-how-do-you-do-yours/&do=findComment&comment=168107

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Waiting for the varnish to cure - at least 24 hours I picked up somewhere.  Might leave it another day.  Might not!

I was wondering how I should deal with the back of the headboard.  What was it made of, for instance?

Here is a clue:

03/03/1963 - Southall, Middlesex.

Zoom in and it is shiny.  Black gloss paint?  I will forget the gloss bit as it will be hardly noticeable that small! A coat of (toned down) black ink will give it a suitable look, if needed.

Slot box made of wood?  It is quite chunky.

That should be easy enough to replicate.

This is what makes these "Specials" so helpful - you get more than one photo with so many more aspects and all on the same day - not even spread out over decades!

What interests me on the side tank, which is very clear with this view, is the dark square to the right of the crest.

Anyone any ideas?

An aborted attempt at a deep clean?

Someone has removed some information or graffiti?

A later example of the latter, with what looks like "BEHAVE" rubbed off and "HAVE" (in chalk?) is on the same tank in 1964.

Do I have a naughty loco/crew/'spotters on my hands?

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/5700-class-0-6-0pt/hA88AB4C6#ha88ab4c6

Hope you can help with some of my questions.

EDIT:  Another thing that became clear with this side view, 9642 had 3 lamp brackets on the side not 2 as did other pannier tanks.   Interesting to see that GWR head lamps came with removable red shades for use as a tail lamp, thus the loco would carry 3 lamps, 2 headlamps and a tail lamp.  So much info to remember! 

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And here it is.

1298228821_9642detailscreenshot.png.6a2f2ec14142ff8063a61265798b6651.png

Detail from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7649285934

Northroader and Ade,  I was not sure, when I first saw it, that the initials would have shown up after so long.* Happy to have confirmation.

Thanks.

It is good to have its original (1946) identity showing through.

EDIT * Or maybe it would - I am more used to seeing such things as names showing through on ex-private owner wagons. According to a few ex-GWR/BR(W) authors, 81C kept things clean, so I guess it all rubs off in the end, not to mention the action of the sun, wind, rain, dirt...working on it!

EDIT 2. Adjacent to the "R", it looks like there is also another outline of the late crest.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Further to the above.

8751 stands at Old Oak Common, the letters "G W R" clearly showing in March 1961:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1942.html (bottom of the page).

How many times I have been on that page!

I must pay more attention.

I must pay...

I must...

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Time to have a look at Headboard 2

Yesterday, I took the plunge and cut out the larger (9mm) mounted headboard, oversized or not, as I feel the 8mm may be a tad too small.  We will see.

To protect the headboard from too much handling, I held a piece of plasticard over the printed side while I took off the edges a little at a time, checking progress with a photo as previously.

I include 3 of the 18 photos I used to tell me how close to the orange border I was.  I used the images to see just how much I needed to bring off - lightly does it! - especially, the closer I got.  The headboard is smaller again than these images.  I also wore my new x4 magnification reading...er...hum...modelling (only!) glasses but it still took quite a long time...but, hey, I am not going anywhere for awhile...!!!

Ready for filing.

IMG_1037a.jpeg.c32c05b293b6383733ddb48c5e4fed8d.jpeg

Nearly there.

IMG_1055a.jpeg.4da9c28b1a404967c79bbeb637e6fd62.jpeg

Done.

IMG_1056a.jpeg.51e4c6df4ba18f18289445f49df4de8e.jpeg

Slot box for the back of the Headboard: Test 2

I am now in the process of making a new slot box for the rear of the headboard based on the photo of 9642, above, starting with a strip of plasticard.  Fiddly...but it might work...

Photos to come.

_____

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

To continue with Test 2 of the slot box.

First, the end of the strip of plasticard folded to size (approx!) and stuck with Gorilla superglue.

IMG_1058a.JPG.189eec37e5b0b6db4d404e042a67ddab.JPG

The slot box was cut off and glued onto the back of the headboard with Tacky glue so that I can remove it fairly easily.  It is a bit loose for a staple so it will need modifying if I decide to use them for brackets.

I found the safety pin a few days earlier while doing a tidy up!  It turned out to be a brilliant aid for gluing the tiny slot box to the headboard and holding them together while the glue set overnight.

IMG_1080a.JPG.e933d55569ebc647c74e131038f227f8.JPG

Finally, tested on a staple.

IMG_1085a.JPG.a1e31de58b0c12a3c0ccfb264cfbef9e.JPG

The job for today is to give the back of the headboard a coat of paint.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

Great news - my Modelu head and tail lamps arrived yesterday.  Excellent communication from Modelu keeping me up to date concerning delays in the order, both at their end and with delivery, due  to current circumstances.  

Next: order some lamp brackets.  I will have to be patient.

Now, back to the headboard.

While painting the back of the headboard, I knocked off the slot box (don't ask!) and 'lost' it - somewhere on the floor, I guess.  Now this tiny thing jumps like a kangaroo...it could be anywhere!  Not to worry, another one in progress, slightly narrower to take a staple. I might have to modify it or make yet another one for the brass brackets.  Gee, so fiddly!  But do I enjoy it?  :yes:

All for now.

Take care, keep safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Lamp test. 

IMG_1097.JPG.e1c51ca0e042a7048d8496efa976037d.JPG

Getting excited now.  Order to Brassmasters will go in the post today.  Just got to fill in the order form.

Just had a thought.  What were the base plates (underside) of the lamps like?  Were they painted/unpainted?  Prone to rust/made of brass?

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

'  morning all.

Lamp brackets should be here by the end of April so, in the meantime, I will concentrate on finishing the headboard and making a start on the headlamps.

Replacement for the headboard slot box.

The plasticard version was not good enough... er...hum...in other words...FAILED!  So, I am redesigning it, although I guessed I might have to and am not too disappointed.  Just another challenge!...or another day at the workbench kitchen table!

Lamp 1: This is different from the other 4 in the pack in that the chimney has vertical bars down it, rather than being smooth around the front.  Possibly a 3D misprint(?), I decided to use it as the test piece for painting and weathering: the two headlamps used on 9642 show bare metal through the paintwork, one lamp whiter than the other.

Any comments about the chimney detail, mentioned above, would be much appreciated as I have not come across/recollect seeing a lamp like this in my searches so far.

Cut from sprue and placed on staple.

IMG_1097a.JPG.907835dc51e8716d5f44bfabcad207a1.JPG

First coat: Winsor & Newton Titanium White acrylic paint mixed with water & Fairy Liquid dry brushed on.

IMG_1100a.JPG.ccb5dbde9543b656d914f7be03c54392.JPG

Second coat: thinly applied wet paint to get into the crevices.

Insert for the lens is left unpainted to take the glue.

IMG_1104a.jpeg.0eb569b2f1b9526b22f8c47429da1e53.jpeg

The base has since been sanded down to remove remnants of supporting feet.

More work on the lamp is earmarked for today.

Another point of interest.

The lens supplied is diamond like whereas it seems the GWR/BR(W) lens on 9642 looks dark browny red - see top of the page.

I am more than surprised and delighted that I have managed to keep this going - What self-isolation allows, eh! - and for your company.

Thanks for popping in.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

_______

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

Where you have left it unpainted for the glue could you paint it browny-red to give you the colour you need.  I know this means the lens is more likely to fall out but it may be worth a go.  (Browny red glue?  ;))

All the best, keep safe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That sound reasonable, Chris. Thanks.

Paint is easily added to PVA if the lens will stick with PVA glue.  I aways find PVA glue sticks to things you don't want it to!

Not sure about superglue.  It might be worth a try. I generally pour a small amount into a milk bottle top for easy use so it would be easy to add colour. I expect the paint might cancel out its adhesive properties though.

I will put a lens in front of its dark red packaging card, first, to see how/if the colour comes through.

Back later

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is the strip (sticky side up) of lenses that came with the lamps.

IMG_1132a.jpg.174da6fb77c59d6067177c1843b3c31b.jpg

The lenses, which are easily removed with the point of a pin/needle are transparent domes with a solid backing so painting the lamp itself will not work.

The lens took a coat of paint - Citadel Foundation Mechrite Red and Model Colour Chocolate Brown mix.

I managed (tricky!) to get the lens onto the lamp and it looked OK but it fell off before I could take a photo and a second attempt wiped the paint off.  What you see above is a second repaint job - not exactly precision work!

I will attempt to fit it again when the lamp is finished.

Off, now, for a stationary bike ride in the garden...

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

It was back to the slot box, yesterday, starting with a new design.

The idea of making it at the end of a long strip which is easily held while you shape, glue, cut out the tiny object was my starting point. But, instead of folding to form a box, I wondered if a layered approach might be better.

1036143939_DiagramSlottedboxforheadboard.png.56f30761ceeea49c604f26d467eb8c67.png

Step one: Cut a 12cm strip and cut into 2cm long strips.

Step two: Assemble the strips as in the diagram above to check thickness and size of hole.

Two strips in the centre made the slot wider for easier fitting over a staple and the whole thing stronger.

Step three: Glue the centre strips together and insert between the outer strips. 

IMG_1144.jpg.b953dc44c11938b819a6a22afe8e04fb.jpg

Step five: Glue and insert centre strip in the other end.

IMG_1148.jpg.f0ebe2c2e7bd9875ecd8c90d59e1a146.jpg

Step four: Make sure the strips are aligned, place between two A4 cutting boards with heavy plate on top. Leave to dry.

IMG_1149.JPG.8c06099bdac100491800c7073ab694e1.JPG

No. 822 is "Maid Marian", by the way!

Step five: It came apart! Re-glue with superglue.

Painting next...

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all and a very Happy Easter to you.

Working from photos, I attempted to make the headlamp off-white using Winsor & Newton acrylic Mixing White mixed with Citadel (Washes) Sepia and Model Colour Flat Yellow.  Where metal shows through the worn off paintwork I used Citadel Base Lead.  I was surprised it worked as I had hoped - not all my ventures have happy endings!

IMG_1168.JPG.3fbd5856f60e32e6c0bd294cce9118b8.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG.0aca5db2608bf8d1be39a2416fec9c35.JPG

The pictures are much enlarged, of course!

Now for the lens.  A superglue job using the point of a pin.

IMG_1173.JPG.546d5bf520337141034ed55d70da5219.JPG

And, finally, at least until the lamp brackets arrive, standing on the loco.

IMG_1187a.jpeg.6971484ba783676d5df9b9bffe928c1c.jpeg

That shed plate (from its former ID of 4680, allocated Worcester) has got to go!  81C please!

Thanks for Poop! Pooping in.

_______

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 6