Creedyford

treggyman

post-14048-0-35395000-1346824846_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-34346600-1346824863_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-81866100-1346824885_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-95317200-1346824914.jpg

post-14048-0-59934100-1346824948_thumb.jpg

I do not think it has changed much but some photos of the downside shelter at Crediton. On a Sunday when things where quiet I used to go up to the platform and sweep and mop out the shelters on the up and downside and clean the windows.

A few memories of learning the job. One Wednesday at Barnstaple the station supervisor, Owen Gregory, told me I was going to Eggesford on the next Monday. This was a bit of a surprise to me. I had put in an application for the signalmans job at Crediton some six months previously and heard nothing. Since the Exeter resignalling had been announced right afterwards I had assumed that the vacancy would be frozen. It turned out that the idea of sending me to Eggesford was because there was only one mode of signalling instead of the three at Crediton so I would do my first fortnight of training at Eggesford. Eggesford box was roomy, being a replacement for the old box which had suffered badly from subsidence. The old box had been to the LSWR type i box design like most of the others on the line though it had appeared different as it was the only one to be built with a gabled roof instead of a hipped roof which all the others had. Anyway, the replacement had a twelve lever frame, eight working and four spaces giving plenty of room and was a standard WR prefabricated design. When I first went there it still had an arrangement of slats above the windows to act as a light baffle (I presume). When the box was later repainted these where removed. The box faced a hillside so low sunlight causing a glare was not a problem. The slats collected rainwater and would funnel it down your neck when you went out for the token. The box looked a bit 'bareheaded' though without the slats.

post-14048-0-45988400-1346826501_thumb.jpg

Eggesford box with Bill Butt stood on the landing

post-14048-0-07489300-1346826527_thumb.jpg

On my first day at Eggesford I met Harry Toulson who lived opposite in the station house with his wife Betty. Harry and Betty had met when they both worked on the trams in Leeds and to listen to Harry you would think he had only just moved down from there. Harry was the local rules expert and he would sit me down at the table with him the other side and we would go through the rule books for the entire turn. I went home with my head buzzing and had to sit down again at home with the books to get everything straight in my head. That is not a criticism by the way, I really appreciated all the trouble he was taking. One day Betty turned up with Harrys dinner. I pulled her leg about there being no pie for me. The next day she appeared and presented me with a whole apple pie she had baked just for me! It was Harry who told me that the slats above the windows where fitted to reduce glare from spotlights as the box had come from a marshalling yard in Birmingham. Years later I had to smile as the box was actually second hand from Ashendon Junction. The location is even more rural than Eggesford with no road near and Ashendon village away on a hill. I have since had occasion to go to Ashendon to clear cattle from the line, its site only marked by the up and down lines slewing away from one another and then back again as a reminder of the flying junction that once existed there. Doubtless the confusion was because the box had been located on the GWRs direct line TO Birmingham. Until the booking was abolished at Banbury South signalbox a little while ago, all the up Chilterns services had AL entered in the remarks column in the train register for Ashendon line. Sadly, Harry died a few years ago of cancer. He is the only Eggesford signalman that I have not got a photo of. A year or so ago, Betty was still living in the station house. The other signalman I learnt with was Jimmy Hughes who used to come to work in his scrap metal lorry. Learning with him was much more relaxed, I think I read the newspapers more when I was with him than I did the rule book. Bill Butt, the other resident was on annual leave when I was learning so I must have had a day or two with Bill Woolridge who was a reliefman based at Eggesford who I had already met at Barnstaple. The first time I was entrusted to change tokens at Eggesford I was stood on the crossing as the train approached and realised at the last moment that I had the token in the wrong hand. I do not think many signalmen exchange tokens with their arms crossed! Eggesford was always my favourite location on the line and I spent many hours taking photos around there. The scenery is still the same (except for there being more of it!) but it does not seem the same without the human presence. Later we shall go on to Crediton and my learning there.

David.

Hi David

Well where do I start.....

The photo's of the downside waiting shelter are BRILLIANT.......Just what I needed.....& somehow even better in black & white.....really shows up the detail.....Thanks very much.

The first picture took me by surprise until I realised what it was.

The other bonus is that the 4th & 5th pictures show good background to the yard.......very useful.

Great pictures of Eggesford 'box.....One extreme to another......It would certainly make a nice model.

As you say the 'Box was certainly spacious...... Great stories....Keep 'em coming....

Once again....Thanks for the SUPERB photo's of places I saw but didn't have a camera to hand at the time.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Here are three images of Crediton taken this Summer.

If there are any particular close ups you are after just let me know as I did take quite a few.

Ian

Hi

Great pictures.....Thanks very much.......

Perhaps it's me.....But.....The station looks in really good nick....obviously well cared for....But a rendition of I assume original

LSWR Salmon doesn't to me quite suit.....I emphasise that it is only my opinion & the station looks great....But maybe Southern Green might? have looked more in keeping.

Eggesford Box has added pics of the downside shelter so any of the upside would be most welcome,though Iassume they are similar.

As I'm going to put the 'Box on the 'wrong ' side of the tracks I will probably do the same with the station building,(otherwise all you would see of it would be a black silouette)so any of the front would be useful.

Thanks again for the pic's

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Decided that I would go with the original plan & just have two sidings with no kickback but a trap/catch point to protect the main line

A few pics.....Apologies as the quality isn't brilliant....

But hopefully it gives an idea of the layout

post-7844-0-53479400-1347217047_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-25814900-1347217073_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-11617100-1347217166_thumb.jpg

A '33 with a selection of ballast wagons coming back from Meldon (I know....they should be loaded.....& I'll have to check when Dutch livery came in...I think it was mid '80's so possibly allowable in this era...)

post-7844-0-43292500-1347217088_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-36663400-1347217184_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-77441400-1347217204_thumb.jpg

Finally a close up of the catch point...

post-7844-0-02914500-1347217220_thumb.jpg

I have also put in the dropper wires for two of the boards....Just the board with the crossovers on at the Meldon end to do.....

Then I'll be able to cobble the wires together to check all runs smoothly whilst I'm making the control panel.

I will probably have to wire in the point motors first though as the frogs rely on these to change the polarity,so trains won't be running for a while .

• Like 4

post-14048-0-10255600-1347478605_thumb.jpg

Carrying on with our ramblings about Crediton box. After a fortnight at Eggesford I finally arrived at Crediton. Compared to Eggesford the box was cramped but I soon got to think of it as cosy. The box contained a 22 lever Stevens frame with 15 levers working with the levers standing upright in the frame when normal. Apart from the block bell to Eggesford, the tension adjusters and the frame all the rest of the equipment was of western pattern. I presume most of the southern equipment had been replaced when the layout was altered in 1971. The levers had been fitted with standard western Ivorine lever leads (description plates) but you could see the holes at the bottom of the levers where the southern plates had been fitted. Here I met the only resident signaller, Ray Knight; who, I hate to say, reminded me of no one more than Sheriff Roscoe P Coletrain out of the Dukes of Hazzard!

There where two vacancies at Crediton as not only was it a bottom grade box (A) but the hours put most people off. It was worked on two ten hour shifts 0300/1300 and 1300/2300 with one turn on a Sunday which was 1120/2025. The vacancies where covered by relief men from Exeter. I do not think Ray was that keen to teach me fearing the loss of his overtime. As it was , once I took on we covered the box between us for most of the time as with resignalling in the offing the Exeter men where tied up with covering the vacancies on the mainline.

Most of the time I learnt with the relief men. Covering a wider variety of boxes relief men where often the best to learn with. There was Dave Northcott, a large gentleman both in size and volume, known to everybody as Basher. The first time I learnt with him I went away hoping I would not be on with him to much. I soon learnt, however, his bark was much worse than his bite and got to really enjoy his company. I can still remember him asking me rules. If I did not know the answer back would come the comment in a loud voice "Clem will smack your ar*@e if you don't know that!". A complete contrast was 'Rigor' who would spend most of the shift slumped in the chair virtually horizontal. The first shift I was on with him he barely said a word. Now 'Rigor' lived at Copplestone and on lates his other half would often drive to the box and spend the evening with him. I knew this and was slightly miffed at his lack of conversation. Come late afternoon 'Rigor' started to suggest that I may as well get away early as while learning it would be my only chance to do this. I knew what his ulterior motive was so the veritable picture of beaming fresh faced innocense I said no that was all right, I did not mind staying. Phil Arnold who tended an allotment overlooking the box told me the next day how a mini had arrived outside the box whilst I was out to a train, 'Rigor' had emerged from the box and then the car had roared away with its driver in high dudgeon! I think 'Rigor' twigged afterwards that I had been making a point and was more sociable in future, even giving me some strawberries.

More on learning and details of the box later but here is a shot of a 47 entering the newly singled section to Cowley.

post-14048-0-65890300-1347482041_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

post-14048-0-10255600-1347478605_thumb.jpg

Carrying on with our ramblings about Crediton box. After a fortnight at Eggesford I finally arrived at Crediton. Compared to Eggesford the box was cramped but I soon got to think of it as cosy. The box contained a 22 lever Stevens frame with 15 levers working with the levers standing upright in the frame when normal. Apart from the block bell to Eggesford, the tension adjusters and the frame all the rest of the equipment was of western pattern. I presume most of the southern equipment had been replaced when the layout was altered in 1971. The levers had been fitted with standard western Ivorine lever leads (description plates) but you could see the holes at the bottom of the levers where the southern plates had been fitted. Here I met the only resident signaller, Ray Knight; who, I hate to say, reminded me of no one more than Sheriff Roscoe P Coletrain out of the Dukes of Hazzard!

There where two vacancies at Crediton as not only was it a bottom grade box (A) but the hours put most people off. It was worked on two ten hour shifts 0300/1300 and 1300/2300 with one turn on a Sunday which was 1120/2025. The vacancies where covered by relief men from Exeter. I do not think Ray was that keen to teach me fearing the loss of his overtime. As it was , once I took on we covered the box between us for most of the time as with resignalling in the offing the Exeter men where tied up with covering the vacancies on the mainline.

Most of the time I learnt with the relief men. Covering a wider variety of boxes relief men where often the best to learn with. There was Dave Northcott, a large gentleman both in size and volume, known to everybody as Basher. The first time I learnt with him I went away hoping I would not be on with him to much. I soon learnt, however, his bark was much worse than his bite and got to really enjoy his company. I can still remember him asking me rules. If I did not know the answer back would come the comment in a loud voice "Clem will smack your ar*@e if you don't know that!". A complete contrast was 'Rigor' who would spend most of the shift slumped in the chair virtually horizontal. The first shift I was on with him he barely said a word. Now 'Rigor' lived at Copplestone and on lates his other half would often drive to the box and spend the evening with him. I knew this and was slightly miffed at his lack of conversation. Come late afternoon 'Rigor' started to suggest that I may as well get away early as while learning it would be my only chance to do this. I knew what his ulterior motive was so the veritable picture of beaming fresh faced innocense I said no that was all right, I did not mind staying. Phil Arnold who tended an allotment overlooking the box told me the next day how a mini had arrived outside the box whilst I was out to a train, 'Rigor' had emerged from the box and then the car had roared away with its driver in high dudgeon! I think 'Rigor' twigged afterwards that I had been making a point and was more sociable in future, even giving me some strawberries.

More on learning and details of the box later but here is a shot of a 47 entering the newly singled section to Cowley.

post-14048-0-65890300-1347482041_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the ramblings.....Great background as usual

Super picture.....I was thinking of including some abandoned track but I may have to leave that bit of the track bed as with the track lifted... We'll see as time goes on what it looks like....Also a great view of the background & the entrance to the station......So much useful detail.....Thanks again

Finished soldering up the feeds to the track,& soldered up the wires to the frogs so they will be live & switched by the point motors....Hope to fix & wire the motors this weekend

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a brief update....

The trouble with good weather is that all those outdoor jobs need doing.....

So I for one was not too sorry about yesterday's rain.

It enabled me to make the control panel.

Where I work we do plastic fascias & fittings, so I used a small offcut of Cappit ( a 10mm thick 'L'shaped board )cut approx 20inches long & 6 inches wide.The short part of the 'L' is about 1 inch deep.A small strip approx 4 inches deep fixed on the opposite edge gives a sort of 'C'shape.

post-7844-0-48900200-1348519069_thumb.jpg

This gives a lightweight but strong panel that is easy to keep clean & can be easily glued,screwed or drilled as necessary.

The face has had the trackplan drawn on it & the section & point switches fitted.

post-7844-0-62695400-1348519366_thumb.jpg

I have also managed to wire in the power to the middle 'board

SO TONIGHT.....

The first loco ran under it's own power (that's the 25 in the first picture)

In order to save a few pennies I have decided to use the 'Power Box' from Penhallick Junction to also power Creedyford......

A couple of minor adjustments to the feed to Penhallick ,which as it happens is an improvement as only 1 plug now provides all the power rather than two as previously....& Hey Presto....

As the layouts are similar length I also plan to use the same lighting rig.....we'll see how that works later.

Hope to get the other two boards wired in this week.....Then the tortoise point motors.....then....

Anyway, that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see some 'box Instructions with Geoff Dent's signature on after all these years - must be a long time since the last of those went (an excellent ) gauge modeller by the way too, had to keep on building new layouts as he seemed to be forever moving house.

As for your 'mate' Rigor i do wonder if the lady in the car was 'someone other than his wife' as the saying used to go - not an uncommon sort of visitor to the late turn Signalman in some 'boxes.

• Like 2

Hi Bill,

nice to see your progress. A few photos of the south end of Crediton including a 'Pillbox' brake in view of Bachmanns latest release.

post-14048-0-11979200-1348602376_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-93813300-1348602397_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-34875500-1348604677_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-31677200-1348604713_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-08045400-1348604776_thumb.jpg

Well Mike I know the others who where older and less naive than the young me said it was his wife/partner though if he had two women on the go it would explain his lack of energy in other respects! I can remember once visiting a box in Cumbria and the signalman and his female visitor going through a complicated rigmarole to explain she had merely turned up owing to a puncture on her car. The father of a friend of the family was a signalman ending his days either at Braunton or Instow. According to the friend he hung his duster outside to dry to tell his lady friend if the coast was clear!

Returning to Crediton, another of the relief signalmen was Ken Davey, always dressed in a suit complete with an attache case which contained his food and a neatly folded lever cloth. Incidently, there was a box duster but each signalmen also had their own personal duster. There was also Ray Allen. Ray used to call me Bo, abbreviated from Bo Diddley owing to my small size (5' 6" with the build of a Whippet); a bit of a joke as Ray was even shorter than me. I was told that shortly before the panel was commisioned it was placed on the block shelf. The existing equipment was piled up on framing at either end of the shelf to the extent that Ray had to stand on a chair to ring the block bell. The last time I saw Ray was on one of the few down trains that stopped at Tiverton Junction. I stared bored out of the window in the darkness as the carriage drew to a stand opposite the signalbox. I met the equally bored stare of the signalman and realised it was Ray. There then followed a mimeing session that would have left Marcel Marceau speechless with admiration. Much to the amusment/bemusement of the two women sat at the same table!

When learning at Crediton with Dave Northcott one day a train drew to a stand to give up the token for the section from Eggesford and Dave and the driver had a slightly heated conversation. I asked Dave what it was about and it revealed that some drivers did not uderstand how Salmon Pool Crossing operated. It had not long been converted to an AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing Locally Monitored). It has possibly a unique configuration with two parallel single lines over it. Only one train was allowed to pass over it at a time. The first train to hit the approach controls got priority over the crossing with a white flashing light to proceed. Any other train approaching the crossing on the other line would get an illuminated sign saying literally 'Wait'. On this day a passenger from Barnstaple and a stone train from Meldon where both approaching the crossing. The stone train hit the approach controls just before the passenger, got the white light to proceed and trundled slowly up to the home signal to wait. The passenger was brought to a stand at the 'Wait' sign with the driver clearly able to see his home signal off a little further up the track. The passenger driver was not amused thinking Salmon Pool was controlled directly from Crediton box. Such situations where not much appreciated by any motorists at Crediton or even the signalmen as you would have to pull off before the train passed over Salmon Pool to avoid delay and then the barriers would be down at the crossing by the box with the signals off and the passenger train stood at Salmon Pool waiting for the crossing to go through its sequence and recieve its white flashing light.

Enough for one night, I hope the photos are of some use,

David

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

nice to see your progress. A few photos of the south end of Crediton including a 'Pillbox' brake in view of Bachmanns latest release.

post-14048-0-11979200-1348602376_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-93813300-1348602397_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-34875500-1348604677_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-31677200-1348604713_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-08045400-1348604776_thumb.jpg

Well Mike I know the others who where older and less naive than the young me said it was his wife/partner though if he had two women on the go it would explain his lack of energy in other respects! I can remember once visiting a box in Cumbria and the signalman and his female visitor going through a complicated rigmarole to explain she had merely turned up owing to a puncture on her car. The father of a friend of the family was a signalman ending his days either at Braunton or Instow. According to the friend he hung his duster outside to dry to tell his lady friend if the coast was clear!

Returning to Crediton, another of the relief signalmen was Ken Davey, always dressed in a suit complete with an attache case which contained his food and a neatly folded lever cloth. Incidently, there was a box duster but each signalmen also had their own personal duster. There was also Ray Allen. Ray used to call me Bo, abbreviated from Bo Diddley owing to my small size (5' 6" with the build of a Whippet); a bit of a joke as Ray was even shorter than me. I was told that shortly before the panel was commisioned it was placed on the block shelf. The existing equipment was piled up on framing at either end of the shelf to the extent that Ray had to stand on a chair to ring the block bell. The last time I saw Ray was on one of the few down trains that stopped at Tiverton Junction. I stared bored out of the window in the darkness as the carriage drew to a stand opposite the signalbox. I met the equally bored stare of the signalman and realised it was Ray. There then followed a mimeing session that would have left Marcel Marceau speechless with admiration. Much to the amusment/bemusement of the two women sat at the same table!

When learning at Crediton with Dave Northcott one day a train drew to a stand to give up the token for the section from Eggesford and Dave and the driver had a slightly heated conversation. I asked Dave what it was about and it revealed that some drivers did not uderstand how Salmon Pool Crossing operated. It had not long been converted to an AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing Locally Monitored). It has possibly a unique configuration with two parallel single lines over it. Only one train was allowed to pass over it at a time. The first train to hit the approach controls got priority over the crossing with a white flashing light to proceed. Any other train approaching the crossing on the other line would get an illuminated sign saying literally 'Wait'. On this day a passenger from Barnstaple and a stone train from Meldon where both approaching the crossing. The stone train hit the approach controls just before the passenger, got the white light to proceed and trundled slowly up to the home signal to wait. The passenger was brought to a stand at the 'Wait' sign with the driver clearly able to see his home signal off a little further up the track. The passenger driver was not amused thinking Salmon Pool was controlled directly from Crediton box. Such situations where not much appreciated by any motorists at Crediton or even the signalmen as you would have to pull off before the train passed over Salmon Pool to avoid delay and then the barriers would be down at the crossing by the box with the signals off and the passenger train stood at Salmon Pool waiting for the crossing to go through its sequence and recieve its white flashing light.

Enough for one night, I hope the photos are of some use,

David

Hi David

Sorry for the delay in replying....Missed your post when browsing & what with one thing & another only noticed it today...

Some brilliant pics......That colour of green on the shed is something else!!!!

As for the Pill Box brake....I do have a Cambrian kit that I made years ago but never finished.....That will now be put right.

The photo's are of great use as they help with the 'atmosphere' & give lots of ideas for the scenics....Anymore more than welcome

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Just a short progress report.

Just about finished wiring now....Just the feeds to the frogs on the two points at the Exeter end to wire in....

All other sections & the point motors wired up & working......

As regards points I wanted to place them where the looked right & not worry too much about where they were with regard to baseboard bracing etc.

Most ended up fine......

A brass wire in tube linkage sorted the problem.....

This photo also shows how I have 'labelled' the wiring with a diagram of the 'D' plug on the underside of the baseboard with which wire is which.....It can't get lost or misplaced......I've not tried this before so we'll see how it works.....Also points are letters & sections are numbers....

post-7844-0-12409700-1349988989_thumb.jpg

BUT.....The throat point at the Exeter end threw up a challenge.....

post-7844-0-76165200-1349989038_thumb.jpg

Yep......I'd placed the tie bar hole right where the two cross braces 'cross'......

Although not as clear as I would like as the camera has focussed on the motor hopefully you get a picture of the solution.....It seems to work anyway

post-7844-0-32094000-1349989391_thumb.jpg

Below show a picture of the underside of 'Barnstaple' end showing the spaghetti that is my wiring.....It will be tidied up but this is more to show how it shouldn't be done

post-7844-0-63447400-1349989491_thumb.jpg

As you can see the last motor is not a tortoise....Never used this type before so we'll see how they work in comparison

Won't be doing much to Creedyford now for about 3 weeks as we have visitors for a few days & then Penhallick Junction is at Bodmin show first weekend in Nov so will be playing with that to make sure all is well prior to its outing

Cheers & thanks for looking

Bill

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the things about the layout topics and other forums is that it can spur you on and give you inspiration if you have it in the back of your mind to try something similar. Finally got around to having a go at making a LSWR type 1 box myself. No where near finished but I thought I would post a few photos of my slow progress

post-14048-0-18579700-1350812041_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-22115600-1350812085_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons progress has been so slow is that I have never known a structure to be such a mare to construct with false starts attempting a 'thin frame' type of construction which I should really have known better than to try and repeatedly getting glue on the glazing at each fresh attempt at the windows. Admittedly looking even more battered having been thrown in the bottom of my bag but in the hope it will give encouragement to others when things are not going so well, the grisly remains!

post-14048-0-71016000-1350812402_thumb.jpg

N.B.

the two brass wires sticking up will be for the internal lights. I intend to bend them to follow the internal roof timbers, trim them to length and solder a light to them.

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 6

Good to see that you have not given up! Looking good. I need to add an interior to my signal box now that you have done yours!

The interior is not finished yet by a long way. Meant to put in an enquiry for help while I am at it. Has anyone got any photos of the single story end, forecourt elevation of the station buildings at either Copplestone, Morchard Road or Umberleigh which where all similar? One part of the buildings that I have not got photos of or seen any in any books. If ever I do get around to building a layout based on the North Devon it will need to be a 'rose tinted spectacles' version with lovingly tended gardens hence a building with living accomodation to get by SWMBO who tends to refer to a seventies based theme depreceatingly as 'Jimmy Saville trains'. Any ideas of building a layout with, on the facia, a grinning, waving Sir Jimmy declaring 'This is the age......of the train' have been somewhat overtaken by recent events.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a quick update....

Penhallick Junction has been to Bodmin show & back very successfully & as it's next outing is in May I can have a real go at Creedyford

So this evening I set it up & had a think......

Definitely going to be a roundy roundy......

Short term may end up with a cassette system ,but will end up with a traverser fiddle yard as that will give it more flexibility in operation....

post-7844-0-08009900-1352587189_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-28247300-1352587207_thumb.jpg

Got lots of chores tomorrow, but hopefully will make some progress in making the curved ends to the fiddle yard...... NO PRESSURE.....Exhibition debut next August!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

Just a quick update....

Penhallick Junction has been to Bodmin show & back very successfully & as it's next outing is in May I can have a real go at Creedyford

So this evening I set it up & had a think......

Definitely going to be a roundy roundy......

...... NO PRESSURE.....Exhibition debut next August!!!!

Cheers Bill

Glad to see you're able to carry on with this. A roundy-roundy should be a lot easier to operate, assuming you've got the space!

Where's the début going to be then?

Glad to see you're able to carry on with this. A roundy-roundy should be a lot easier to operate, assuming you've got the space!

Where's the début going to be then?

Hi Ramblin Rich

The brave folk of Hayle Cornwall will see the debut performance in August next year.....

To be fair they booked Penhallick Junction blind....Except the exhibition manager is an RMWeb contributor so had seen 'progress'

Hope to see you at a show sometime with either Penhallick Junct or Creedyford.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

I like the idea of a roundy-roundy - should be easier to operate, but obviously will take up more space - what size do you think that it will be when done?

Hi

Thanks for the comment.

The front is 12ft long (3.66m).

I estimate the depth will be just over 7ft depending on the traverser

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

The weather was good today so sadly lots of outdoor jobs had to be done.

However managed to cut the curved baseboard tops just as it was getting dark ( the security light helped).

They've been trimmed to length & set up loosely resting on a plank which is pretending to be a traverser.

post-7844-0-98352900-1352667199_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-73263200-1352667233_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-35980200-1352667267_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-86703200-1352667298_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this gives an idea of how it will look.

I normally use 6mm ply for baseboard tops with 9mm bracing...For these I shall do it the other way round...9mm top & 6 or even 4mm sides as the sides need to be curved to shape.

I'm planning that in cross section it will look like an 'H',with the sides being both above & below the board (the upper bit to stop derailments falling to the floor).

I shall put a single leg in the middle of these boards to support them.

It would have been nice to have the end boards scenic,but because it all has to fit in the Landrover there isn't room for bigger boards....Indeed I suspect that I shall have to carry the traverser on the roofrack in a box of some description......But that's a bit further down the line.....

Hopefully I'll get a bit of time this week to work on the end boards.

This will give a viewing face of 12ft with the traverser storage lines being about 6ft long....Able to hold good length trains !!!!

I'm aiming to have 8 lines if possible.

Thanks for looking.....Any suggestions always welcome

Cheers Bill

• Like 2