Noisy coal trains in Scotland

I don't know what's wrong with people today. Modern trains are quiet. They should have tried listening to an Austerity 2-8-0 with forty loose-coupled mineral wagons. Now that was noise!

Same sort of people who moan about train noise are probably the ones that infest every railway carriage, tram and bus with their hideous rackets, allegedly music, leaking out from their inadequate headphones.

Guest stuartp

There was much the same sort of hoo-haa some years ago next to Birmingham Airport.

At some point in (I think) the 1980s new houses were built in Balmullo in Fife, about a mile from the end of the runway at RAF Leuchars. at the time Leuchars was shut for runway resurfacing, and the houses were all viewed, sold and occupied during the several months this took.

When the RAF returned the two resident Phantom squadrons resumed their role of intercepting patrolling Soviet bombers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. A Phantom in full fighting trim makes an awful lot of noise flying over your house at 3am...

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing the lengths people will go to trying to get rid of things that were perfectly obvious before they moved in. As a Police officer I had more noise and nuisance complaints than I care to remember from people trying to get pubs, shops etc. shut down. Perhaps the best though was a group of residents who bought posh flats in Norwich right near the night club area and then tried to get the building of a footbridge over the river stopped because it would mean people walking home near their flats. The plans for the bridge were public before the flats were built, and the clubs were already up and running.

On a similar note I also find the modern attitude to wind farms amazing. People up in arms at having a near silent windmill near their home. Try the following options instead 1) Nuclear Power Station 2) Coal fired power station 3) No electricity!

Absolutely. Build as many windfarms as you like, but you'll still need some kind of 'conventional' backup, ready to meet demand at short notice. Windfarms are merely a (currently) fashionable and expensive sop to the more vocal environmentalists by all forms of Govt, all so that they can be 'seen' to be doing something and make joe public 'feel good' that they're helping the environment. They're expensive to build and maintain, are severely limited operationally and therefore cannot and indeed do not solve the problem.

As for waste I doubt my garden is large enough or in the right location for a massive concrete and lead lined waste tank - we tend to keep such things at reprocessing sites, which the Government seems inclined to run down and close, despite our use of nuclear power at land and sea (clever that).

Actually Windmills are bad for birds. They also cause weird magnetic anomalies. I understand (though I'm not sure) that having vertical axis and vanes along the axis are better for the environment. The gizmos can also be at the bottom, then.

Someone will always complain about anything new because they see it as an encroachment on their lives.

Best, Pete.

10 years ago I bought a new house 50 yards from a railway line. The agent was hopping around trying not to let me notice the line. Little did he know that I'd been missing for 40 years a view of trains from my bedroom window.........

And where there were about 20 trains a day then, there are now about twice as many!

Allan F

Returning to the matter at hand, I have professional experience of this issue, in various parts of the country.

SAK was never formally abandoned, from memory, so everyone who bought a house close to the line was taking a gamble. Sometimes, gambles don't pay off.

Without elaborating, certain wagons cause more noise than others. All modern hoppers are not alike!

I once investigated a noise complaint from a chap who had got hold of my personal email address and was sending me messages accusing me of intolerable noise and gassing his grandchildren, amongst other things. When I persuaded my boss to let me go and pass by his house at 0430 (the time he usually complained about, though not at - there was a train sat in the loop at the back of his house) on a chilly spring morning, I found his upstairs windows (along with those of several other houses nearby) wide open!

The railway can pretty much run what it likes, and with good reason, but remember also that there are European standards on noise and emissions which are applied to new traction and stock (the Non-mobile machinery emissions regulations are actually preventing new diesels being built for the UK at the moment because there isn't space in the loading gauge for all the emissions cleaning kit to be put on existing products). You couldn't run a railway if you had to ask all the neighbours if they were happy. NR does do certain things for neighbours (several warning boards in the peak district are not to be honked at during the dead of night, for example) and it is generally good with people about warning them when there will be night-time P.Way or civils works - I have friends who live backing on to Hillmorton Junction on the WCML and they speak well of the community liaison efforts. They are also glad that their house cost less than it might have, I am sure! Barriers and things are a slippery slope, as was learned when half of a town in South Wales ended up blagging free double glazing off the railway, because a precedent was set...

Where lines are put back, I have little sympathy because the possibility always exists and NR always responds to queries in a non-committal way, no matter where the line is (unless work is scheduled). Everyone is free to ask this of them when considering a purchase. For new works, there are also all sorts of provisions in planning law, not least letting those affected make representations. There were houses compulsory-purchased for Airdrie-Bathgate, for example.

My all-time favourite was a chap who sent in a hand-written note, enclosing a 6x4 print, complaining about a passing sand train 'playing havoc with his soft fruits' - expressed so as to suggest that this is a particular problem every homeowner faces. I drafted a reply which was very sympathetic but suggested that if he was still having trouble, the sand could not be to blame as many varieties of soft fruit thrive in sandy soil - failing which, he could try apples or similar next season as these are easily dusted.

I left the letter on the desk of the manager of the flow concerned, with a note saying 'Sent this out tonight, trust you will concur' and was out of the office for a few days before returning and giving him a copy of the genuine reply, just as he was limbering up to shout at me...

everyone think yourself lucky you dont live where I live, noisy police helicopters like to circle over our street, usually in the early hours of really warm nights when you have the bedroom windows open.

I know exactly what you mean Michael. The police 'copter for these parts is 'stabled' ? not far from us and is heard most nights.

Last month it was another airbourne problem but it wasn't so much the noise but the fear of one crashing into the roof, balloons we had a few near misses this balloon season.

I seem to remember when the Portbury branch re-opened back in 2001 that the residents of Ashton Vale and Pill were not best pleased with the Class 60 HAA combo. I think things improved (noise wise) with 66/70 and HTA/HHA, although saying that hearing a 66 start to move its heavy coal train out of Portbury and creaking, squeaking wagons at 04:45hrs must be real pain, if you don't like trains of course.

Quite a few years ago in Aylesbury residents of a new house build backing onto the Amersham line gained rate reductions because of noisy class 117,s twice an hour ,I dont know their reaction to Chilterns four trains an hour ,but most people in the town thought them prats as the line has been there for a hundred years plus.People who live alongside the Windemere branch got upset by the blowing of the horn at crossings,dont think they connected this with safety only there precious silence.

• RMweb Premium

noticed this tale, at gorebridge, over the past wee while on RAILSCOT. never mind close to the disused trackbed, the houses were on it and had been for many years, before the decision to reopen part of the waverley route meant they had to go:

before: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=371

during: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=39137

after: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=40034

I would love a house with a "grandstand" view of a main line. Although I live 100 yds from the WCML, a "fleeting glimpse" is all I see.

Over the years I remember these.

Lived at Poolstock Wigan 1952 (birth) to 1971. A view of the L&Y Pemberton Loop (Wigan Wallgate avoiding) line from my parents bedroom - a long procession of 8F & WD powered coal trains up tp the mid 60's. Spent many hours there !!

Holidays at Fairbourne in the early 60's - views of the cambrian line and steam trains coming down the bank,

Holiday at Newtonmore in 1976, a lonely farm cottage with grandstand view of the Hghland line. Late night double headed scottish sulzers keeping me awake.

Camping by the lineside at Taunton around 1974, lots of Peaks etc, & last of the Westerners.

Booking into the La Quinta Motel at Tehachapi, California and asking for a room "with a railroad view" - this is directly opposite where mid train helper loco sets are "cut off" - wife was not amused ( I was) !!!!!!!!!!!

Holiday in Whitby a couple of years ago - this was the view out of the Living room window

post-6884-0-24591900-1347398476.jpg

Brit15

We have a bit of a problem with nimbys on our patch at the moment, a whistle board is provided to warn them of approaching trains on a nearby UWC. The sighting on the user worked crossing in question is terrible due to a sharp bend and the weeds etc. growing in their garden and the crossing is the only way they can access their house, but they are always writing to MPs, TOCs, NR and the local rag about the "terrible noise the trains make" and how it "frightens & injures their livestock" (the livestock consists of 2 dogs and a very deaf goat - none of whom were affected when a day was spent observing trains/animals at the crossing).

They'd yell a damn sight louder if one of the trains didn't sound a warning and smacked into the side of their new range rover, the problem is people are stupid, they move to the countryside expecting rustling leaves and birds and instead they get what really happens, traffic, trains and animals.

I think this sums it up:

post-4569-0-31600100-1347437257.jpg

There was a big hooha in Eastleigh a few years back when the Yeoman stone trains started running - not so much the timing of them but the fact that they had built some large, detached, very expensive houses nearby which literally did shake when the trains went by.

There were some extreme cases where cracks appeared in the houses, ISTR that the solution was a strict speed limit applied to these trains on that part of the line.

Wouldn't be anything to do with the shite quality of modern houses then ?

Archived