RMweb

The human side of the railway...

A bit of human interest I meant to post the other day - I was working 6Y55 down at Wembley over the weekend and chatting with my soon to retire Reading based mate Dave Jackson, he mentioned that he'd been in touch with a now retired ex-Bristol man called Ian Spencer who was the secondman on the Toton - Severn Tunnel Junction freight train which derailed at Winchcombe in August '76, effectively closing the Stratford - Cheltenham line for good. Amazing what you find out over a cuppa and a chinwag!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

Old Oak, 1985, amongst those on the footplate are 81A stalwarts Dickie Bedford, Dennis Mansaull and Peter Keep, photo c/o Denis Lewis...

post-7638-0-49225500-1536844326_thumb.jpg

Another 81A man, 'Poacher' Davis, photo c/o Des Wright...

post-7638-0-99359100-1536844413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Old Oak, 1985, amongst those on the footplate are 81A stalwarts Dickie Bedford, Dennis Mansaull and Peter Keep, photo c/o Denis Lewis...

attachicon.gifGW 150 OLD OAK.jpg

Another 81A man, 'Poacher' Davis, photo c/o Des Wright...

attachicon.gifFB Poacher Davis by Des Wright.jpg

It looks like Dick Bedford is explaining that the tenders were not like this when he worked on them in the past (anyone who knows him will understand that ;) )

Oh fully understand your comment Mike, Dickie's 'railway CV' would make the weapons of mass destruction enquiry seem like the gospel in comparison!! If he told me he'd just made a fresh pot of tea I'd question the validity of his statement...  ;)

Another from the SVR.

That's veteran Old Oak / Hydraulic man Chris 'I don't do the internet' Guntripp standing next to 'Courier'  ;)

Photo c/o Nigel Kendall... Fireman Ron Whittaker and Nine Elms Driver Charlie 'Happy' Gordon on the Bournemouth Belle, 23rd May 1965...

post-7638-0-31700600-1537877497_thumb.jpg

Photo c/o Derek Payne... Derek with his Guard Tony Wilson at Ilkley in 1982...

post-7638-0-93847800-1537877586_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

That's veteran Old Oak / Hydraulic man Chris 'I don't do the internet' Guntripp standing next to 'Courier'  ;)

Photo c/o Nigel Kendall... Fireman Ron Whittaker and Nine Elms Driver Charlie 'Happy' Gordon on the Bournemouth Belle, 23rd May 1965...

attachicon.gifFB c.o Nigel Kendall BM Fireman Ronald Whittaker & 9 Elms Dvr Charlie Happy Gordon 230565 Belle.jpg

Photo c/o Derek Payne... Derek with his Guard Tony Wilson at Ilkley in 1982...

attachicon.gifFB DEREK PAYNE & TONY WILSON Ilkley 1982.jpg

Nah, that's Harry Worth in orange trousers, isn't it?  

Now that dates me!!!

• Like 5

attachicon.gifFB c.o Nigel Kendall BM Fireman Ronald Whittaker & 9 Elms Dvr Charlie Happy Gordon 230565 Belle.jpg

Ron Whittaker later became a long-standing town councillor and later, Mayor of Bournemouth. He was always a kind chap whenever I contacted him

when I worked for the Council.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I know you said "Get the class 08 from the shed, but we thought this 08 would be more fun."

post-414-0-78029600-1538659800_thumb.jpg

50008 positioning stock before an evening photo shoot on the 3rd October 2018 and the start of the Class 50 Golden Jubilee event at the Severn Valley Railway.

• Like 5

A collection of Old Oak 'faces', c/o Albert Abear…

Bert Southgate, Charlie Shute, Dennis Mansell and (in the cab) Eric Webb...

post-7638-0-12129900-1538940599_thumb.jpg

Bert Hunt and Don King...

post-7638-0-60500100-1538940661_thumb.jpg

Dennis Mansell again with Driver Alec Wallace...

post-7638-0-99021100-1538940692_thumb.jpg

Loco Foreman George Coles...

post-7638-0-06622000-1538940737_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Having seen various pictures of crew with cigarettes and pipes etc., but no cigars that I recall, when was smoking banned in cabs? [i assume cabs are a no smoking zone?] And prior to the ban, where was the ashtray located? The floor?

• Like 1

Having seen various pictures of crew with cigarettes and pipes etc., but no cigars that I recall, when was smoking banned in cabs? [i assume cabs are a no smoking zone?] And prior to the ban, where was the ashtray located? The floor?

The stink in the cab of the HST I took over this morning says otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

A collection of Old Oak 'faces', c/o Albert Abear…

Bert Southgate, Charlie Shute, Dennis Mansell and (in the cab) Eric Webb...

attachicon.gifFBAA Bert Southgate Charlie Shute Dennis Mansell Eric Webb.jpg

Bert Hunt and Don King...

attachicon.gifFBAA BERT HUNT & DON KING OOC.jpg

Dennis Mansell again with Driver Alec Wallace...

attachicon.gifFBAA DM & ALEC WALLACE.jpg

Loco Foreman George Coles...

attachicon.gifFBAA LOCO FOREMAN OOC George Coles.jpg

Somewhere I have a certificate signed by Eric Webb passing me out to drive 350s (08s to younger readers) on preserved/heritage type railways. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having connected the water hose, the driver fettles his steed. 568 was erected 30.9.1910 by Richard Hartmann. A Saxon IVk, 0-4-4-0 she is here at Steinbach, Saxony, ready to rejoin her train and set off for Jöhstadt, only a couple of miles from the Czech Republic. 

post-4295-0-71217500-1539451859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 7