The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Bill Reid : Aberdeen in the early days of the NBL D61xxs...

D61XXBILLREIDPICABERDEENforFraserburgh.jpg.d53387ba590decf6c0cb00dff4c9d79c.jpg

Bill had a wonderful story to tell of the day he was sent to Inverurie Works to get an ex-works engine ready to depart.  it was the usua practice to send a Fireman up to the works to do this but Bill had never had the job previously.  So he was amazed to find when he got there that that the engine he had to 'get ready' was steam powered and not a diesel - and he had never worked on a steam job prior to that day.

Fortunately the works staff were happy to explain to him what he had to do and I think all was well in the end but I'm fairly sure from what he told me many years ago that it was the only steam turn he ever worked!.

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

That last picture is timeless 

I see an anonymous-design modern signal box, CCTV camera and picnic bench which are rather jarring.

Edited by 4069
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 4069 said:

I see an anonymous-design modern signal box, CCTV camera and picnic bench which are rather jarring.

Beauty is in the eye of...... Heritage railways do their best to recreate a lost past. I'm sorry if this doesn't meet your fidelity standards. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, 4069 said:

52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Beauty is in the eye of...... Heritage railways do their best to recreate a lost past. I'm sorry if this doesn't meet your fidelity standards. 

I hadn't really noticed them until they were pointed out.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm sure @4069 will answer for himself but the picnic bench, in particular, stops the photo being "timeless" IMHO.

That doesn't stop it being a lovely picture though.

Heritage railways do have to walk a fine line between authenticity and practicability. Some, including this one, achieve it better than others.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 4069 said:

Looks like the new non standard box built at Over Junction when the new bridge over the Severn was constructed  on a different alignment . Im sure i've read (the Over Jn box design ) was something to do with Gloucestershire county council and planning permission

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stoke West said:

Looks like the new non standard box built at Over Junction when the new bridge over the Severn was constructed  on a different alignment . Im sure i've read (the Over Jn box design ) was something to do with Gloucestershire county council and planning permission

This is a problem facing all heritage lines, they have to comply with modern standards of safety and hygiene as well as building regulations.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 4069 said:

There's nothing wrong with what the GWSR have done at Cheltenham Racecourse. My point was about the claim for the picture, not the scene itself.

Sorry I just meant the setting, should have looked harder at everything first before commenting 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2023 at 20:38, 4069 said:

The signal box did it for me - very clearly not original GWR.  

But what about the engine's exhaust?  Many a Shedmaster would have a fit if he saw something like that although I have got one of my own photos of a 'Modified Hall' making a distinctly mucky display of exhaust on a banana train on the Up Goods at Reading.  

But nothing like the fierce, fire dragging, blast displayed by 7903 in the photo posted above which looked am lmpsot like someone doing a small coal and dust 'special' for the photographer.

6988-adj.jpg.1e0f991773982ef878e92bbe3e5cf436.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But what about the engine's exhaust?  Many a Shedmaster would have a fit if he saw something like that although I have got one of my own photos of a 'Modified Hall' making a distinctly mucky display of exhaust on a banana train on the Up Goods at Reading.  

But nothing like the fierce, fire dragging, blast displayed by 7903 in the photo posted above which looked am lmpsot like someone doing a small coal and dust 'special' for the photographer.

Unfortunately, what happened on the big railway back in the day and what happens in preservation don't always gel. I remember when 2968 visited another (best remain anonymous) railway and I was the owner's rep on it. I noticed that the safety valves were more or less permanently blowing off. I mentioned this to the driver, whose exact words were, "Oh, we don't worry about that sort of thing!" My thoughts were along the lines of, "Well, it's your coal bill."

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

Unfortunately, what happened on the big railway back in the day and what happens in preservation don't always gel. I remember when 2968 visited another (best remain anonymous) railway and I was the owner's rep on it. I noticed that the safety valves were more or less permanently blowing off. I mentioned this to the driver, whose exact words were, "Oh, we don't worry about that sort of thing!" My thoughts were along the lines of, "Well, it's your coal bill."

That's poor enginmanship, I do wonder how many of today's footplate crew have studied the BR Enginmans hand book and read footplate books to see how to run an efficient loco saving on coal and water, adjusting the secondary air flow with the dampers and the firehole door makes a massive difference.

Firing a little and often also means having a nicely run down fire to dispose off at the end of the day as well - my record on the SDR was 12 shovels from Errol Lonsdale to chuck out, pressure gauge just on the line all day, safety valves never lifted all day, and never short of steam - best driver as well - Dave Knowling - helps

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

On 26/08/2023 at 16:33, LMS2968 said:

Is this the same railway that that thought it was a good idea to run it without taking the handbrake off on its tender? 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1