The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

I agree he looks a right troublemaker from the way he looks furtively around to see if anyones spotted him. :jester:

Probably because he was intent on seeing what buttons he could press when he got inside - allegedly....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple I've posted before on other threads but they fit ths one too.

A 'Farewell To Steam' - the official WR excursion having arrived at Bristol TM back in 1967 with Inspector Jack Hancock leaning out of the cab

post-6859-0-40321200-1541418218_thumb.jpg

Mrs Stationmaster cabbing a 'Castle' at OO Common open day in 1981 and cheery looking Inspector Ernie Stewart making sure that he got in the picture

post-6859-0-06369200-1541418362_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Not a good 12hrs for the Sussex Route (NR). One workforce fatality to someone engaged in setting up a possession and then two separate near miss incidents this following morning. A salutatory reminder that being a track worker is an inherently dangerous occupation despite all the improvements in safety over the years. One simple mistake is all it takes....

I have to inform you of the very sad news that one of our colleagues ­- a member of a possession delivery team employed by one of our contracting companies – has suffered a fatal accident while working for South East route.

The worker was struck by a train at Stoats Nest junction, between Purley and Coulsdon, at around 00.30 this morning.

After the initial on-site investigation the circumstances are still currently unexplained but, as you would expect, BTP, ORR and the Rail Accident Investigation Branch will be carrying out a full investigation.

The worker’s immediate family have been informed but BTP are not yet releasing any further details of his identity.

Naturally our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

It’s healthy to talk, so remember that Validium, our employee support service, is available 24 hours a day. If you need to speak to someone please contact them on #### ### ####.

John Halsall

Managing Director

South East Route

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

Here's a linesman at Buxton on 27th September 1973.

buxton_signal_27_9_1973.jpg

Martin.

Note that the route is set, the signal is off, and I am imagining a train creeping up on those two chaps who are paying no attention to incoming traffic and standing on the sleeper ends..........

• Like 2

Volunteers rounding up some lost young cows on the lineside near Staverton Bridge on November 2nd 2018. The crew of 25185 look on, amused!

NR

02111825182cowsweb.jpg

The cows are probably jealous of the 'horns' on the diesel........

Running for cover..... :onthequiet:

• RMweb Gold

Note that the route is set, the signal is off, and I am imagining a train creeping up on those two chaps who are paying no attention to incoming traffic and standing on the sleeper ends..........

Hi Viz was still a relatively new thing when I worked on the railway in the 70s, and, with the full yellow ends, indubitably saved many lives, but some drivers reckoned that wearing it made some of those wearing it less alert because they expected the drivers to be able to see them; I have seen a few close calls but, fortunately, nothing worse than that.  Coasting dmus, which is pretty much what I'd be expecting to hove into view at Buxton, were particularly 'stealth capable', and if they came at you from downwind...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Viz was still a relatively new thing when I worked on the railway in the 70s, and, with the full yellow ends, indubitably saved many lives, but some drivers reckoned that wearing it made some of those wearing it less alert because they expected the drivers to be able to see them; I have seen a few close calls but, fortunately, nothing worse than that.  Coasting dmus, which is pretty much what I'd be expecting to hove into view at Buxton, were particularly 'stealth capable', and if they came at you from downwind...

An old railwayman, sadly no longer with us, told me that even steam locomotives could adopt stealth mode.

• RMweb Gold

They did however live to see another day:

buxton_signal2_27_9_1973_1024x660.jpg

Martin.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

An old railwayman, sadly no longer with us, told me that even steam locomotives could adopt stealth mode.

A steam loco in good mechanical order with steam shut off and not lifting it's safety valves is more or less silent, even compared to a dmu with engines ticking over.  This is why they are fitted with whistles, and originally the drivers were given hunting horns to warn of their approach.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you’re implying negligence on the part of these men, I think you’re being a bit harsh. This photo only captures a fraction of a second. They may well have known there was a train approaching; they may have already seen the signal was off, perhaps they heard it being pulled off, or maybe they could even hear the train coming already. We can’t deduce any of that from the picture, but neither can we discount it. In any case, an approaching train wouldn’t have been going that fast judging by the length of the points, and this is a terminus station as well, facts which would have been known to the men.

Edited by Western Aviator

Hopefully the third person, that is standing between the rails facing the oncoming movement, would have said something...

• Like 1

There is also no way of telling from that photograph whether or not there is look out - maybe standing on the platform next to the photographer

• RMweb Gold

There is also no way of telling from that photograph whether or not there is look out - maybe standing on the platform next to the photographer

I don't recall anyone standing next to me. But I'm fairly sure I would have shouted out if I had seen any danger.

1973 is a long time ago to remember, but I think I recall a toot on the horn from the DMU, the men moving aside without any panic, and a cheery wave from the driver as it passed. It was approaching the platform over a crossover, so moving quite slow.

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Also, presumably, the driver would have sounded his horn at the two chaps in the middle-centre of the photo, giving the two chaps closest to the camera advanced warning of the trains approach.

Edit. Martin, you beat me to it. Thanks for remembering that detail.

Edited by iands
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If that crossover was subject to the standard LMR speed for such a move at that time it would have been 15mph. It looks as if rationalisation work was in progress so probably plenty of other people around and the driver on the horn well back from the workers in the picture.

• Like 2

Just read a question about Wakefield Kirkgate, this reminded me of waiting in the messroom there for the return Ellesmere port gas tanks. This was an out and back evening turn for a Manchester Victoria crew and required a guard,for the small gang of freight guards at Vic this was almost their second home. To the extent that 2 played in the darts team at the pub just outside the station, one of the regular drivers used to disappear into the tower block nearby for a bit of ex marital ..........! Oh well happy times was had by all, and a decent curry.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Why did guards always have to join darts teams at distant locations? We had one at thornaby that was on a darts team there too!

I remember being in that mess room in he middle of the night there and a mate of mine from tinsley was going to be in there around the same time

There was an old dumb waiter in there from its days as a refreshment room.

I went down in the old cellar which was near the locker room and got myself up the shaft with the old hatch slightly open

I heard a driver come in which I thought was my mate so started howling/ moaning and banging as I lifted the hatch only to see an old Ellesmere port driver running out of the mess room scared shitless !!

I remember hitting some cows on the single line section of the Coalville line near Desford, first thing the driver did was head for the pub. Well pubs have phones don't they, he gave me the 10p to ring, whilst he oraganised something to calm the nervses.

• Like 5

I remember hitting some cows on the single line section of the Coalville line near Desford, first thing the driver did was head for the pub. Well pubs have phones don't they, he gave me the 10p to ring, whilst he oraganised something to calm the nervses.

About ten years ago a mate of mine was passing over Desford level crossing with a rake of Bardon Hill bound empties, he was a bout half way over it when a nutter in a transit sized van thought it would be a grand idea to overtake the three cars waiting patiently at the crossing, drive round the barrier and plough into the side of a moving train. Well, it takes all sorts doesn't it... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Steak on the pub menu? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

If you’re implying negligence on the part of these men, I think you’re being a bit harsh. This photo only captures a fraction of a second. They may well have known there was a train approaching; they may have already seen the signal was off, perhaps they heard it being pulled off, or maybe they could even hear the train coming already. We can’t deduce any of that from the picture, but neither can we discount it. In any case, an approaching train wouldn’t have been going that fast judging by the length of the points, and this is a terminus station as well, facts which would have been known to the men.

And ignores the existence of what looks remarkably like a Lookoutman in the background - who appears in a slightly different place in the second picture.

Whenever i was training people I always used to tell them that an HV vest was the railway equivalent of a bullet proof vest and that if a train hit you while you were wearing one it would bounce off.  This would of course provoke the usual 'don't talk daft' response to which I replied - all you need to do is look at some of the idiots out there, they clearly believe these vests really are that good - just don't get the same idea.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff, Mike; this is exactly the sort of comment that stays in the mind long after the training course is over and forgotten.  A similar one that is still in mine was from the Guard's Inspector who passed me out or Rules; i've long forgotten his name, but the comment that I should 'never forget that every one of these rules was originally found lying in the bottom of a bucket of blood' still resonates...

• Like 6

About ten years ago a mate of mine was passing over Desford level crossing with a rake of Bardon Hill bound empties, he was a bout half way over it when a nutter in a transit sized van thought it would be a grand idea to overtake the three cars waiting patiently at the crossing, drive round the barrier and plough into the side of a moving train. Well, it takes all sorts doesn't it... 

Hi Rugd,

I remember seeing the remains of a concrete half barrier support and a Morris Marina estate car after it had been punted 80 or so yards into a field after being struck by a class 142 while pulling a similar stunt to your transit type van story. We arrived only minutes after it had happened on our bicycles, not pretty !

Gibbo.