Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Like many GWR locomotives it's an ugly brute.

Davey

Actually it's a Hudswell Clarke built engine very similar to a similar robert Stehenson Co design both versions being built to the specification of the P.T R &D company which bought it as a new engine.  It gradually acquired various Swindon features during repairs carried out by the GWR but in reality its an engine from an absorbed company which (as it happens) the GWR sold out of service shortly after completely taking over its original owner. 

Actually it's a Hudswell Clarke built engine very similar to a similar robert Stehenson Co design both versions being built to the specification of the P.T R &D company which bought it as a new engine.  It gradually acquired various Swindon features during repairs carried out by the GWR but in reality its an engine from an absorbed company which (as it happens) the GWR sold out of service shortly after completely taking over its original owner. 

That is correct Stationmaster. 813 was 'Swindonised' at Swindon Works in a 17 month overhaul that lasted til March 1924. Rather than try and say everything that was changed, I will let the photos say it instead.

First one is PTR 26 as she would have emerged from Hudswell Clarke's works in 1901 in Works Grey. Second is one of the several I snapped yesterday. Comparing the photos, you can see very quickly the differences.

26.jpg

33681818670_95410174e2_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

Wonder what will look like in BR black. . .

813 and her sisters didn't enter BR ownership. They were all withdrawn by 1934 by the GWR who were starting to replace much of the pre-grouping GWR fleet that had been inherited from the pre-grouping companies with more modern engines.

813 was owned by the NCB for longer than she was owned by the GWR. Across all owners, she spent roughly the same amount of time (33 years) in service on her original main line duties as she did in colliery service.

Her longest single home is the SVR (the 50th anniversary of her arrival at Bridgnorth is later this year) but of course much of that 50 years was spent out of service under restoration or overhaul.

The rough breakdown of ownership is as follows:

PTR owned & operated: 8 years

PTR owned, GWR operated: 14 years

GWR owned & operated: 11 years

Stored for sale: 9 months

Backworth Collieries: 13 years

NCB: 20 years

• Like 1

813 and her sisters didn't enter BR ownership. They were all withdrawn by 1934 by the GWR who were starting to replace much of the pre-grouping GWR fleet that had been inherited from the pre-grouping companies with more modern engines.

If the owners take after WCR they might still out shop her in BR black even though it is fictitious.

• 2 weeks later...

The next time Tornado visits us I think we should paint one of the Gresleys 'blood and custard' - for if Tornado is in very early British Railways livery it would make a nice match, as British Railways were fairly slow to repaint all their coaches. :yes:

• RMweb Gold

The next time Tornado visits us I think we should paint one of the Gresleys 'blood and custard' - for if Tornado is in very early British Railways livery it would make a nice match, as British Railways were fairly slow to repaint all their coaches. :yes:

Is that a lynch mob from the LNER coach fund I hear coming up the line?

Hee hee

Phil

I was down at the Valley myself today. Very happy with the photos from today as I was able to get alot of things I've not been able to photograph previously.

Also I'm happy to say that I have now took over 10,000 photographs. Our resident Pannier GWR 1501 took that honour...!! Many thanks to those who view my photos, favourite them and follow me on Flickr and also like the postings I put up here on RMWeb. It really keeps me going.

Again thanks to you all :)

34495731206_75ab40d99d_b.jpg

34495733026_b38a8ec95a_b.jpg

34376164292_10ea6d8e63_b.jpg

34406958671_808ae9a409_b.jpg

34151639290_fbe64b2a6e_b.jpg

34151643160_297d0e75cd_b.jpg

34495794826_bfcb8c694b_b.jpg

• Like 6

This picture of the connecting service to Kidderminster just came up on my rotating wallpaper, thought you might like to see it. 4/8/1979

post-7177-0-18018400-1494271764_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was only thinking that today.. Maybe just one side of the train....