Just when did train travel become such an ordeal?

I travel quite a bit on Merseyrail, Virgin WC, Transpennine, East Midlands and (occasionally) Northern and in general I'd say that train travel is okay, or maybe a little better. The only journey I really don't enjoy is travelling back from Newcastle. I'd get the first train from Newcastle to York, then see how things stood when I got there. The section between York and Huddersfield was absolute murder from about 16:00 until 19:00.

Also, I seem to recall that the idea of seats not lining up with windows was introduced on the Mark 3, which is now so fondly regarded by all and sundry (never been that big a fan myself - I always preferred a Mk. 2, although whether I still would if I had to travel in one today, who knows?)

Eh? My reply was to the effect that people look back through Rose-Tinted Glasses in that the old stuff was overrated and still is (apart from Maunsel (sic) coaches apparently).

Please do not put words in my mouth. You're the only person I know on here that keeps count of post count, it counts for nothing... :drag:

Best, Pete.

Edit In reply to post No.79

• RMweb Gold

Cheap is not a word I would use with the standard open ticket for my daily journey costing £75 return standard class or £125 first class for a return journey of 250 miles. London/York is an eye watering £149 return (first class is £253).

Quite a few years back when I was working at St Marys hospital in London, and commuting from the Wirral each week, down Sunday, back Friday but never sure when so an open return was needed, the ticket was £192, second class and I frequently had to stand on the way back, until Crewe at least.

Before ticket barriers and TTI were introduced on the Merseyrail, which stopped a lot of the trouble makers as they were unticketed, Saturday night travel could be "entertaining"

Also, I seem to recall that the idea of seats not lining up with windows was introduced on the Mark 3, which is now so fondly regarded by all and sundry (never been that big a fan myself - I always preferred a Mk. 2, although whether I still would if I had to travel in one today, who knows?)

Very true, and if I remember rightly was criticised for it frequently in "modern railways" and the like

Eh? My reply was to the effect that people look back through Rose-Tinted Glasses in that the old stuff was overrated and still is (apart from Maunsel (sic) coaches apparently).

Please do not put words in my mouth. You're the only person I know on here that keeps count of post count, it counts for nothing... :drag:

Best, Pete.

Edit In reply to post No.79

Now now, calm down it was only a gentle joke referring to a past thread which wasn't even yours!!!

The amount of replies indicates that it's an topic many people want to discuss, some of whom agree with me, hence " I'm not alone"

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all, yours is one post out of 80, whoops there I go again being obsessed with posts! I must see someone about that.

Obviously I'm obsessed with post count that's why I've racked up a massive 200 in three years of posting on RMweb!

• RMweb Gold

I'll take a 16 ton mineral wagon over an Electrostar 376 any day. Seats (the few there are) designed by Chiropractors to ensure as much repeat business as possible. Non existent ventilation. Designed for 10-15 min maximum trips with constant passenger turnover. Totally wrong for the services they are deployed on. High failure rates on the pocket doors leading to carriages being frequently locked out of service. Lack of bogie yaw dampeners which are fitted to all other Electrostars. This makes arrival at London Bridge a memorable experience for those standing who didn't manage to get their hands on one of the few inadequate handrails. At least the toilets don't stink. Probably because there aren't any. That will explain the man acting strange in the vestibule on the 23:32 CHX to Dartford service.

Ah.. Forgot that yourvElectrostars are not as good as yours!,!

Even in the 2+ 2 electrostar I am currently sitting, in the person next to me wants my space to one his paper ad he isn't apply that some one is sitting next to him!

Train travel for my wife became an ordeal from winter 1982 when she was on a train from Birmingham to Plymouth with our children (she was going to visit her sister in Plymouth).

Her 'mistake' was to have chosen a seat in the first carriage, which was ok until Temple Meads. Suddenly, she recounted, a group of p1ssed up idiots barged into the coach, proceeded to shout at everyone already seated there, and opened most of the toplight windows, despite the fact that it was a cold February day.

The journey from Bristol to Taunton was accompanied by said w@nkers shouting obscenities out of every available window at high volume, and resulted in her vowing never to travel by train again.

Apparently, behaviour such as this is still counted as 'heroic enthusiast enjoyment' by the mentally retarded section of the hobby, and several websites seem to be set up to applaud their nostalgia.

My wife's main 'error' was to be sitting in a train on which a steam heat class 45 was added to the front at Bristol.

• RMweb Premium

And as if by magic we drift into the territory covered by the adjacent 'people who give enthusiasts a bad name thread'. I really cannot stand the extremist bashers who bellow, drink like fishes and lean out of windows windmilling their arms like morons, how none of these pratts have not been beheaded by a bridge parapet yet I fail to understand.

• RMweb Gold

And as if by magic we drift into the territory covered by the adjacent 'people who give enthusiasts a bad name thread'. I really cannot stand the extremist bashers who bellow, drink like fishes and lean out of windows windmilling their arms like morons, how none of these pratts have not been beheaded by a bridge parapet yet I fail to understand.

They have, Conway tunnel in the early 1980s and probably others

Archived