The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Wins Again

edcayton

I've been dropping in and out today whist doing various other things. We have had light-hearted musings on lions in Essex, some fairly strong arguments about exhibitions, some interesting interchange on digital TV reception and the usual mix of useful discussion about specific aspects of both model and prototype (not just trains).

Where else could you find this?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Down the pub?

Geoff Endacott

My son (age 20) complains about loud music in pubs that prevent conversation, so I suppose it depends on which pub. He isn't totally grumpy, if the reason for going to the pub was to see the band that's OK apparently.

• RMweb Gold

Pubs aren't what they used to be - when I was a lad we had over 30 in the town but now only 3 of them are what could really be called pubs in the old sense of the word and two of them do meals so don't really count. The local brewery closed some years ago so the beer you now get tastes different and it costs a small fortune, the chair at my 'puter is a lot more comfy than a bar stool, and at the company here seems to like talking about railway modelling and railways which I find distinctly preferable to listening to unfathomable amateur analyses of football matches and complaints about the price of a pint of bitter going up to two bob.

• RMweb Premium

No UK-style pubs here either. Pubs exist but are huge beer-halls with everything pitched at maximising alcohol sales and gambling. Often with loud "entertainment" as well. Nowhere to sit and have a casual beer over a yarn.

We have a lot to be grateful for in this virtual club. We even manage to meet each other in "AR" (Actual Reality for those unfamiliar with the term) now and again. What we don't have is the convivial atmosphere over the beer while we sit and pontificate at our computers. Sure I can enjoy a drink while typing this and I enjoy the company and friendship of many of us here. But I'm still sitting "home alone".

This is a great place. Perhaps that can be expanded on informally where a few of us who are close in space get together in a chosen hostelry. It won't work for everyone and it doesn't have to be under the RMweb/Warner's banner but it may be a great way to extend hat we have to another level of friendship. Namely actually meeting and becomnig friends with real people in real situations.

• RMweb Gold

I have no pubs within 3,000 miles of me. Must be why I like the place so much, besides I don't get into fights on here (often)....

Best, Pete.

No pubs for 3000miles!!

There are some good bars serving good craft beers in NYC though - my favorite is the one in Battery park - a trailer in the summer with taps on the outside serving Victory Brewing beers - if its still there since we did it a few years ago!

Yesterday we were in the Fat Cat in Sheffield - cant get a more traditional Victorian street corner pub than that

I have no pubs within 3,000 miles of me. Must be why I like the place so much, besides I don't get into fights on here (often)....

Best, Pete.

Try Stoney's in Wilmington, DE. Not quite a true pub, but English fare and run by an ex-pat (who used to be involved in the music industry). On saturdays Yorkshire Pudding is on the menu.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Irish Rover Too in La Grange KY. It's run by an Irishman (he has another not far away). OK it's an amercanised version of a British pub but did Fullers, Newcastle and one other UK beer I've forgotten. The 'pub grub' is again slightly americanised but good enough when you're so far from home. AND if you're lucky trains pass by the door. As close to Nirvana as you can get in a former colony.

I've been dropping in and out today whist doing various other things. We have had light-hearted musings on lions in Essex, some fairly strong arguments about exhibitions, some interesting interchange on digital TV reception and the usual mix of useful discussion about specific aspects of both model and prototype (not just trains).

Where else could you find this?

Ed

The Guardian website does a pretty good job of providing one's daily entertainment.Tim

When I was younger I used to hate pubs. Didn't like beer much, come to that, but I used to go with friends because that's what you did.

I can still take or leave pubs, but I like them better now that you can sit down to a good decent value meal without coming out stinking of cigarettes and you can order a non-alcoholic drink without feeling like a wimp.

Believe me there are no decent Pubs in the 'States - there are Disneyized versions of Pubs.

The only one I quite like is the "Cat and Fiddle" on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, I used to hang there quite a bit 'cos it's a mecca for English musicians (or was).

Obviously I have not visited every "Pub" in the 'States but neither did I in England (and there are some dreadful ones there too)...

YMMV.

Best, Pete.

Great pubs of my time...

The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle.

The Mustard Pot, also Spread Eagle, Leeds.

Lass O'Gowrie and Briton's Protection, Manchester.

The Horseshoe, Glasgow.

The Old Spot, Salem Massachusetts.

Lamb and Child, Oxford.

White Horse, Keswick.

Probably way off topic...

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Believe me there are no decent Pubs in the 'States - there are Disneyized versions of Pubs.

The only one I quite like is the "Cat and Fiddle" on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, I used to hang there quite a bit 'cos it's a mecca for English musicians (or was).

Obviously I have not visited every "Pub" in the 'States but neither did I in England (and there are some dreadful ones there too).

YMMV.

Best, Pete.

Peter - Horsebrass in Portland, Oregon gets pretty close - Ok it has quite a few dartboards and table service but its close - has a great sign above the door as you leave - 'you are now leaving the British Sector' remnant from Berlin!!

Steve - I often sit in a good pub, (was in the Horseshoe in Glasgow last Saturday evening) browsing RMweb on my tablet, so not too far off topic - better than reading a paper!!

Ian

Archived