Dartmoor Rail

Gordon A

As I was in Exeter late this morning I thought a visit to Okehampton station and the Dartmoor Railway was worth an extra 25 miles each way.

This hertigae DMU was providing the rides:

post-7071-0-35136600-1347227515_thumb.jpg

A end on picture of the old goods shed and loading gauge. The goods shed is now a hostel:

post-7071-0-07664600-1347227537_thumb.jpg

A crossing V, probaly the only remaining piece of track from the goods sidings:post-7071-0-35407100-1347227552_thumb.jpg

The signal box on platform one now used as an office:

post-7071-0-38110600-1347227571_thumb.jpg

The railways two road restoration shed. The stock awaiting restoration appears to be mainly coach / multiple unit orientated:

post-7071-0-32264200-1347227586_thumb.jpg

A nicely painted class 47 poking its nose out:

post-7071-0-80324900-1347227615_thumb.jpg

Old and modern. The FGW train had just arrived from Exeter Central on a time tabled train:post-7071-0-79819700-1347227631_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-92049700-1347227655_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly the heritage DMU is used to run trains down to the main line junction on some Saturdays.

I had a good roast dinner in the cafe at the station and took a ride to Meldon quarry and back.

The model shop was also open.

Although this railway does not tick any of my railway boxes which are predominately industrial, I still thought it was worth a visit and had an enjoyable couple of hours. Parking was free.

The train was operating from Platform 2. I did not notice any disabled access from Platform 1 to platform 2, so if this is of some importance a telephone call in advance would be a good idea.

There is a buffet coach at the Meldon end, which is adjacent to the viaduct that know carries a path across the valley.

Gordon A

Bristol

First I must apologise for misleading information.

Platform can be accessed by disabled persons by driving under the railway bridge and up towards the youth hostel, where this a ramp access. I think there is some limited parking there as well.

As to FGW train times Ed I do not know you will have to check their time tables.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly the heritage DMU is used to run trains down to the main line junction on some Saturdays.

They want to run trains to the Barnstaple line but this seemed to have stalled last time I was looking at the line. There were some trains running to Stamford Courtney (just looked at the TT and there still are).

• RMweb Gold

What is the situation with the trains to and fron Exeter now please?

Every Summer Sunday FGW operate around 5 return trains from St James Park Halt (Exeter) to Okehampton and back for walkers, tourists etc. These trains are wholly funded by Devon CC. There is no other regular service at any other times at the moment (although the Invitation to Tender document for the new Greater Western franchise did contain an 'option' for services to Okehampton at some stage in the future, although what that will mean in practice isn't currently clear.

The last date of the Summer Sunday Okehampton services is 23rd September, so there are a couple of Sundays to go yet. Departures from Exeter St Davids towards Okehampton are 0908, 1107, 1310, 1509 & 1708.

• RMweb Gold

This thread has come as a pleasant surprise. A decade ago we spent a drizzly Sunday morning in May at Okehampton, being taken up to the viaduct by a 350 hp shunter, I think, where we had lovely bacon butties in a 4-CEP coach that had relatively recently formed part of the fleet that took me to work on what I still want to call No 1 Boat Train Route. I had last travelled west from Exeter by train in 1965.

More recently I had heard that the service had folded, so this is great news. If you think SW England is a soft and gentle place - Meldon Viaduct on a poor or windy day is a pretty unwelcoming location, as befits being close to the 200m contour. And the viaduct climbs at 1 in 77, too.

Every Summer Sunday FGW operate around 5 return trains from St James Park Halt (Exeter) to Okehampton and back for walkers, tourists etc. These trains are wholly funded by Devon CC. There is no other regular service at any other times at the moment (although the Invitation to Tender document for the new Greater Western franchise did contain an 'option' for services to Okehampton at some stage in the future, although what that will mean in practice isn't currently clear.

The last date of the Summer Sunday Okehampton services is 23rd September, so there are a couple of Sundays to go yet. Departures from Exeter St Davids towards Okehampton are 0908, 1107, 1310, 1509 & 1708.

This is part of the the inexpensive Dartmoor Sunday Rover ticket which also includes unlimited bus travel around the area for the day and riding on the far more scenic Gunnislake to Plymouth line.

Archived