The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

wow great to read has inspired me to have a crack at something but the main thing is building a layout with thrift which is realy good in this current climate we are in and certainly would make tony hart take note OUTSTANDING !

Along with everyone else, I'm eagerly anticipating the final reveal, plus everything you've discovered in hindsight.

This is a great thread, but no only that, it's truly inspiring. You've made everyone think that they could do what you've done. That is something very special indeed. I can only join everyone else in congratulating you unreservedly.

In thinking ahead for a moment, the only thing I can see that will make anyone stop from having a go themselves is possibly the painting/weathering. To top this off with a beginners guide would be the icing on the cake. In fact, I'm sure there are some threads already on this subject here already, it's just that I haven't come across them yet.

To attempt this with a budget just about everyone can afford (whether you achieve it or not) is simply brilliant. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's final instalment.

Very well done.

Steve

• Like 2

Wow Dave,

This is a brilliant thread for a great idea.

It's really starting to look like a layout that's had a lot more

than £100 spent on it!

Looking at your posters I would suggest a north London

based layout, [broadfields was based in Cockfosters and

used to be the premier Triumph dealer in the area]

Looking forward to tomorrow, Jeff

And what's wrong with 'S', 'T' & 'Z' scales/gauges I ask?

[tongue firmly pressed in cheek!]

Nothing :) - although I'd love to see a success made in that budget for S and T. Z is probably doable, ok no bids so might go well above 100 but there is a Z gauge 'mixed lot' for £50 on ebay right now.. only think you'd want to add to it is probably more track ( points in the main).

Loving it, now all we need is people to accept N-Gauge, 3mm/ft and O-Gauge challenges within the same budget *giggles*

It may be possible in O, just. It will be severely limited though, maybe to an Inglenook. As always, the biggest expense and the most difficult acquisition will be the loco and rolling stock. You could get a Lima shunter for about £40 and the 8 (or 5) wagons for about £5 each. Lima turnouts and track for roughly £5 per turnout and per yard of track. For a 5/3/3 Inglenook you're well over your budget already and for a 3/2/2 you're just about on it so you'll have to do everything else with freebies. Should be possible with about £150 to play with though.

It may be possible in O, just. It will be severely limited though, maybe to an Inglenook. As always, the biggest expense and the most difficult acquisition will be the loco and rolling stock. You could get a Lima shunter for about £40 and the 8 (or 5) wagons for about £5 each. Lima turnouts and track for roughly £5 per turnout and per yard of track. For a 5/3/3 Inglenook you're well over your budget already and for a 3/2/2 you're just about on it so you'll have to do everything else with freebies. Should be possible with about £150 to play with though.

Even £150 in this day and age is pretty damned cheap!!!

Pretty sure N-gauge would do £100 no bother.

3mm-ft if you strike it lucky with Peco HOm track and don't mind running Triang - doable just about.

Hello,

I have to say that i normally just read and keep my mouth shut! but this has been a great read this morning from the start to now. Your weathering skills are to be admired, the wagons are really good. You are very good at what i call looking at the otherside of the coin. I commend you for your inginuity and showing what can be done when alternative thinking is employed.

Regards

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have found this most inspiring and I got to thinking about my own approach some 15 or more years ago when I built my first 0 gauge layout funds were somewhat restricted. The base board was from some old plywood wall panels obtained as freebies as were screws hinges etc. I had a few lengths of C+L track plus some point kits bought some time before so that sorted the track out. Scenery was paper shell using card or scraps of hardboard or cardboard formers with some polyfilla nicked from the household supplies for texturing. An old bit of insulation was used for the grass much as Dave used the basket liner. I did use some Woodland scenics tree mat for the trees. The main expenditure was on the stock agin some was stuff I had been picking up at odd shows mainly slaters kits which I used to put together whilst away on business. I started with about 10 wagons at a cost of around £150 the big expense was the loco I bought a loco ready to run for about £220 which wasn't bad for 0 gauge. My intentions were to build from kits once I had the basic layout. For an exhibition I borrowed a loco and a coach from Alan Brackenborough. The loco a scratchbuilt GWR 633 was a relevation not only was it a superb model but the running was exemplerary. It would start smoothly and crawl along. These days commercial locos run pretty well but that was not the norm then.

When Steve Naylor offered to put together a kit for me he did a superb job the kit cost about £100 all in for a 1361 dock tank. With Steve's skills it was a beautiful runner.

Perhaps the biggest factor was good friends and you cannot put a price on that.

• RMweb Gold

I have - Though I try not to remember! :D

not referred to as the 'all agro' for nothing then...

Great update again Dave - I am really enjoying how you have made stuff like the relay cabinets, pipes, wagon loads out of scraps of card/straws etc and once painted they look terrific.

Was tempted to look back and tot up the spend...but will let you do that in your final update ;)

I'll 3rd or even 5th the "beginners budget how to re-paint / weather a wagon" to be tagged on the end :)

Perhaps he intends to keep it a trade secret?

Ok waiting for the last instalment now! i've been away for 2 weeks and just had a good read on this and looking forward to seeing the whole thing in action. Amazing for the tiny budget, very impressed with the quality and very inspired!

For the 2011 challenge i tried to limit myself to £20.11p (i believe i still have funds left over from that still) but it is nothing compared to this and i already had the rolling stock.....really must finish that at some point......

I like the idea of using cheap test pots, i can feel a b&q trip coming on to help me crack on with my current layout.

Perhaps he intends to keep it a trade secret?

I think it's more that he feels there are others who are far better at the art of weathering than I am - there is a whole section of the forum dedicated to it afterall :)

I can knock up a 'how to' posting though with photos.

• Like 8

FANTASTIC ! very much enjoyed this from start to finish and dont want it to end lol great job Dave, i think it has kept everone hooked on this thread for a good while off to my shed now to see what i can rustle up all inspired, many thanks again dave

• Like 1