The Book Of The County 4-6-0s

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on a forthcoming [xmas 2012] release in the book of the series on the Hawksworth County.I see theres also a Grange book in preperation too which is more preferable to me.This series has produced excellent reference books.

Theres a book on the S15 and H15 too.

http://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/FORTHCOMING_BOOKS.html

Interesting. How do they compare with Lawrence Waters' excellent Power of the Counties and Granges? I regard these as standard refrence books for the respective classes at the moment so another book on the subject would need to bring something new to the table.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. How do they compare with Lawrence Waters' excellent Power of the Counties and Granges? I regard these as standard refrence books for the respective classes at the moment so another book on the subject would need to bring something new to the table.

The Power series you mention are good for photos of quite a few of the class.If the Book of the Castles is a guide [the one book in the series I have] then the County/Grange books will be more thorough with every shed allocation,Swindon works visit,tenders fitted with dates etc.I think all 30 Counties and 80 Granges will feature.

The two series will compliment themselves.I hoping they do all the GWR classes eventually.

• 2 months later...

This title is now available, picked mine up today at Warley.

Initial impression is that it is on a par with the 'Book of the Castles', though obviously not as thick! There are new images of each and every class member as well as comprehensive data from the engine record cards. The time this would have taken to research is worth the cover price on its own in my opinion.

Recommended to all GWR modellers and those who like me have a soft spot for these much maligned locomotives.

Regards,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up on a forthcoming [xmas 2012] release in the book of the series on the Hawksworth County.I see theres also a Grange book in preperation too which is more preferable to me.This series has produced excellent reference books.

Theres a book on the S15 and H15 too.

http://www.irwellpre...MING_BOOKS.html

First print run of both books in very short supply; now all sold out, apparently.

Next print run won't be delivered 'til after Christmas.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Power series you mention are good for photos of quite a few of the class.If the Book of the Castles is a guide [the one book in the series I have] then the County/Grange books will be more thorough with every shed allocation,Swindon works visit,tenders fitted with dates etc.I think all 30 Counties and 80 Granges will feature.

The two series will compliment themselves.I hoping they do all the GWR classes eventually.

How much would you pay for it?

• RMweb Gold

How much would you pay for it?

Up to £30.It's worth it too but I can't see anywhere with a copy after a quick google search.Email Irwell Press and ask about a reprint.Some preserved railways like the SVR might have one in their shop.

Not the Castles Book though Bob which is what OTB wants.

That may not make it until well into the New Year, I think, but there is no mention of the reprinted "Castles" book on Irwell's website at the moment.

The good news is the forthcoming "Southern Moguls" book, which should be a good laugh if and when it turns up (I estimate probably halfway through 2014 or later), though I'm not expecting any miracles in it on the drawings front.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That may not make it until well into the New Year, I think, but there is no mention of the reprinted "Castles" book on Irwell's website at the moment.

The good news is the forthcoming "Southern Moguls" book, which should be a good laugh if and when it turns up (I estimate probably halfway through 2014 or later), though I'm not expecting any miracles in it on the drawings front.

The website now says that the Castle 4-6-0 book is due for reprint in 2014.

Archived