The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Paralytic games

AMJ

Now that the Olympics and the Paralympics have finished it got me thinking how about a Paralytic games?

Just think you would fail the drugs test if you were sober!

If teams were allowed sponsorship on shirts I could see a certain stout company sponsor the Irish team, a vodka co the Russians etc.

The marathon could be turned into a pub crawl calling at pubs and each competitor is expected to drink a certain number of units.

For the 100m just imaging how many would be disqualified for wandering out of their own lane.

• RMweb Premium

Beer scooter racing, synchronised falling over, the traffic cone relay (each stage run lurched with cone on head). I don't know how many pubs are still open there but Manchester Road Bradford would be a good venue for the marathon http://www.godsowncounty.co.uk/04/yorkshire/cockersdale-and-keith-marsden-doin-the-manch/

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Not quite the same thing, but I am aware of some very lively Dutch racefans who in the few days before this year's 24 hr race down the road were playing a slightly modified form of Battleships, where if you sustained a hit you had to drink a shot of heaven-knows-what potent brew. These are the same people who make an orange-based drink called Tropicoma. Such ideas are a gift to the manufacturers of headache remedies.

In Hull when I was a student the Cottingley Road run used to be a fave pub crawl amongst students. Could make it interesting in the Uk with say a different real ale to be drunk at each stop. It could be debateable if anyone would finish the full 26 miles if there were too many bars.

I like the chess!

Not the same thing, but back in the 60's when a gang of us use to spend the weekends down at Lulworth Cove, Corfe, Swanage area, we soon had a table nearly full of empty glasses, and as the tourist came by, we would indulge in 'Chess' moving a glass into an empty space and saying something like 'My knight to your Bishop' and remove an unrelated glass to another table (or another empty space). The visitors/tourists would, stop, you could see their brains ticking over trying to understand what we were doing (we didn't know either). We had time to kill, 11am - 2.30pm and 6pm till 11pm, otherwise it was 'crib' (at a penny a point) and drinking.....

Been away to long from the Forum....

In Hull when I was a student the Cottingley Road run used to be a fave pub crawl amongst students. Could make it interesting in the Uk with say a different real ale to be drunk at each stop. It could be debateable if anyone would finish the full 26 miles if there were too many bars.

I like the chess!

Glasgow used to have (perhaps it still has?) the 'sub crawl' round the underground, which is a circle with 15 stations. The usual rule was a half pint at the nearest pub to each station. Serious players had a pint at each station. Extra rules included an extra drink, or 'go back one space and repeat', for each visit to the 'facilities'.

Have you heard of the game called 'Polish Roulette'? Three people each take a bottle of 140 proof Polish vodka into a room. Each person drinks their bottle, then one person leaves the room. The remaining two players have to guess who has left.

... you would fail the drugs test if you were sober...

Gives a potential whole new meaning to established events like high jump and shooting, and the speed events should be highlights of the fuelled and crack programme. The package relay would be a more sophisticated event than anything in conventional athletics as the goods go one way and the money the other. Would Columbia emerge at the top of the medal table in a maximum coke power play?

Guest Max Stafford

Then there is the 10000M escalator race. Here, we see Scottish reigning world champion, Englebert Humphyerdrink in training.

Dave.

After the Tyneside metro opened in the early 80's, a popular Saturday pastime for those (of all ages, i.e. 16-60) attending Shields marine college was the 'Green Line Challenge'.

At that time the 'green line' ran from Bank Foot (I think) to South Shields, and the idea was you went upto Bank Foot first thing Saturday morning and had a pint - the challenge being you had to have a pint at every stop on the green line and attempt to make it back to Shields.

No half pints, spirits or anything except beer was allowed to be drunk and whilst allowed, vomiting was severely restricted.

Naturally, this little exercise led to a regular encounters with the BTP/local plod through the chaps concerned falling off trains/platforms/in & out of pubs etc. The worst that generally happened in that instance was being given a completely incomprehensible talking to and then being asked for your name. Upon hearing a 'foreign' accent they would enquire "reet soon, ar ye a marine?" - a reply in the affirmative generally always led to either a gratis lift back to South Shields (if you were close enough), or if you were really unlucky being pushed in the direction of the metro as those fine men of the Northumberland Constabulary had had proper troublemakers to chase after.

• RMweb Premium

Suirpised that no-one has yet suggested dwile flonking, which would be a must for any paralytic games held in England. I was "capped" twice for my university college back in the 60's, and I seem to recall that it involved having to drink (or spill down one's front) the contents of an ale-filled 'gazunder' (chamber pot), quite possibly on more than one occasion. One set of rules are set out at http://en.wikipedia..../Dwile_flonking , but although my recollections are necessarily hazy, I think ours differed slightly. By the end, the game usually incorporated Pete's suggestion of projectile vomiting.

I also (just) recall participating in a four legged race round the city centre pubs. This was like a 3-legged race, but had three people, with the one in the middle being tied to those on the outside. This arrangement led to difficulties when we had to visit any gents with individual urinals, as the bloke in the middle found himself with no-where to aim at although I'm not sure that that stopped him. I remember him, possibly with a fuller bladder than his team mates, engaging in non-projectile vomiting on the last lap. which was bit messy.

DT

I am quite surprised nobody has suggested the fine sport of mural micturition. Many of us probably have achieved a personal best and my greatest achievement has got to be a set of initials several feet up a wall behind the Wheatsheaf in Felling.

But, does anybody know why searching youtube for ******* up the wall brings the top result being "on the floor" by Jennifer Lopez?

post-4569-0-13313200-1347310006.jpg

Archived