The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

Another thing that might be a good idea for road and platform surfaces is fine wet and dry paper something like 1600 grit. A pack of 5 roughly a4 sheets from halfords is only in the £2-3 range and would go a long way and it's generally the right colour and textured, only a little stippling with other colours would be needed.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A brilliant thread, Dave. I agree with a previous post that someone ought to offer you the chance to serialise this in a magazine! You've also changed the way I look at things - when I went into my layout room today I realised what an abundance of riches I have at my disposal. Some of the stuff I chuck out can easily be saved and used elsewhere.

I bet the whole thing looks fantastic at the end and it's now a daily ritual seeing what you've come up with.

Maybe someone could sponsor you to do another project - say at a slightly higher limit. Then you can compare and extend some of the compromises you've made here.

Great thread.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

this seems to me like a possible future RM web challenge, it would be really interesting to see how other people approach the compromises of the limited budget. Andy Y would have a nightmare trying to ensure people didn't cheat on the budgets, but he likes a challenge :O

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 8

Hi Dave - well done on this threat, very inspiring.

Couple of questions. Please could you give more detail on how you painted the ballast. I have a largish layout that needs ballasting and cost is one of the things that is putting me off. yours looks very good. Also you mention sand came from the pet shop, does it have any special name?

Also how old do you think your class 25 is? I have one which I suspect is late '70's vintage and despite tinkering with and spair parts is a very poor runner. Did they improve over the years. I would not recommend mine for a beginners layout, I think the poor running would spoil the layout for a beginner!

Carn't wait to see finished layout.

Many Thanks

Paul

• Agree 1

I'm loving this thread, it's like a soap opera! You've set yourself a tough challenge including stock and all tools and "consumables" in the budget. Even though I rarely use ready-to-run items, it is amazing to think how the price of a layout mounts up! I'd love to see what you do with £200 ... :mosking:

I got sand for free, an advantage of living by the sea side! It also makes good gravel or tarmac areas when sieved (using a tea-strainer, free if you don't get caught!) over a coat of PVA. I painted mine using artist's acrylics, the sort you get from places like "The Works" for a few pounds.

• Like 2

Paul - I agree about the Hornby 25, which is why I suggested anyone that is inspired to do something similar get a 2nd hand Bachmann 25, with it's much better mechanism, that is if they wanted to spend a bit extra. I can see why Dave has gone for the Hornby one though.

Having been inspired by this myself, I've had a quick peek in the loft to look at suitable building materials and luckily I've found an unused sheet of 4ft by 2ft 3mm thick Harboard. In addition, I've found a fair size chunk of foamboard type stuff (the shop sign type stuff someone else mentioned), some more normal type foam board (ideal for making buildings) and a few off cuts of 2 by 1 timber. That coupled with the insulation board in our garage means I'll just need 4 4ft bits of 2 by 1 to make 2 4ft by 1ft baseboards for a small layout, plus enough material to build a backscene,

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm like others i am so tempted by this idea

perhaps as a RM project for the future

i suspect the ground rules will need to be laid down and agreed

1 items that we all have at home are free such as tools printers domestic materials

2 free items such as stuff fromn skips is also free

3. things like free printed items are "free£

as well as consumption of beer during modeling is compulsary but not counted

Edited by nigelb

I seem to remember that the fine P4 Mostyn layout ran a number of Hornby rats with just a wheel change. Some were double motored I think to improve pulling power. They are still the best representation of that class and only the sole bar shows it up! Although Bachmann also decided to add a solebar to their rats even though they never had them.

• Like 2

Couple of questions. Please could you give more detail on how you painted the ballast. I have a largish layout that needs ballasting and cost is one of the things that is putting me off. yours looks very good. Also you mention sand came from the pet shop, does it have any special name?

Hi Paul, no special name on the sand I'm afraid, it came from a local pet shop (not one of the larger chain ones like Pets At Home) and I suspect they just buy a sack of it and then dispense it into smaller bags. I've used sand on a couple of layouts now for ballasting - it's 'silver sand' or I think it's also called 'play pit sand'. The pet shop stuff seemed pretty similar, perhaps a little more chunky.

As for painting, the emulsion is watered down a bit (maybe 30% water) and then just paint it on. It runs down into the sand and colours it. I started cleaning it off the sleepers at first but decided to just leave it on after a while. You can apply further washes with emulsions and watercolours.

The only comment I'd make is that it's fairly light, so it does tend to move around a bit during application of the glue/water. But equally there's ample 'adjustment time' - measured in hours - to even things out before the glue dries.

Also how old do you think your class 25 is? I have one which I suspect is late '70's vintage and despite tinkering with and spair parts is a very poor runner. Did they improve over the years. I would not recommend mine for a beginners layout, I think the poor running would spoil the layout for a beginner!

I had assumed it was a 70s model, but when it arrived I noticed that the '054' on the '25 054' running number was a little out of line, which suggested a re-numbering at some point. And the performance seemed just a little too good. I did some research and it appears it's this model here:

http://www.hornbygui....asp?itemid=665

In the 'model information' paragraph it mentions that it was supplied with a sheet of alternative numbers, and '25 054' is listed. So I think it's a late-80s model.

I have been surprised by the performance, and understand why people are cautious - despite the 'good runner' eBay listing, I confess I was expecting a bit of a clunker that needed a bit of work, but it really does run beautifully. I've no great advice to pass on really - it was the third one I bid on, having been outbid on the previous two, and I may well have simply got lucky in finding a good one.

I have a future OO parcels layout planned and had already purchased a couple of locos and told myself that the planned layout really didn't need any more motive power, but I've been so impressed with the way this one runs that I'm going to do a detailing job on it at some point so it can make an appearance.

Edited by Dave777
  • Like 1

I've had a couple of 25s from the early 80s and they were actually quite sweet runners, despite being chucked in a cardboard box when not in use when I was a kid!!! My Dad has a bluey (25, that is!) from the 70s and it still runs well now- quiet and smooth and its kept in an uninsulated loft and run about once every 2 years! Reckon that a few bum ones must've given them a bad press!!!

Great thread, especially like the work you have done on the old wagons, ideal project also for younger modellers who are tight on cash and want to upgrade from toy train wagons to something more realistic.

Some good stuff in here, not just "good for that price" but genuinely good modelling. Highlights for me so far being the lima vans (what a transformation!) and the bridge girders (are they REALLY just offcuts of card?!).

Prototypical or not, Dave, your expert weathering distracts from any apparent flaws with the model. I'd be proud to own them. Fabulous!!

Just goes to show, that good modelling has very little to do with cost and more to do with the skill and ingenuity of the modeller. Thanks for sharing.

Jonte.

P.S. when this is over and you've eventually got your breath back, would you mind showing me how you weathered your rolling stock ? Would love to have a bash.

• Like 1