Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Flying micro layout

• RMweb Gold

OK, I know that if I had a brain I'd be dangerous. However, I was on a plane last week and got to thinking - what kind of layout could you build that would be allowed on as cabin baggage to play with by the pool on holiday, or in your hotel room on a business trip.

The maximum dimensions for cabin baggage are 55 x 40 x 20 cm

I wonder Andy if you might consider this for a future RM Web Challenge?

You could give extra points for people sending in photos of themselves operating the layout in exotic locations, or for grumpy diatribes about trouble getting through security or being refused carriage by suspicious airlines.

I initially though that N gauge would be the way to go. then I thought if you used the 40 cm as height rather than width you could get an extra fold in, allowing cassette fiddleyards as well as a 110cm visible scene.

Remember any stock will need to be carried inside the folded layout, as will any tools and the control systems will need to be integral.

Here's my first attempt:

post-12721-0-96009600-1344981958_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting...

I'm sure Pete (bcnPete) originally wanted his Coombe Junction-Moorswater 2mm layout to be transportable as airline baggage, but checked into the hold not cabin.

Stu (stubby47) made a layout in a rucksack for the Taunton RMweb members day. There was some footage of it on the BRM video of the event. - admittedly it was a kiddies plastic roundy-roundy, but it worked! ;) Bit short of actual play value though....

• RMweb Gold

You could give extra points for people sending in photos of themselves operating the layout in exotic locations, or for grumpy diatribes about trouble getting through security or being refused carriage by suspicious airlines.

A top award, surely, for evidence of undertaking shunting moves at 39,000 feet!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting...

I'm sure Pete (bcnPete) originally wanted his Coombe Junction-Moorswater 2mm layout to be transportable as airline baggage, but checked into the hold not cabin.

Stu (stubby47) made a layout in a rucksack for the Taunton RMweb members day. There was some footage of it on the BRM video of the event. - admittedly it was a kiddies plastic roundy-roundy, but it worked! ;) Bit short of actual play value though....

I was going to mention Pete's layout too - I had completely forgotten about the rucksack layout ( that video nightmare...) but it has great play value ! (Watch the train do two loops, wind the loco, watch the train do two loops...)

I was hoping to use N gauge and a small battery pack, so it would go round as I carried it - maybe for next year ?)

Edit : Colin, it's a great idea !

• RMweb Gold

I was going to mention Pete's layout too

Thanks for the mention fellas...I was going to mention Stu, David (Kylestrome) and Shortliner but that's all been covered now!

Spot on Rich - my original CJM idea was to fly the whole layout back using 'musical instrument' type flight cases which was aborted due to cost, however my first model of Kyle (before the recent makeover) has been flown to the UK and back in my hand luggage and now I am starting my next one, Paddock Wood, which will hopefully build upon lessons learnt.

Great idea for a future challenge Colin...the fun bit at security for me was not the layout...but the controller with all the wires...:D

That reminds me of a caravan holiday as a teenager, wondering if I could build a layout to fit in one of the overhead lockers. Doodling the ideas at least kept me occupied the rest of the holiday. The layout did eventually get built - albeit to take to university rather than on holiday. It had two boards about 15" by 6", with back and end scenes about 6" high, one board inverted and bolted over the other. I later added a lighting box for the top, which folded up, and inside had space for a removable fiddle yard and the controller.

DSC04928.JPG

Even with the lighting box, and a transformer and some stock, I reckon it would fit in hand luggage.

DSC04931.JPG

Mind you I also have a shoe-box layout and a box-file layout that could qualify, but this one was designed to travel...

• RMweb Gold

How about an Nn3 Pizza? This has travelled to the US twice and once to Paris via Eurostar. The case was custom built by a friend of mine who has a company producing flight cases. It's within the approved cabin baggage dimensions but I have to pretend it's lighter than it really is ... :whistle:

With a battery controller, it could be operated in flight but adding a battery to the whole ensemble might just give airport security a fit of the vapours. Flying back from Boston on the 1st anniversary of the World Trade Centre attacks, it was given a very thorough (but respectful) checkover by TSA staff.

The layout is built on a 400mm dia MDF disc, which for transit, is very firmly bolted into the case with a 8mm roofing bolt. Having the case has been very useful as it provides a safe place to store the layout when not in use.

Mark

post-7249-0-75729000-1345534615_thumb.jpg

My Royston Vasey was designed so it could be taken to shows when I was unable to drive due to a medical condition. It's a bit large for aircraft use but was taken to the Workington show a couple of years ago by bus and train. I was very pleased with the way it folded up to form a secure box. Pictures of it are here and here (see posts on March 5 2010, Nov 17 2009 and October 27, 2009)

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived