Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

Presumably by road, then. I suppose it's best to do it now before our busy season commences, otherwise we'll be one loco down. This may seem not a problem, but if it's like one weekend last spring/summer where 1450, 1501, 43106 and Sir Keith Park were all away visiting for galas then there's a dilemma.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably by road, then. I suppose it's best to do it now before our busy season commences, otherwise we'll be one loco down. This may seem not a problem, but if it's like one weekend last spring/summer where 1450, 1501, 43106 and Sir Keith Park were all away visiting for galas then there's a dilemma.

Yes. In terms of locos being away there is a lot of thought on what can be loaned out. 1450 is lovely but tends not to be used much, 1501 is limited to 6 so less used than it used to be, so it is only really 3106 and SKP which would have been used more. Then again this time last year we had the 28, 2 manors, TV all as larger engines in addition to those already mentioned (and the 45 as a small engine) giving the railway spare capacity.

We are on our third visit. The latest being a week stopping in a cabin overlooking the line near Highley. The line is run like a real railway. Good selection of stock and always something to see.

The time spent at Highley has lead to a little on-line research, especially the coal traffic. The site of the 'Engine House' was the sidings at the bottom of the incline from the long closed colliery. There are very few pictures of the freight operation in steam days. I think it would make a good choice for a 'roundy' layout. Short passenger trains and goods trains dropping off empties and collecting the loads.

Tonight we had a 15XX tank barking out of Highley on its way to Bridgenorth. The sharp exhaust and powerful whistle echoing off the hillsides. Quite evocative. In the quiet you can hear the trains a long way off, whistling for crossings etc. Reminded me of video clips I've seen of the Norfolk and Western mine runs, not quite as long, obviously, but of a similar theme.

Here is the North end of the sidings.

post-2484-0-52561400-1494446958_thumb.jpg

The South end, the entrance to what was the colliery sidings is hiding behind the water tower. Also seen is the small cattle dock and the lead into a short dead end siding that runs behind the box.

post-2484-0-92955100-1494447164_thumb.jpg

Yesterday evening there was a bonus, in that a special train terminated at Highley and the re-built Battle of Britain ran round its train, through the goods sidings. I have crudely edited out the Rudd wagons and the road rail machine. Not bad pictures from a phone.

post-2484-0-29541100-1494447260_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Had a great day out on the SVR last Tuesday (9th May). Despite having visited on various occasions over the years this was my first trip over the line. Weather was good too. SKP was being worked on at Bridgnorth but got a glimpse of Taw Valley at Kidderminster. Hauled by Bradley Manor and 43106 over the day. Saw Western Champion and Ballymoss running. Lovely beer at the Railwayman's Arms at Bridgnorth. A  lovely day out which I will long treasure. Thanks to all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Don't know how many trips I have done since being on the first public train back - cant be nearly 50 years ago surely?

Every trip different!

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Don't know how many trips I have done since being on the first public train back - cant be nearly 50 years ago surely?

Every trip different!

Cheers

Phil

Totally agree Phil. I first visited in the 1980's as a child, and made one or two visits with my parents. In 2004 I made the first visit by myself. Since then I must have visited almost every school holiday since. I reckon I make at least 5 or 6 midweek visits per year. Every visit is different. There is always something different to see whether it be a charter, loco on test, driver experience or shunting activities. I am looking forward to making an overdue first visit of 2017 during the May half term.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Every trip different!

Cheers

Phil

I regret to say that I have never visited the SVR, despite having two of the early volunteers  - Brian & Paul Williams - as cousins. Equally I have never made it to the West Somerset line, although I have a sister living in the area. Sad init!

I regret to say that I have never visited the SVR, despite having two of the early volunteers  - Brian & Paul Williams - as cousins. Equally I have never made it to the West Somerset line, although I have a sister living in the area. Sad init!

Oh you must visit us at some time. GWR 0-6-0PT no. 7714 returned from overhaul at the end of last year. There are various hotels and B&Bs nearby, and I can recommend the Ship Inn, a great pub hardly 50 yards down the hill from Highley station.

• RMweb Gold

West Somerset too! SWMBO enjoys a day out there - train to the seaside, lunch in Minehead, train back to Dunster and a walk to the Castle and back then home

Cracking day out!

Phil

I notice changes to the SVR timetable for this year mean that trains no longer have a long stay at Kidderminster station. Previous timetables had a 50 minute layover. Now that has been much reduced. When visiting I would recommend catching the first train from Bridgnorth and travelling the full length of the line to Kidderminster. Then catching the return service as far as Highley for the Engine House. There is time for a lunch there and a walk around the exhibits before catching the same train as it returns from Bridgnorth. Then travel back to Kidderminster before returning to Bridgnorth. It makes a full and enjoyable day.

I have noticed, via Facebook, that 2857 derailed at Kidderminster this afternoon. A set of tender wheels seem to have derailed during a run round manouerve. The incident led to a 20 minute delay to trains with the 28xx's service departing diesel hauled. No further details that I can find yet, but the railway are investigating.

I have noticed, via Facebook, that 2857 derailed at Kidderminster this afternoon. A set of tender wheels seem to have derailed during a run round manouerve. The incident led to a 20 minute delay to trains with the 28xx's service departing diesel hauled. No further details that I can find yet, but the railway are investigating.

Hmm, I've been away from my beloved railway for a while but I hope nothing too serious has happened. The tender has only just returned from a wheel-turning session and a few years ago I drove it!

Hmm, I've been away from my beloved railway for a while but I hope nothing too serious has happened. The tender has only just returned from a wheel-turning session and a few years ago I drove it!

It did sound like a minor incident. I believe the loco was travelling at slow speed and only one set of wheels left the track.

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Is it a motor driven tender then Liam?

Hee hee

Phil

Wow! Is it a motor driven tender then Liam?

Hee hee

Phil

No, a few years ago a small group of us were allowed to take her up and down the track between about 150 yards on each side of Bewdley. After all the service trains had gone to bed of course. Phil, I'll tell you more later.

• Like 1

Popped out to get some fresh air at Kidderminster Station today during the Spring Diesel Gala today. Managed to get a few shots today... Will pop down again tomorrow after work and I aim to do the Sunday for Mixed Traction day.

34624607861_cd6b208814_b.jpg

34594450262_2f91a91d40_b.jpg

34594454022_c27b2b19f8_b.jpg

33914028934_07e208db48_b.jpg

34756324485_b81348dfce_b.jpg

• Like 11

45060 .... now that's a proper Peak!

Phil

45060 was the first loco I saw the first time my dad took me trainspotting in summer 1982. Was at the stabling point in Stourbridge Junction alongside a couple of Class 25s...from that perspective, glad it's survived!

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some smashing photos there D9016.....

Looks like you had some good weather!

And D1062 looking great in blue....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock