The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

It'll be interesting how you'll be dealing with the scenics, buildings and accessories, as they are features of a layout, after locos and stock, potentially another cause of overspending.

I'd use scalescenes and any other free kits plus some scalescenes paper and/or home made textures (although that does make it slightly more complex). Accessories would of course depend on what but I bet much can be cheaply scratch built ( matches for instance would be free - handy for fence posts ). Obviously the A4 needed would cost.. although not sure how to count the ink from the printer!!

• RMweb Gold

Dave, just a quick word to say I think this is an excellent idea and thread and look forward to how it pans out. It give plenty of food for thought not only to those on very limited budgets but also to those of us who have accumulated so many bits and pieces over time that we ought to be able to build a layout without spending any more money.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In my experience, it's easier finding unwanted cardboard than foamboard, also card's surprisingly strong - think of the packaging that came with your TV or washing machine.

It'll be interesting how you'll be dealing with the scenics, buildings and accessories, as they are features of a layout, after locos and stock, potentially another cause of overspending.

Keep up the good work, however.

Most of shop signage is of a foamboard type contruction. You could ask at your local store if they have any that's being disposed of. It's where I get most of mine from.

Rob

• Like 1

Excellent idea, my shunting puzzle layout started as a budget build challenge, ended up being around the £150 mark tho!

Another way of obtaining very cheap base boards is to use off cuts of ply from carpenters or skips(ask first and never get in one etc!) building open frame types rarely needs big pieces.

hi...just want to add my full support for the concept of this thread....

Regarding baseboards?

Speaking as an [un]civil servant, many of the [expensive??] cardboard boxes holding sundry top-secret gubbins where-I-work, is incredibly high quality and robust.

As a suggestion [not in this topic's case, but for others?] cardboard baseboards could also be supported underneath [for stiffening] by using suitable pre-formed expanded foam packings....these are incredibly stiff...so worth checking out electrical goods store skips?

To prove a point I posted yonks ago , I started to make a small board using the packaging from a Hornby Anglian trainset...leaving the expanded foam packaging inside the cardboard box. the whole shebang is quite rigid ....but I skinned the top with some very thin plywood [the backing off an old, scrapped wardrobe]....which would be the 'track-bed'............

Another alternative trackbed I've used [taken from an idea by Iain Rice]...is the dense foam found in camping mats [foamies?]....so if one knows someone who is junking such an item, maybe worth relieving them of the chore?

Glued to the cardboard surface, a quite resilient trackbed is to be had?

I'm intending to build my next layout with baseboards made from an old wardrobe, found in a shed when I bought my house. The bottom had rotted, but the sides were really solid 16mm ply, approx. 5ft x 18". If you don't have one lurking in a shed, try Freecycle or Freegle. I've also got assorted doors and other wardrobe bits that might be suitable too, if I didn't have other uses for them! Not all wardrobes are solid ply, as many are lighter construction, but these may well be more rigid than cardboard. Any big cardboard that turns up here is used for mulching the garden I'm afraid!

Great idea Dave! Might i suggest cornflake packets and paper for any raised scenery as if you use the stiffer card to make a lattice and then tear up the paper to make the surface you get a very cheap (and very light) surface for any scenery. Shoreham MRC's "Chelfham" scenery was done this way, including the valley with the viaduct.

My missus suggested this when I mentioned building a small portable layout (or even large modules) :

A pasting table. B&Q do them for about £15 but that would make a big dent in your budget for other things. But then I suppose anyone else on a budget wouldn't necessarily be using £100.

http://www.diy.com/n...noCookies=false

Tried this for a cheap option- not the most stable or well built (not a surprise for the price!) but the main problem is that the surface is far from level. Either the top surface would need replacing with something stronger or additional supports would need to be added which then prevents the legs from being folded away... either way its extra cost!

Loving this thread btw!

• RMweb Premium

I've examined several paste tables recently and the cheapest sold here in the UK have hardboard tops, ill-fitting and shaped timber frames and legs, often with "knots" and after a short time, sag in the middle where the two halves hinge.

Build quality's worse than about 20 years ago when some of the better tables, at least, had 1/8 inch thick plywood tops.

There are some metal-framed and heavy-duty plastic paste tables available but they'll cost up to around a third of the total layout cost on this thread!

Fair do's on the pasting table quality thing. If they're really that bad I might just as well go to a signmaker and get offcuts. Shame though.

I'm told many large timber firms sell offcuts quite cheap. Wenban Smith in my area does this. Sometimes you can get a pretty big piece of board for about a fiver. Just pays to ask really

• RMweb Gold

My don't some people nit-pick. Its your project and you set the rules and there are no prizes (unless I've missed something). Personally I find it interesting. Oh and I recently took enough cardboard for half a dozen boards up the tip so you would probably find it easy to scrounge if you needed to.

Don

• Like 15

Good motive power choice, they don't call them rats for nothing! Still enjoying the posts, maybe this could be next years challenge competition? Make everyone keep receipts and set a budget. If you get something free you need a name and signature to prove it?

Just as a side note I have a soldering iron I got in a budget shop for £4.99 with some multicore flex included.

• Like 5

Dave, this is fantastic, keep up the good work. An inspiration to all of us, especially those on a tight budget, no excuse for not having a layout now.

Regards Paul.

PS the recycling credentials are good too....something we modellers have been a bit lapse in considering

• Like 2

I'm quite liking the idea here!

I might even have a go at something similar but I think I'd still have some kind of wooden base. I'm sure a sheet of 4ft by 2 ft Hardboard only costs a fiver and most places will cut it half for nothing, so you can make up to an 8ft by 1 ft if you wanted. I've also got spare isulation board I could mount on the hardboard and in turn mount the track on that.

Just a quick thought regards the Hornby 25. If anybody wanted to do something similar to this but didn't mind spending a small amount extra, I reckon a second hand Bachmann 25 from the original batch they did could probably be bought for a relatively cheap price. the latest ones with lights etc new don't seem much over £50. Either way I agree something like a 25 is great choice.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Is a proportion of your inkjet cartridge in the budget?! Not sure what proportion you'd use up with that tiny amount of brick, and maybe there's more planned later, but maybe shop-bought brick paper would end up cheaper? One of those cases where a "free" download might be a pig in a poke (sure there's a better phrase for that).

Not so much a criticism, and it's pretty marginal either way, but just trying to keep the accounting honest!

• Like 1

Oh there's quite a bit of printing to come :)

I used the printer at work, so my printing was free, but yes you could factor in the ink cartridge cost... and purchasing a printer. The problem with a project like this is trying to cost something like that up, and then you start getting into the really bonkers stuff like the cost of petrol to the model shop, or the entrance fee to the exhibition, or the cost of the interweb connection to access the Scalescenes website. Oh, and a car of course. And a PC :D

The cost of specific modelling items is what I kept track of.

• Like 11

you start getting into the really bonkers stuff like the cost of petrol to the model shop

Not just petrol. You need to apportion all costs of running and ownership of the car - petrol, maintenance, tyres, depreciation, interest on any loans etc. etc.. Don't forget to allow for the distance to the model shop compared to other journeys, as your fuel consumption will vary depending on the length of the journey, and traffic conditions. Then there's car park charges, wear and tear on your shoes walking from the car to the shop and back. A Cost Accountant could have hours of fun with this :sungum:.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Dave - any particular reason for going for sand and paint for the ballast at £2, when you could probably have bought a bag of cheap ballast (Javis?) for around £1?

• Like 1

I've really got to applaud you on this project, as it's a real breath of fresh air.

Many of the featured layouts are constructed as if money is no object, & it's lovely to see someone trying to budget their modelling.

I was chatting to a lad at our club the other night, & he was put off by the expense involved with setting up a layout.

I was delighted to be able to point him towards your thread as proof that it can be done.

Well done once again, & I'll follow the progress with great interest.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 4

5 - Buildings & structures

So at this point the platform top was added. This is just a couple of pieces of cereal box card painted up with the dark grey ballast emulsion mixed roughly with the sky blue one. I didn’t want a neat, single overall colour, so I’ve stippled and streaked the paint around a bit. Once dry, a strip of masking tape was added along the front, just back from the edge, before again a poorly mixed concoction of the two emulsions was added, this time with a bias towards the lighter shade. A pencil was used to then mark out some individual slabs (pencil not included in cost - household item)

post-7489-0-83454200-1346261931_thumb.jpg

When building the bridge pillars I mentioned I’d used brickpaper from the free kits available on the Scalescenes website, and it's the free Scalescenes warehouse that I've used for my industry building on the layout. For starters, the supplied ‘concrete’ base provides the hard standing, with the card we already added raising the level up above the sleepers to rail height.

post-7489-0-05728800-1346261935_thumb.jpg

The Scalescenes warehouse is available for download in two brick finishes, so I used one option for the bridge and the alternative finish for the warehouse. I decided to only use parts of the kit to give the layout a bit of individuality, plus I wasn't sure if the size of the kit would dominate the layout too much. I placed the finished building with the siding disappearing into it to suggest a larger loading facility (the red/white clearance warning squares either side of the door were simply created in Windows Paint and printed out). I used cereal box card as the main structure, and some clear food packaging for the window 'glass'.

post-7489-0-37869100-1346261938_thumb.jpg

It looks like I've done a poor job on the right hand side of the building, but it's dead straight and square - it's actually the backscene that's on the skew a bit :(

To complete this area I used the cgtextures website for some wall sections and gates.

post-7489-0-20480200-1346261942_thumb.jpg

This small hut is scratchbuilt from the quality card leftover from the backscene. Since the back of this won’t be visible, I’ve just made three sides, scored them to represent planks, added a doorframe and doorhandle, and then fitted a roof with some strips to represent the individual roof sections. Offcuts were used to hold the whole thing together, with enamels used to finish it off. Total build time? About 40 minutes. Okay, so there’s a bit of a leap from this to creating a station building, but if you’ve simple huts and the like to add to a layout, you really can make your own for peanuts.

post-7489-0-80412300-1346261944_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-50951000-1346261947_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-33150600-1346261950_thumb.jpg

At this stage I also needed to put in some signs as the base needed to be buried in further ground coverings. Signs were either from the Scalescenes kit or printed out from the interweb, with the posts being folded card that's then glued with PVA. As you can see, 'extensions' on the posts are glued to the ground to affix the post in place.

post-7489-0-89259700-1346261953_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-26658000-1346261957_thumb.jpg

For the road overbridge that masks the fiddleyard exit, I enlarged and printed out a section of tarmac from cgtextures and PVA-ed it onto a single piece of cardboard box that I’d cut to shape. Printed sections of paving slab from the same website were then stuck onto separate cereal card strips and added along each side. Masking tape and a white enamel were used for the road markings.

post-7489-0-75036900-1346261960_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-39409500-1346261991_thumb.jpg

To add sides to the bridge, some girders were made from the last of the quality card, painted with primer and weathered up, and the walls are just more of the Scalescenes brick papers topped off with card strips.

post-7489-0-51621000-1346261995_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-98822000-1346261998_thumb.jpg

The final job at this stage was to add another printed texture from cgtextures for a road next to the fuel depot, and to also add the two supports for the fuel storage tank (just two pieces of card, painted up with enamels).

post-7489-0-27404300-1346262004_thumb.jpg

Regarding those enamel paints, I used a job lot of paints that I secured on eBay. Purchasing single pots will be around £1.25-£1.50 a time, but if you keep a look out on eBay you’ll regularly see lots of partially used pots going cheap (try the ‘model kit’ category). If you’re prepared to wait for the right sort of selection to come along you should be able to secure something sooner or later – avoid the bright gloss colours and instead keep a look out for a military modeller looking to sell some matt greys, browns and greens. I failed to win a few auctions but managed to get these 6 partially used pots for just £3 including postage. All are still at least two-thirds full.

post-7489-0-31409400-1346262007_thumb.jpg

Spends:

Buildings – all free

Enamels - £3

Half time score:

Hornby Track Pack E - £22.50, model shop

Peco Y point - £2.50, model shop

PVA glue - £1.50, Wilkinsons

Craft knife - £0.64, art supply shop

Pack of A4 card sheets - £1.20, art supply shop

Light blue emulsion tester pot for backscene - £1, Wilkinsons

Large paintbrush - £0.50, Wilkinsons

Gaugemaster flexitrack lengths x 2 - £3.30, exhibition

Peco fishplates - £1.50, exhibition

Wire - £1, exhibition

Hacksaw for track cutting - £1.20, Wilkinsons

Insulation tape for wiring - £0.25, Wilkinsons

Masking tape - £0.50, Homebase

Pack of modelling paintbrushes - £1.30, Wilkinsons

Bachmann controller - £5, eBay (theoretical)

Hornby Class 25 loco - £18, eBay

Brown emulsion tester pot for ground - £1, Wilkinsons

Sand for ballasting - £1, pet shop

Grey emulsion tester pot for ballasting - £1, Wilkinsons

Enamel paint x 6 - £3, eBay

Total so far: £67.89

(primer and watercolour not yet added)

Part 6 tomorrow covers probably the most challenging aspect of this £100 build – the rolling stock.

Edited by Dave777
  • Like 18