Guildex Telford

John K

Hello John,

This will be the first time in years that I will not be able to make Telford. My wife and I will be en route to the Isles of Scilly for our annual visit. Tis lovely but alas no railways! When Ramchester is a bit further along the line I will put fingers to keyboard and send something in for the Gazette. In the meantime would you be interested in a short article on how we modified Peco points to take away some of the "toylike" features? If so send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to make the next deadline.

railwayrod

Would be great full if you could post some thing on here as well

I would be delighted to receive it

Send me an email or pm me.

Best,

John

Hello John,

This will be the first time in years that I will not be able to make Telford. My wife and I will be en route to the Isles of Scilly for our annual visit. Tis lovely but alas no railways! When Ramchester is a bit further along the line I will put fingers to keyboard and send something in for the Gazette. In the meantime would you be interested in a short article on how we modified Peco points to take away some of the "toylike" features? If so send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to make the next deadline.

railwayrod

I spent a very enjoyable day there yesterday despite the high cost of entry as a non-member. Managed to get all the bits I needed to complete my third LIMA Mk1 upgrade and it was nice to see the Dapol wagons in the flesh. Also a few nice layouts there.

Never were 0 gauge modellers better served..... Need one say more?

Telford is very much an annual pilgrimage for me. Although not to my modelling era it is nice to see the growth in RTR O gauge.

Just added 2 Met Railway Dreadnoughts to the kit building works queue along with some bits and pieces to start the conductor rail experiment for Moorgate.

Just back from Telford.......

Firstly: sincere thanks to G.0.G show hospitality, the management team, the stewards/floor-crew and also to the exhibition-centre staff.....truly lovely people, making for a smashing show atmosphere.

Secondly: We really enjoyed showing Rhydwyn Fawr off to the visitors, it was a privilege to have good 'footfall' of such a kind and appreciative audience........we were especially delighted to have quite a few R.M web`ers come up and introduce themselves!

We made a lot of noise.......but we steel-makers simply can`t be quiescent! :no:

A weekend of lovely memories; long treasured. :friends:

Just back from Telford.......

Firstly: sincere thanks to G.0.G show hospitality, the management team, the stewards/floor-crew and also to the exhibition-centre staff.....truly lovely people, making for a smashing show atmosphere.

Secondly: We really enjoyed showing Rhydwyn Fawr off to the visitors, it was a privilege to have good 'footfall' of such a kind and appreciative audience........we were especially delighted to have quite a few R.M web`ers come up and introduce themselves!

We made a lot of noise.......but we steel-makers simply can`t be quiescent! :no:

A weekend of lovely memories; long treasured. :friends:

A big thank you from me for keeping my 12 year old, Adam, occupied and letting him loose on your layout whilst I helped out on the Heljan stand.

He has a much better grasp of DCC than I have.

Grahame

A big thank you from me for keeping my 12 year old, Adam, occupied and letting him loose on your layout whilst I helped out on the Heljan stand.

He has a much better grasp of DCC than I have.

Grahame

`Lovely lad and a very diligent 'traction trainee'.......he`s welcome anytime! :good:

It was a very relaxed and pleasant environment to exhibit, I found, although I kept expecting to see volunteer firemen rush past checking their pagers every time Debs' siren went off behind us.

Were you invited to 'le pique-nique' on Saturday lunchtime, Debs? They were very generous with the vin rouge.

Thanks to everyone who came to say hello - Andy and Ken especially - and all those who said nice things about the layout. I gather we may be going again next year with another friend's layout and am quite looking forward to it.

I was there for nearly five hours yesterday. It was the first time in four years, my last visit being with my son in 2008.

Positives:

Great atmosphere, made by MOST of the folk there, (although I did meet one or two traders who were miserable for some reason).Staff were great too.

Lots of lovely stuff to look at, people whose names I knew, to meet, and, suprisingly, one bloke who knew my name.....or who I was.

Some lovely layouts.

Not too crowded. This year I was easily able to park at the centre, saving myself a long walk.

I had a lesson in how to use a Bob Moore's lining pen, and WILL be buying one when funds allow. What an amazing piece of engineering.

I MAY have interested Heljan in a 7mm version of Falcon. One guy on their stand was already sold on it and he seemed to be able to influence the danish man there.

Negatives.

Seemed not as well attended as my last one, although I gathered Saturday was crowded? Price too high? Or people not got as much spare money?

Some eye-watering prices. And very few bargains. Sign of the times? I would have thought the opposite might be.

Offered one trader a sale worth over £1800 for two complete models if he would offer me any sort of discount. He wouldn't even knock off £1........his choice obviously, but shortsighted? Maybe.

A couple of misery-guts traders......not the guy above, btw, but they just seemed un-interested and "mardy". Perhaps they oughtn't to have been there.......or perhaps they'd had one long, hot day already?

250 mile round trip, early start, on my own, and driving with sciatica on a VERY hot day. None of this the show's fault.

Would I go again? Undoubtedly.

Next year? Probably not, but the year after........

I had a very enjoyable weekend hopefully encouraging a few people to add DCC sound in their locos.

It was nice to meet Debs and the other operators of the steelworks which just went prove you don't have to spends wads of money on locos and stock to get a fantastic layout.

I managed to sell my 10 maroon MkI rake of coaches which I just do not have the room for as I have since built a rake of blue and grey to replace them. Mind you it was a case of "in one hand and out with the other" with the proceeds from this sale.

My workbench thread will have me finishing off the etched Warwells as I picked up 2 more kits and the cast bogies etc from John Talbot to finish them. Also from John I bought a German Cargowaggon flat with paint and transfers, should make up into a beast of a wagon! Then I went and bought a Peter Clark class 205 Thumper kit. Also got some etches from Pete Harvey that he did for me to upgrade a Skytrex PCA into an Albright & Wilson liveried one. A few other little bits and pieces sorted for these and other projects so all in all a very nice show.

Hi all of you,

This is my first time at the Gauge O Guild show. Great show...

I've posted som pictures I took, Cf. http://www.modelrailway-online.com/guildex-2012/

Just click on the photos to see them full size

Best regards, Fabrice

Bonjour Fabrice,

Félicitations pour votre visite couronnée de succès à l'exposition.

Votre création et l'artisanat était délicieux.

Meilleurs voeux à vous tous.

Debs. :bye:

I was thinking maybe all exhibition managers wear strange outfits at their shows, for example a wet suit, tutu with top hat or maybe just a rubber gimp suit!

And your choice from those three for next year is? C'mon; you know it'll boost attendance and you'll do anything to do that. :)

I was going to say hello on Saturday but you were busy gassing with Mr Welch.

First time I've been to the show as well. Most enjoyable.

Many thanks to Brian for demonstrating how to fit DCC sound into the brand new pre production class 31. It has ( currently ) given me the confidence to have a go when a) the model is available and B) when I've saved up for the chip as well.

David

And your choice from those three for next year is? C'mon; you know it'll boost attendance and you'll do anything to do that. :)

I was going to say hello on Saturday but you were busy gassing with Mr Welch.

Maybe just the Top hat!

An exhibition manager in a gimp suit would not be too much use as he would be tied up most of the time!

I ment to say hello to you Andy but when I did see you you were talking to someone else.

David

Negatives.

Seemed not as well attended as my last one, although I gathered Saturday was crowded?

A couple of misery-guts traders......not the guy above, btw, but they just seemed un-interested and "mardy". Perhaps they oughtn't to have been there.......or perhaps they'd had one long, hot day already?

The one time I attended on a Sunday some of the traders looked like they just wanted to get home (and that was first thing on Sunday). I've also seen the same at Railex as well, so now I try to get there on the Saturday if it's a two day show.

• RMweb Gold

I was there both days Saturday was crowded Sunday was a good day for meeting friends. Chris Basten convinced me to spend £400 on a MW 0-4-0t which did appear in Cambrian livery, I doubt if it ever ran up the coast line though. Ah well! modellers licence again.

Don

Hi evryone

It was a very good show and I too was pleased to see the Dapol plans "in the flesh" as well as Heljan's plans to do a class 40 and a railbus. All exciting stuff. I also managed to acquire a class 31 body which I hope to convert to a "skinhead" type rather than mess up the "real" one. Good too to see and hear the Lionheart 45xx tank which looked the business.

The outstanding layout for me was Dainton which showed how well operated steam sound could be. These guys had it all sussed and the results were awesome.

There were some bargains to be had but they required good fieldwork. I guess the traders who were miserable were not making the sales they expected.

The demos were very good and I learned a lot from Mr Cockcroft and others. Thank you gents for being prepared to pass on your techniques. Two very tiring days but well worth the travel.

Now back to the layout!

Regards to all

Martin

Archived